colleges

Patch

Since you're in the US if your Neopets UL is right, here are the best, average, and worst schools:

Best: Harvard, Yale, MIT, Cornell, Stanford, JHU, Caltech

Average: Rest of the Ivy League Schools*, Most schools.

Worst: Those in the middle of nowhere.

I could give you more specific schools if you give me a field of interest.

*Contrary to public belief, Ivy League does not donate an excellent school. Ivy League is a group of college sport teams located in the Northeast, and does not donate academic performance.

i would suggest looking into a community college if you have a really good one in your area thats accredited and has easy tranferability. many of your friends will want you to go with them or may say that it isnt "real" college but he real fact about it is that you get the same education, 1/20th the price and way smaller class sizes. you just have to be careful about transferring credits but that goes for any school unless you do go to a big one that offers a master in what you want to do . community colleges area also good if you dont know what you wan tot go to school for. you can take all the basic stuff and get he specialized schooling else where. unless your parents are paying or you are loaded then disregard what i said. i know you are all the way in cali but if you want veterinarian then OSU is one of the best you can go to. their facility is top notch and you can get a doctorate.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do the first two years at a community college and your last two (or however many) at the college of your choice, you still get the same piece of paper in the end. Only you've paid less for it. You also aren't forced to live on campus as a freshman. You usually still get the same general requirements. Just look carefully at what is transferable credit and what is not.

Dartmouth is a very good school. Look up which ones are rated well overall and in your field of study, then look at the culture of the school to make sure you'll fit in.

In the end, you're the only one who can decide which route is right for you. But keep in mind that a community college can be a great place to start. Good luck to you in your search!

good point about switching half way through. i did not know that you could do that

It doesn't work with every school. Figure out where you want to go later and make sure that your credits are transferable for that college. It usually works very well for in-state university systems. It's hit and miss for some other schools. Not all classes are transferable. The rules can get a little confusing, but it's worth a few hours of figuring it out to save a few thousand dollars.

I got kicked out of community college *cough* That's what I get for getting pushed into college when I didn't really want to be there, I suppose. lol

Trying again at a different school this fall though, should work out better, seeing as it's my choice this time :P

like i said, if your dad is paying for it then go wherever, but if you have to foot the bill then i guess you'll have to tell him to deal. Lets say you spend 30,000 a year for minimum 4 years(more if its doctorate) that would be 120,000+ dollars in loans you'll be paying off for a long long time. compared to like 6,000 a year at community college or free if you get financial aide. no brainer.

i'm going to usc (columbia, south carolina) in the fall. from what i can tell it's a pretty awesome school.

its not ridiculously expensive, and it's not too difficult to get scholarships there. I know they offer courses for students interested in pre-med, and they have a good reputation with their history courses. The environment is awesome, the teachers (that i've met) are nice and helpful, you should check it out.

of course its not ivy league, but its not a community college either.

i would most likely start in fall 2010 or i might take o couple of years off. but my school counselor is going off on me telling how i must start looking now or suffer

okay thats cool. you should start looking so you know where you want to go when the time comes, but it still sounds like you have a lot of time so dont stress. I would try to narrow it down to 2 or 3 schools the summer before your senior year so you know where to apply to. Applications can be costly so you probably dont want to apply to more than 5 or 6 schools. I only applied to 3.

Also, i really dont recommend taking a year or so off. It sounds like fun, and it would be, but chances are you'd never end up going back to school. Either because you never end up wanting to go back, or because no school accepts you because you havent been to school in so long.

are you a rising junior?

you should just stay a year ahead and not wait for a year, believe me you wont want to go back, you'll find someone special to stay for, you'll get a "good" job and not want to leave. things happen and you change your mind. also i recommend taking the boring and most appealing classes first so you wont be dreading them for 4 years and take them right before graduating. it sucks. now ill climb gingerly from my soapbox :)

you should just stay a year ahead and not wait for a year, believe me you wont want to go back, you'll find someone special to stay for, you'll get a "good" job and not want to leave. things happen and you change your mind. also i recommend taking the boring and most appealing classes first so you wont be dreading them for 4 years and take them right before graduating. it sucks. now ill climb gingerly from my soapbox :)

I wish I could find the articles, but I'm pressed for time, so I'll dig them up and post them later. Recent studies have shown that there are a lot of people that benefit from a year off before starting college. They admit that it's not for everybody, though.

I knew that I would go on for some sort of extra schooling, but I went ahead and took a little time off before I started college. It worked for me, but it may not be for everybody.

[edited to add references below]

NACAC Article

Harvard Admissions: An encouragement to take a year off

Article about taking time off by Harvard's Dean and Director of Admissions

Article about the book "The Gap Year Advantage"

NY Times article

There's more information out there, too. Just google "taking time off before college".