ATTN: Cookie Grabber security measures!

Guest Macness

Guest Macness

JUST TO CLARIFY: THERE WERE NO COOKIE GRABBERS EVER ON THE DAILY NEOPETS! b) It's just a security precaution!

Here are a couple of steps you can take to keep your account safe:

1 - Do NOT visit any kind of suspicious off-site links from TDN Forums. If you believe somebody's account has been compromised and is posting suspicious off-site links, please contact an online staff member IMMEDIATELY.

2 - Use a more secure browser, like Firefox, Opera or Safari. These browsers, unlike Internet Explorer, do not make a direct connection with the cookies folder on your Windows machine. They themselves use their specific cookie folder, which is stored in a encrypted profile. Plus, they have been proved to be more safe than IE. Even if you're an avid IE user, please have a temporary backup solution so you don't risk getting cookie grabbed.

If you follow these precautions, you'll be safe.

Thanks.

Thanks!!! I hope that no body clicks on the link for now. I have changed my password just incase, but unfortunately can not use FF at work and have to use IE. Hopefully everyone will realise this in time!!! I keep editing my post back to say about the scam too, but ofcourse it keeps getting changed back!!

Guest Macness
Thanks!!! I hope that no body clicks on the link for now. I have changed my password just incase, but unfortunately can not use FF at work and have to use IE. Hopefully everyone will realise this in time!!! I keep editing my post back to say about the scam too, but ofcourse it keeps getting changed back!!

You can get Firefox Portable, which just works without installing. :)

THANK YOU.

I have changed both my Neopets and TDN forums passwords so I'll be safe. I don't like cookie grabbers (what's the point of them anyway)...

I'm going to keep changing my passwords (is that a good idea?) until the CGer stops trying to get our passwords. (Which is hopefully soon.)

(And I'm using Firefox at the moment, BTW.)

I know who did this :P

I find it quite funny

This made a bunch of people laugh

Really? wow, I was scared out of my socks! Now I should be more aware of my URL whenever I login to any site or foum...I actually was fooled when I logged in from the corner link when it still was the scammer's site. Now, I hope that my account's safe, but I'm not sure for how long..

Plus, they have been proved to be more safe than IE, as NO cookie grabber can EVER steal your sensitive info if you're using one of these browsers.

The quoted statement is false. Opera, Firefox, and Safari are not immune to cookie grabbers. They simply have fewer exploits than IE.

Edit: Well, those were some amusing replies that are now gone.

Opera, Firefox, and Safari are NOT immune to cookie grabbers. Cookies can only be read by their creators. This means that a cookie on neopets.com cannot be read by google.com (and vice versa). So, a user cannot put a cookie grabber on badcookiegrabbersite.com and get your Neopets cookie. It's physically impossible.

Cookie grabbers for your Neopets account can only exist on Neopets.com. Cookie grabbers for your TDN Forums account can only exist on TDN Forums.com. This is done by posting malicious code in posts, which, with this forum software, is impossible.

Hopefully this makes sense :)