House or Apartment?

Sapientia Paucis

I was wondering whether people here prefer living in houses or apartments, and how much that depends on where they live.

I've got an awesome three-room apartment in a city, and it's plenty of space for me (and all my shoes :P). As long as I live alone, I'd rather be in an apartment. I spent most of my life in my parents' current house, and whenever I go back to visit them it just seems too big... who needs all that space? Besides, my place is easier to clean, and living in a walk-up means that I get a tiny bit of exercise every time I go in and out.

I also prefer cities to suburbs, and I never want to live somewhere I'll need a car... I ended up at my school because I decided that any college that let first years have cars was too remote for me, and the other school I was seriously considering did.

Hmm well it is hard to say for me, Alone, I would be very happy with an Apartment, especially in my other homes like in Manhattan. But in VA, i am glad i dont have an apartment. Because we live in a house that we know everyone on our street. Its a real plus too, there are always party's, and they are like our second family. So.. again... It all depends for me at least..

I prefer apartments, but the apartment has to be not in a block of 10 other apartments.

I like the old art deco ones which the big rooms, high ceilings and funky feel.

Where we are living at the moment is an old Victorian house which as been renovated into 2 apartments, we have the downstairs one. It means that we have a share yard with the upstairs and don't feel boxed in by 10 other families living in the same unit :)

I don't know what is my preference. A nice house near a lake sounds like something that would really please me in future. I like the nature :)

As of now, I live in the city, in apartment. I don't particulary like this apartment. It's cheap, with carpet... It's a 6 units building, and we are on the semi basement level. Meh. Could really be better. But it's convenient because I'm just 20-30min away from Uni campus and it has all transport convenience as well.

I'd love to have a city apartment where I could hang out with some of my kids some weekends, stay over with my husband or just crash occasionally, but there is NO WAY I would live in a box with people on either side of my living space, even if they DID holler gesundheit when I sneezed. shudder.

Apartments were okay when I was single, but I still always had roomies so I don't know that "alone in my space" feeling. I think I would get lonely.

I like the family feeling that Jun mentioned. Knowing everyone in my street/community. My daughter was married 7 months ago in our neighbour's backyard!

I've experienced living in both and I suppose the best way to answer your question for me is that it depends on whether you have kids or not. When I was single and even when married and had no kids, the apartment was great. It was small, easy to clean, and most shops are just either in the building or down the street. It was really convenient. But when we started having kids (we have 4 now), living in an apartment was just out of the question (can you imagine the noise of 4 kids all under the age of 8?) :woot: So we moved to a house and the kids have their space to run around and make noise. Its a bit harder to maintain but I'm beginning to enjoy having my own garden ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would prefer a house, noise is less of an issue, and I like the space a house brings. Though I certainly can see the argument for having an apartment, I'd rather have the more personal feel of a house.

Well, my answer will be EXTREMELY biased considering that as long as I can remember, I've lived in a house.

I do vaguely remember bits and pieces of our time in a condo, but it was only somewhere between 8 months to a year that we stayed there, so I only remember things like.... hiding in my parents' room on easter, and my Grannie and Grandpa coming to visit and me just sitting at out little plastic kiddie table.

Ahhh good times. But I do prefer out house much more.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest shanemk

Well we moved here to more-urban Indiana from rural Virginia, we had a pretty nice double wide trailer, we put in wood floors, painted walls, floor lining, new carpet, 2 nice sized porches for the front/back. Now we live in a 3 bedroom apt and I LOVE IT!!! Not only is the mall and walmart and so so much more literally only a 6 or at most 15 minute walk away, but the apartments I live in, its like a bunch of little apartment houses together in this area and there are always people around and about and it feels so ALIVE!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post on topics that have been inactive for more than 3 weeks.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.