IE problems

Unstream

For some reason, a lot of the toolbars on top of IE are missing, and not ones that I installed. So I can't view history, clear my cookies, or anything! I don't know what's wrong with this. I woke up one morning and this is how it was. It's IE8 Beta 2, which I just installed a couple of days before this happened. I tried uninstalling it, but the option to remove it in the "Add or Remove Programs" wasn't there. I installed IE7 again, and nothing happened. How can I fix this?

Here's a screenshot:

IE.jpg

You can press "alt" to have it show temporary. Then you can go in tools and check a box to keep the menu permanently.

I haven't used IE in years, but a quick Google search gave me the answer. The only time I'm forced to use IE is on my sister's laptop... and I had no idea how to show menus. So now I know :)

I pressed alt and nothing happened.

I also noticed that there is no title. Right beside the IE icon at the top left hand corner of the window, there should be a title or heading, which isn't there...

It looks like you have a messed up install... not too rare with beta software. :( Do you have system restore enabled? Perhaps you could use it to restore to a point before IE messed up?

You will need to reinstalled IE 8 Beta 2 again. Microsoft are good at not letting you up and down grade IE. Installing IE7 over the top of IE8 will just make a mess of settings, etc. So unless you have a system restore point as Sky Shadow suggests you should go with IE8. I am using it with no issues so far on my PC so its not all bad.

Agh, the only thing is that after I downloaded IE, I also downloaded Opera and Gimp, so if I use the system restore, I'm gonna have to reinstall both of them right?

I guess I'll just reinstall IE8 and see what happens.

Yes, reinstalling the IE8 beta should definitely be tried first. :yes: System restore is the second-to-last resort (the last resort is reinstalling the operating system). If you use it, it *should* roll back any changes you made (installations, files, etc.).

Also, you could try using an alternative browser. :P

Well I use Firefox most of the time, it's just that Neopets works best on IE and it's nice to have two browsers when dealing with side accounts.

If IE won't work I guess I'll just install Opera.

Safari is also a pretty good choice if you want an alternative browser. :yes: Any luck re-installing IE8?

:D yay it works now!

One question though. It always says my add-ons are disabled, but when I look at my add-ons, all of them are enabled. How do I fix that? It's annoying because the information bar keeps coming up.

You could try manually disabling and re-enabling all of your add-ons. I haven't run into that problem before though, so I'm not sure if it'll work.

Congratulations on getting your browser back by the way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you are opening the safe mode version (all optional features/add-ons disabled)? Most newly installed browsers will also put this next to the normal version in the start menu, etc. If you are using Windows Vista, type "Internet Explorer" in the search (Start Menu) and see what comes up. If two versions come up, try the safe mode first. If it is the same, try the normal version next. If that doesn't help, my only guess is that all those add-ons are considered incompatible and automatically disabled.

My other theory is to right-click inside any of the empty spaces on the toolbars and check Menu Bar. If it doesn't list the toolbars when you right-click, try right-clicking somewhere else until you get the list.

As for System Restore, it won't do a single thing (unless you installed it in the "WINDOWS" folder on your hard drive). System Restore is only for the system files, system settings, drivers, OS, and anything else important for the system. Unfortunately, I doubt IE fits in that category (as well as the other browsers installed) so they won't be affected unless they rely on files in the system folder or certain system settings. As stated in System Restore information: "You can use System Restore to undo harmful changes to your computer and restore its settings and performance." Also, I have played around on Windows XP for a long time which includes finding out exactly what System Restore actually restores.

Sorry if I offended anybody (I will go suicidal if I stand around helpless even though I might have a possible solution(s) that everybody is overlooking no matter how obvious it is) but if you are using Windows Vista, I don't know very much but all OS's follow basic guidelines (and my dad won't let me get anywhere near his laptop since it is the only computer in my house with Windows Vista).

I will download/install it to see if I get the same problem. If I do then I will provide the solution I used.

I may not even be in the right area of this, but i have a problem, not huge but VERY annoying, I can get on every site, google, hotmail ext. BUT it will NOT let me connect to neopets!!!!!! I have the newest internet explorer and everything else is working fine..JUST neopets..What can I do?/?