Leonardo Da Vinci

dailyneogirl_

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm more of an agnostic. I don't know if a God does or doesn't exist. The more I learn the more I believe that no one individual has the answers or can understand the entire infrastructure of the world or universe. I wonder how some people feel so strongly that something can or can't exist @___@.

As an aside, I'm for teaching all the theories on how the Earth was created. Unless someone is a billion years old and saw the world created... how can they say beyond a shadow of the doubt that any one theory is the correct one?

If there was a God then why would he allow so much suffering in the world?

So.. I'll play devil's advocate here. From my understanding God wants people to choose their own path. If he controled everything how would we learn and grow? From my understanding, God wants people to choose to follow him, not to force them too.

I have a respect for people who truly believe there is a God. It takes such faith. I don't have the same respect for Atheists though ^__^;. It's a lot easier to denounce the existance of something than to believe in it. Plus, most the atheists I've known are so confrontational o.o;.

• 4 weeks later...

The DaVinci Code is fiction. Anyone thinking so must be very easily impressionable. o_O; Yes, there are some facts about DaVinci and his life, but the theories are all false.

And to further that, the Priory of Sion is a huge hoax. Yes, there was an actual Priory, but it was created in 1956. They forged documents, made up lies, and tried to tell people the Priory was from the medieval times. If the Priory of Sion is false, than nothing in the DaVinci Code can really be taken as truth, since it's BASED on the whole story of the Priory.

"It is called scotoma. The mind sees what it wants to see." - Sir Leigh Teabing, The DaVinci Code

I swear some people...

I love debating this with various people including non-Christians. I'm atheist by the way.

Ok Lets get one thing down. When the author said at the beginning of the book, that all events in this book are fiction and any resemblence of character names to real people is coincedence, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERYTHING ABOUT DAVINCI IS FALSE. It just means that a guy wasn't shot in the Lourve and had a pentacle engraved into his body and that someone didn't try to shove their knee through one of Leonardo's paintings.

Now a lot of debate and research has been gone throguh because of this book but what people should study is not the Da Vinci Code but the Holy Blood, Holy Grail book created as a joint effort by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh. Dan Brown basically used their idesas to create a fictional story that became immensely popular and spread the theory to the public. Dan Brown was nearly sued by the two authors for using their book but got off with no charges. Evidence of his use of their work can be seen in the name of one of the main characters in the story, Leigh Teabing. Leigh for Richard Leigh and Teabing for Michael Baigent as Teabing is Baigent rearragned. Neat isnt it...

Now onto the main topic. Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh spent a decade researching on the topic of the Holy Grail and came up with extraordinary results and theories. I refuse to explain into detail about all their work but a great History channel feature was on all about their book and its theories and is an incredible source of information for both believers and non-believers. It explains all about the Priory of Sion and other proposed ideas and if you have the time, pick up the Holy Blood, Holy Grail book yourself at a local bookstore and read the original idea.

What Dan Brown introduced into his novel that Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh did not was the incorporation of Da Vinci and his paintings as mroe proof to the whole scandal of the Bible. Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh do not support these ideas of Dan Brown's but they are interesting nontheless. You cant ignore the ghastly similarity of the disciple next to Jesus of a woman. And how is it that the two figures are positioned so awkwardly yet so perfectly in order to form a significant V? Also, in the original painting of the Last Supper, there is definitely a floating hand that holds a knife in the painting right behind Judas who as most people know betray Jesus. It's all very interesting and after reading the whole Da Vinci Code and Holy Blood, Holy Grail, you cant help but think and ponder.

Now for all you devout Catholics out there, you can't just dismiss this whole story and theory as false without even glancing at it. The whole theory is a facinating one whether you are religious or not and while these men try to debunk a huge part of the Bible, they do more research into the religion than most devout Catholics or Christians in the world. They do not spawn their ideas out of thin air and imagination, they support their beliefs with huge amounts of evidence.

If you haven't even read the Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the Da Vinci Code and grasped all that they have to say, I believe that you shouldn't even be posting in this topic or talk about how stupid the theory is.

My last word on this topic, I don't wish to persuade you to believe, but at least persuade you to try two incredible pieces of literature that will make your head spin and twirl.

Nice one WEVIl,and welcome back.

I actually read the Illustrated version of the Da Vinci Code,and it helped a lot when it came to understanding different objects,like the Rose Line and everything.

Well thank you Wevil, and I think that that would have been an excellent book report. Now off to the closest library.

...walking...

Oh wait, it's midnight. Ok, I'll get the book later.

Mod Edit: Stay on topic, please.