is someone trying to hack me???

malindamya

so i just got this email on my account, and i may not be a rocket scientist, but i am pretty sure this isnt the real neopets team

Dear malindamya

One of our neomail monitors (Matt) discovered that you had posted your

email

address on our website, this causes problems that cannot be dealt with

within

our site. If you would have read the terms and conditions of the chat

boards,

you would have known this.

To clear this from you record, (three strikes and your account will be

frozen,

this is your 1st warning) (If you do NOT reply to this message within 1 day of getting it your account will permanently be deleted and ALL your connecting accounts)

reply to this message with these two things:

1. Send us the details on why you posted your email address.

2. Send us your Neopets user name and password so that we may verify

that it

was

you and not a hacker who posted the email address.

3. Your pin number

Don't worry, if you tell us your user name and password, we won't

freeze

you.

We

only advise you not to make more than four accounts.

If you follow these instructions, your user name should be cleared of

this

offense.

One more thing, we understand if you cannot remember when exactly you

posted

your email address this may be because our system is busy solving all

different

problems with the site that we do not attend to some problems

immediately. Thanks again for being premium!

Yours Sincerely,

The Neopets Team

It's pretty simple really. If you have an account with someone, they have access to your information. Even if they can't see your pw they have admin rights and could change it at will.

No one would ever have just cause to see your password or pin numbers when they run the site it's on.

(three strikes and your account will be frozen, this is your 1st warning) (If you do NOT reply to this message within 1 day of getting it your account will permanently be deleted and ALL your connecting accounts)
I'm amused by this part. If this was actually true, the part about the three strikes, then why would they freeze your account after what they clearly say is the first? Scammers. *shakes head*

Well it's unfortunate that there are a few people out there who would fall for this sort of thing, and even more unfortunate that there are idiots who take advantage of them.

A rule of thumb (from TDN's password security article):

No responsible organisation will ever ask you to send them your login details (except through their official login page) - if you get an e-mail or any other form of message asking for your login details, then it is definitely a scam.

There are no exceptions to the above rule.

It never ceases to amaze me that I have clients who are paranoid about having their identity stolen and OMG the sky is falling but think that I should just give them information (for example) on their husband's account, even though they arent a signatory on the account and legally I can not give them information, just because "well I'm his wife." You would think people would learn, they never do!

It's good to see so many sensible people, I hear people who fall for scams like these and I despair while wondering how they manage to put the right shoes on the right feet. With the VAST amount of information TNT has given us to do with never giving out you password EVER, you must wonder what goes through these people's mind. Oh well it could be worse I guess, they could be falling for one of those "give me your password and I'll give you a zillion neopoints and 50 paintbrushes etc"

there is 1 exception to the rule and that is www.pjb1.net where your account is made for you and they enter the password you want but only 1 person makes the accounts

Well that's for registration, not for actually logging in. :) Technically you're not sending them your login details because your login doesn't exist yet. :P