Advertisements

*SG*

i'm a premium member. i see no ads.

my son, he's not premium - he doesn't play nearly enough to justify the $$. I have seen his screen... there are too many ads. now there are ads on the pop-up screens on flash games. just lousy...

• 3 weeks later...

If you're getting pop-up ads or any interactive ads that cover the page or drop down or otherwise cover up the playing area of the page, please tell The Neopets Team. A recent editorial said that ads that are intrusive (break into the page and go over the page) are not welcome at Neopets.com. That makes sense - Neopets is a business; it is a bad business if you upset or drive away your customers by making it impossible to play because the playing area is covered by an ad.

well lots of ads are needed have you considered where they store a couple hundred million player profiles? 165,847,525 total owners and 244,847,524 total neopets to be exact. They don't just appear from magic they are stored on servers very big very expensive servers. Also lets not forget all the web content they have to store and maintain. Neopets isn't a small website. lastly what about cost to maintain all the traffic to the site? They still have to turn a profit from all the free members. Besides a few moments on inconvenience for you helped keep neopets free. I don't use an ad blocker just because i want them to make money from me viewing those pages. When you use adblock or whatever neopets doesn't make money from you going to their website.

did you miss everything i said? without those ads you would be paying money for a lesser product. The ads are 60% of their total gross. The more money made in other places with less money will be needed by site revenue. To they want a hideous website i would think not but thats the only way to keep it running free. Is money their larger goal? Yes. as it is with all companies perhaps you all think TV should do away with commercials? you would pay an awful lot for the shows you watch. The ads are not pointless they play a vital role to neopets survival.

Maybe I'm missing something but all the add blockers I had on my FF none work on Neopets because all of their adds are flash based now.

Anyone have a way around that?

Personally, I believe that the quantity of advertisements on the Neopets site grossly exceeds the amount required to sustain a reasonable stream of revenue for Viacom. I think that with the number of visitors they get on a regular basis, a small number of un-intrusive ads (even assuming a low click-through rate and small PPC payments) would still get them a massive quantity of money, easily enough to maintain the site and make a reasonable profit at the same time.

Of course, I don't have the click-through and PPC figures, and I don't know about Viacom's hardware and staff costs, so I don't have the maths to back up that guess. If anybody has some solid, accurate figures on that, it would certainly help to clear things up a bit. :yes:

Maybe I'm missing something but all the add blockers I had on my FF none work on Neopets because all of their adds are flash based now.

Anyone have a way around that?

TDN's guide should work for everything except the ads embedded in the Neopets flash games. :yes:

TDN's guide should work for everything except the ads embedded in the Neopets flash games. :yes:

TY! Out of all this hunting you think I would have found that lol

well Viacom is still recouping losses from buying neopets for 168 million on top of that the economic crisis isn't helping things

They're still recouping losses? o_O I would have thought a company that large could easily have swallowed a 'mere' $168,000,000. Of course, the economic crisis changes things, but that's hitting everybody pretty badly...

I think I'll try and find the time to dig up some revenue reports or something from Viacom. XD

TY! Out of all this hunting you think I would have found that lol

Well I wrote the guide, so my mind went to it pretty naturally. :P

• 4 months later...

well, when i'm on my bros computer, there are a lot, but on my own computer, its easier, because i have firefox, and i have an add-on that blocks flash things, unless you click the blocked item, that means the pages load quicker and the spot taken by the avder. is reduced, i think that's the quickest way to block advertisements

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephanie~) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days. I strongly advise you to check out the rules. ;)

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Stephanie~ if you have any questions regarding this action.