Pugh's Reign

Ruto

Prolouge:

"Lydia, everyone knows that Bigfoot is just a myth. When will you learn to grow up," Joseph teased. Elizabeth whacked him on the shoulder. "Oh, Joseph, come off of it. Let her believe in her little fantasies." Lydia glared at both of them. "Elizabeth, Bigfoot is no fantasy. Some scientists have evidence that he actually exists. How can you be so naive?" The three, siblings, ages 10, 12, and 14, continued to joke around and debate while walking through a forest close to their home. They had been gone for almost an hour and were beginning to lose their way.

Lydia stopped the conversation and looked at the bushes to their right. Something was rustling around, and Lydia, being the curious 10-year-old that she was, dove straight into the greenery. Elizabeth pulled her back and glared at her. "What do you think you're doing? There are creatures here that can bite you and give you a disease!" Lydia ignored her and searched frantically through the brush. "Listen, I'm the eldest here, and you need to heed me as long as we're away from home. Understood?" Joseph noticed a squirrel run out of the bushes. "See, Lydia? That's all that was there," he explained. The children moved along, until the rustling grew louder. Before any of them had time to react, two large creatures--most certainly not wild animals--emerged from the trees and attacked. Lydia tried to run away, but Joseph picked up a stick and threw it at the creatures. "Hey! Get out of here!" Elizabeth shoved Joseph out of the way. "You idiot! RUN!"

The kids dashed away from the monsters as fast as they could, but to no avail. One of the creatures caught Joseph and threw him into a tree. The other one blocked the way out of the woods with its enormous foot. With nowhere else to run, Lydia and Elizabeth were grabbed and examined. Elizabeth was tossed aside, but the creature kept hold of Lydia. It started walking away, leaving Joseph and Elizabeth injured on the ground. "Lydia! LYDIA," they screamed. The other creature took something out of his pocket and threw it on the ground. It looked to be a red, glowing ball that grew brighter and brighter until sight was impossible. With one last shout, the two remaining children disappeared into thin air. They simply vanished.

The place where the children were abducted look just like what it was before the creatures arrived. There was only one exception, however; the glowing red ball was still there. An inscription was written on it, although impossible for an average person to decode. No one knew of the kidnapping of the children, and as of now, it's as if no one ever met them.

Tell me what you think, and I'll add some more later. ;)

I'm not very good at rating stories, but I can say that you did an excellent job with the prologue. I'm looking forward to you adding more!

Thanks! :D

Seven years later...

In downtown Miami, California, a police station received another report of bank robbery. Officer Strat was looking over the evidence. "This man has been seen in 5 different banks in California. The only thing witnesses can say is that he has a huge scar on his arm. He has no criminal history other than now." The officer closed the files and sighed. "This will be quite a challenge," he proclaimed, smiling.

Meanwhile, the said robber was in his hideout, which was under a dumpster in an alley. He stuffed the cash away and sat down for a moment. I'm getting tired of this, he thought. Maybe it's about time to quit the criminal business. But no one will give me a job, not after this. The man sighed. I'm so pathetic. I can't even support myself.

As this was happening, a woman was browsing through the streets of New York City. She had just then retired for the day, and was heading back home. When she arrived, she turned on the television and studied the evening news. This woman had always been thoroughly interested in current events, and would never miss a newscast at night. The top story was that a gang of thugs were harrassing people up and down the streets. I think the news media is running out of things to talk about. None of their stories have been interesting, lately. As she lied back in her chair and listened to the news, something caught her eye.

The man climbed out of his hideout just in time to face helicopters swarming around the area. “We’ve found the thief! I repeat, we have found the thief! We’re en route to capture him and bring him back to headquarters! Over!†The pilot set the radio down and signaled some police cars to chase after the robber. He cursed to himself and dashed away from the scene, with the police close behind him. He ran in and out of alleys searching for a place to escape the cops. Eventually, the cars blocked the way out, and the policemen came dashing afterwards, their guns held high in the air.

“And now with our final story: There has been a massive police chase in downtown Miami, Florida, and it’s still running large. The police are hunting down a five-time bank burglar who unknowingly revealed his secret cash storage. CBS is viewing this chase live right now.†The lady sat forward in her chair and watched the pursued man. “Where does this seem familiar?†She quickly turned the TV off, ran into her car, and drove away.

The robber looked around frantically for something to block gunfire with. He grabbed the lids off of two trashcans and guarded his body and head, while inching back in the alley. The man jumped into a hole below a building and held his gun out. When any policemen tried to get in, he would fire. He was ready for anything.

The car arrived at the airport, and the lady hurried inside to the counter. “I need the next flight to Miami, Florida, and fast!†The attendant seemed not to rush too much, and took her time registering the ticket. “Name please?†The lady replied, “Elizabeth Hooreâ€.

The robber kept firing at the policemen coming by. I’ll never get out of here if I keep up this tactic. There has to be a way out. He looked around from the safety of his hole and spotted the top of a door nearby. He threw the lids at the officers and kept firing on his way to safety. The door opened, and the man rushed inside. Below the rotting staircase was a small hatch door, and he quickly jumped inside and latched the door shut. The policemen barged in and searched around the house. The man held his breath for what seemed like forever, until the police finally gave up and left. He waited a few minutes before coming out, and the coast was clear. He breathed a heavy sigh of relief and decided to stay inside for a while.

Elizabeth arrived at the Miami airport and rented a car to drive to the crime scene. This can’t be possible. Could he actually…? She arrived at the alley she had scene on TV and cautiously moved around. At that time, the man came out and found Elizabeth standing there. “Don’t move,” he threatened while holding his gun. She held her hands up, and then looked at his facial features. “Joseph…”

Joseph readied his gun. “Shut your mouth and get on the ground.” Elizabeth ignored the order and looked him in the eye. “Joseph, you truly don’t recognize your own sister?” He held the gun down. Elizabeth continued, “You’re only 19 years old, and yet you have reduced yourself to robbing banks and gunning people down?” She shook her head. “I am quite ashamed of you, Joseph.” Elizabeth turned away from him. “I’m going home, where I once was. At least there, I can look back on our childhood, and remember the innocent kids we were. You, me, Lyd--” Elizabeth stopped in mid-sentence. If Joseph was alive, where was Lydia? Tears formed in her eyes, and she turned back around. “Joseph, we need to find Lydia.”

Joseph put the gun away. “How are we going to find her? She was carried off in the woods years ago. God knows if she’s still alive.” Elizabeth gasped. “Exactly! Lydia might be somewhere in the woods. Those creatures had to come from somewhere hidden, and the woods is the only place where they can conceal themselves.” Joseph thought for a moment and smiled. “Let’s take a trip back home.”

Ding! We have a winner! Antiaircraft, you win today's prize! A single chapter from the story! Congratulations! x_x

EDIT: I'm not sure if double-posting is allowed here, so I'll just add the next part to this post.

Elizabeth thought for a moment and sighed. “You’re all over the news, Joseph. You can’t just walk out in public now. You need a disguise.” Joseph looked toward his left. “There’s an old, abandoned costume shop just around the corner. I’ll bet it still has some useful tools in there.” He led the way and Elizabeth followed. The two went inside and searched the premises. Elizabeth found a wig and set it atop Joseph’s head. “Now to change your face.” After several minutes, the siblings were ready to depart to the airport. “Get in the car, Joseph. The less you can be noticed, the better.”

Once again, the car arrived at the airport, and the two quickly moved out of the car and into the building. “Don’t look people in the eye,” Elizabeth whispered. “We can’t afford getting caught.” Joseph obeyed and silently followed her. She purchased two tickets for Branson, Missouri and boarded the plane a few minutes later. Joseph and Elizabeth sat down and waited for the plane to take off. During that time, a lady on the plane took a second glance at Joseph. “Young man, forgive me, but do I know you from somewhere?” Joseph shifted. “I’m sorry, ma’am, you must have me mistaken for someone else.” The lady hesitated, and then walked away to her seat. Joseph sighed of relief.

After a few hours of flying, the plane finally landed, and Elizabeth and Joseph walked out of the plane. They rented a car and began their drive home. “I just can’t believe it, Joseph,” she sighed, “that we’re coming home after about six or seven years. I’m just ashamed of myself that I didn’t do it earlier. Something, I suppose, kept me from returning. It’s just hard to explain.” Joseph remained silent and looked out the window. Elizabeth continued, “I don’t suppose you’ve had much luck in your life, huh?” Joseph stayed focused on the window but replied, “You don’t know what it’s like to resort to crime. It’s just…inescapable. Once you’ve done it, there’s no going back.” He turned to Elizabeth. “You know that, once we find Lydia, I’ll have to move elsewhere, right? I can’t endanger both of you just because you try to cover for me.” Elizabeth avoided eye contact and pulled up to the driveway. “We’re here.”

They both stepped out of the vehicle reluctantly, then nervously knocked at the door. While waiting for a reply, the two siblings looked at each other as if saying, “Whatever Mom thinks of us, we’ll still be family.” The mother answered the door and looked at them. “Can I help you two?” Elizabeth stepped forward, tears in her eyes. “I’m Elizabeth, and this is Joseph. We’re home, mom.” After a few moments of hesitation, the mother spoke up. “Listen, I don’t know you two, and quite frankly, I never had any children. Please leave this porch before I call the police.” The door shut, leaving Joseph and Elizabeth thoroughly confused.

I'm sorry about the delay, but here is the next part! :D

“What happened?” Elizabeth knocked on the door again. No answer. Joseph looked at her. “You don’t think…that mother caught…amnesia…do you?” Elizabeth looked at the ground. “I sure hope not. Although she is our mother, we need to focus on finding Lydia right now. Perhaps she could help us out with mom’s problem.” Joseph nodded and led the way to the woods.

Elizabeth searched the woods thoroughly, occasionally calling for Lydia. Joseph wasn’t watching where he was walking, and tripped over something. “Joseph, get a hold of yourself. This is not the time for stumbling.” She looked at the object he tripped over and picked it up. “Hey, come here. Does this look familiar to you?” In her hand was the red ball. Joseph studied the sphere with great intensity. He thought back to the day of the attack.

Joseph fell out of the tree and groaned. There was an enormous cut on his arm, and he could hardly stand the pain. The boy looked at Elizabeth, great concern in his eyes. He watched as the creature carried Lydia away. “Lydia!” Joseph looked at the ball that fell on the ground. What is that, he thought. The next thing he knew, the ball released an explosion of light, and he was traveling through some vortex. His vision faded.

“That’s the thing that separated us.” Fury grew inside Elizabeth, and she threw the ball down. The ball turned upside down, revealing numerous buttons. Joseph picked it back up. “I wonder if something happens if you push the right buttons?” Elizabeth turned away. “Worry about your little toy; I’ll worry about our sister!” Joseph continued with the buttons, a little intrigued by the design. He clicked the smallest button, and the ball began to glow again. Elizabeth glanced behind her, then gasped. “Not again! Get out of here!” It was too late, however. They vanished before they had time to even start running.

Joseph and Elizabeth lied collapsed on the ground. The area they appeared in was not the woods, but more of a grassy plain. Joseph awoke and sat up. “Where are we?” Elizabeth opened her eyes and looked around. She stood, then helped Joseph up. “I’m not quite sure. Perhaps we’ve been transported to somewhere north in the U.S?” She walked around, searching the region. “It is quite beautiful, however.” Joseph remained silent.

After several minutes of searching, Elizabeth heard something in the distance. A figure was flying through the air, although not very well. “Yes, yes! It’s working,“ it shouted. The figure seemed to be a girl dressed in wizard robes. “Wait, no, stop!“ She fell to the ground next to Joseph and looked up. “What’s up?” Joseph backed up a little. “Uh, hey. Can I help you?” Where did she come from? She looks like a nerd. Elizabeth stepped up to the girl. “Hi there. Could you tell us where we are?” The girl studied the two siblings. “You guys aren’t from here, are you? Well, I’m Kepu. And you are…?” Joseph filled in. “We are Elizabeth and Joseph. You never told us where we are?” Kepu brushed the dust of off her robes. “Right, right. I must inform you: you two are in Petria!”

• 3 weeks later...

Without further delay, here are the next two chapters, just because I procrastinated. :P

“Petria, huh? What continent is that?†Kepu laughed. “No, silly. I mean Petria!†Joseph remained confused. She continued, “You know, the land of the animals, parallel universe? I can’t believe no one has figured it out yet back on Earth.†Elizabeth stopped her. “Hold up a moment. You said parallel universe? And you expect us to believe you? This is probably South Dakota or something, and you’re just a nutcase.†Kepu ignored the insult. “If you don’t believe me, ask anyone here! Although, you won’t have much luck. There isn’t anyone else here, besides us.†Elizabeth glared at her. “Hey, if I’m correct, you got transported here via a red ball, right?†She said nothing, and only nodded slowly. “I knew it! The same thing happened to me, except, I wasn’t kidnapped; I chose to go. I won’t get too detailed with the story, but I’m so happy here. I can actually perform my magic without destroying buildings or hurting someone.â€

Joseph elbowed Elizabeth and motioned for her to get closer. “We will never get out of here,†he whispered, “if we trust that little nerdy, wizard girl.†Elizabeth replied, “Well, what choice do we have? She‘s the only person around here. I say we should just follow her along, and if she lies about anything or misleads us, we’ll just knock her unconscious and abandon her. But first, ask her if she‘s seen Lydia wander through here.†Joseph nodded, and Kepu butted in.

“Hey, if I may interrupt, who did you say you guys were looking for?†Joseph answered, “We’re looking for a girl about seventeen years old, brown hair, about this high.†He determined the height he thought she would be with his hands. “Her name is Lydia. Have you seen anyone like that?†Kepu shook her head. “Didn’t I already tell you? We’re the only humans here. You’re a little slow, aren’t you?†Kepu chuckled to herself. “However, I can direct you to the ruler of this place. His name is Typh, and I’m sure he’ll be pleased to welcome new inhabitants to his land.â€

What’s with all of the weird names around here, Elizabeth thought. Kepu continued, “It’ll be a couple of hours travel from here, but you can see his domain, right below the mountains. I’d love to transport us all there, but I’m not very familiar with warp spells.†Joseph was disgusted. “And why is that? You’re a magician; you’re supposed to know stuff like that!†Kepu stayed patient with him. “I’m only a novice, but I feel like I’m getting better.†She waved her wand around her and hovered in the air. The spell failed, however, and Kepu fell back to the ground. “Ugh, never mind, let’s go,†she groaned.

The three wanderers traveled through many hills among the plains. Elizabeth spent most of her time examining the vast sea of grass. “I’ve never seen a field like this! It’s…breathtaking, huge!†Joseph kept his eyes straight and paid no heed to the scenery. He spoke up, “So, Kepu, right? Exactly how old are you?†Kepu smiled. “It may not look it, but I’m actually 3,735 years old!†The two siblings stopped dead in their tracks. “I’m just messing with you. I’m only fourteen.†Joseph glared at her. “Listen, we don’t need you fooling around, okay? Just -- get us to this castle so we can get info on the place and leave.†Kepu’s smiled quickly faded away. He went on, “We’re not staying here. We have to get back to Earth and find Lydia.â€

Kepu nodded without saying anything. She resumed walking and looked up at the mountains. Elizabeth glanced up also. “We shouldn’t be too far now,†Kepu mumbled. “The castle is just beyond this hill.†Joseph quickened his pace a little. The tip of the building was peeking over the hill. Kepu forgot about her gloomy mood and ran forward. Joseph ran also, Elizabeth still catching up. It wasn’t long before the group had reached the front gate. Two guards were at the gate. They seemed to be a couple of bears with scales. Kepu approached them with no fear. “Hello, I am Kepu, and I wish to see His Majesty King Typh.†The guards looked at each other, and then stepped aside. The gate opened, and the three travelers went past and inside the castle. All of the guards instantly recognized Kepu and let her pass. Elizabeth cautiously looked around and whispered, “Does everyone here know you?†She shook her head. “Not exactly; they all think that humans are some sort of magical beings. So, as a result, all the creatures here respect me. Of course, King Typh is still the most powerful being in Petria.â€

It wasn’t long until the door to King Typh’s chamber was reached. The final guards at the door were humungous, with long power spears and magic armor. Kepu stepped up. “I would like to request an audience with King Typh. Shatau Yyst is here.†The guard on the left spoke. “You may enter, Shatau Yyst. If there is anything we can do to make your stay better, please ask us.†Kepu nodded, the doors opened, and the group stepped inside.

“Shatau Yyst?†Elizabeth asked. Kepu waved a hand off to the side. “It means ‘Lonely Human’ in their ancient language. But I guess I can’t keep that title anymore!†She chuckled a bit, but then realized that she had approached King Typh. Restoring back to her serious mood, Kepu took a bow, and Elizabeth and Joseph followed. King Typh smiled. “Ah, welcome, Shatau Yyst. I see you bring more of your kind.†King Typh nodded toward the siblings. “Please, forgive me for not providing you with accommodations. The servants will be right on it.†At the sound of his words, five fish-like servants immediately appeared. “Please show our guests the finest we can offer.†They all left as soon as they came, and King Typh turned his attention back to the humans.

“So, Shatau Yyst, what brings you here?†Kepu stood up. “These two humans would like to find their sister, Your Majesty. Lydia is her name.†King Typh thought for a moment. “Young ones, I do not recall such a girl wandering around the place. When did you realize she was missing?†Joseph spoke this time. “She…she disappeared seven years ago.†King Typh shook his head. “No, no, I’m afraid there haven’t been any humans here before the Shatau Yyst--Kepu, here. I do wish you luck in finding your sister.†He paused for a moment. “If you wish to leave this land and go back to your world, then you must use the orb located in the forest beside the mountains. You are free to rest a while before you leave. Tliph here will show you to your room.†A rather large beaver, wearing a black suit and tie, appeared in front of them. “Right this way, young ones.â€

Right. *Gets cup of coffee and starts writing Sky Storm*. I like the storyline in particular.

• 1 month later...

The group followed the fish in and out of many hallways, until finally, they reached their room. Inside was a magnificent, plush bed, with hot food laid across the table that seemed to be a mile wide. Elizabeth found the child in her and started trying out everything in the room. “Mmm, this food is delicious. And the bed is so soft! Three beds! Just enough for all of us.†Joseph maintained his dignity and sat on another bed. “We’ll be resting for only a couple of hours,†he announced. “Then we go to this forest and get back home.†Kepu looked away and nodded to herself. Joseph lied down in a state of exhaustion and soon fell asleep. Elizabeth tried out the buffet, and Kepu sat in the back, waving her wand around like a pendulum.

After exactly two hours, Joseph awoke from his nap and ate a short snack. Elizabeth was already waiting by the door. Joseph followed, but not before searching the room for Kepu. “Where did she go?†Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders. “She went outside to practice her magic, or at least that’s what she told me.†Joseph mumbled to himself, “Or abandoned us.†He went on ahead, despite Elizabeth inquiring what he had said.

Elizabeth was right. When she came outside, Kepu was facing a rock. It seemed like she wanted it to shrink. “Come on, work with me. Rut vey! Small!†A caterpillar crawled out of a hole in the rock. “Ahem, if I may interrupt,†Elizabeth cut in, “shouldn’t we be going? We really, emphasis on really, need to get home.†Kepu blew the caterpillar off of its perch and turned around. “Sure, let’s get a move on. I believe the forest is west of here. It shouldn’t take but half an hour.†Joseph nodded and set off immediately.

The group reached the forest sooner than expected; they arrived ten minutes before they thought they would. Joseph uprooted a few brushes and looked about him. “So, where exactly is this orb supposed to be?†Kepu shook her head. “No, I’m not very familiar with the woody areas around here. You’ll have to find your own way.†Joseph groaned a bit to himself and trudged through the weeds. The girls followed his erected path. “This reminds me of those long walks we used to take in the woods,†Elizabeth dreamed, “when we were children…†Tears formed in Joseph’s eyes, though he concealed them from sight. They quickly went away, and Joseph stopped at a wall of bushes.

He turned around. “Kepu, can’t you poof up a sword or something to cut through this? Obviously, stomping isn’t going to get us across.†Kepu thought for a moment. “Mmm…I’ll try my best.†Kepu held the wand up and closed her eyes. “Tomek te dau!†In Joseph’s right hand materialized a beautiful white sword. Kepu opened her eyes and cheered, “Yes! It worked!†The man seemed satisfied with her for once and cut through the brush. What lied on the other side astonished them all: it was a temple made of stone. Kepu whispered in wonder, “This must be the place that holds the orb!†Joseph climbed the ascending staircase. “We find the orb, figure out how to use it, then get back home and find Lydia.â€

Inside was a numerous amount of pillars touching the ceiling. Hallways were leading in every direction. Joseph thought for a moment. I figure the orb ought to be straight ahead. If I recall those books I read as a child, the item would most likely be at the top of the temple. “It might be this way. Let’s go.†No one objected; they silently followed.

It took much climbing of stairs before the hall came to an end. There was a small crack in the ceiling, shining light in a small spot in the back of the room. The group quickly approached the source of light. There was nothing there. Joseph slammed against a wall. The impact caused the floor underneath him to collapse. The girls gasped and ran over to the hole. “Joseph,†Elizabeth shouted, “are you okay down there?†No response.

“Joseph?â€

Nothing.

“JOSEPH!!!â€

“I’m fine.â€

“What happened?â€

“Come down here.â€

“What?â€

“Get down here, now!â€

Kepu jumped down ahead. Elizabeth hesitated for a moment. “Come on,†Kepu encouraged, “it’s okay down here.†Elizabeth descended down the hole and appeared in a dimly lit room. Joseph and Kepu were standing by a pedestal. He looked up and smiled. “I think we’ve found our orb.â€

Elizabeth drew closer to the orb. “It doesn’t look like it’s…er, on, I guess.†Kepu shook her head. “No, it’s working. The light spell just isn’t working. That’s what makes it glow. Although, I really see no point to it. The mammals here like to see their magic items glow.†She tossed her wand about. “I personally would like to see it shine, just to know how lovely it is.†Kepu pulled a small book out of her robe pocket and flipped through the pages. “Let’s see…ah, here we are. Light spells.†She set the book down in front of her and held her wand up. “Cumteh gawh byn!â€

The orb shone with incredible brilliance, filling the room with an orange light. Kepu smiled. “Wow, that is a sight to behold!†Joseph coughed. “Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, tell us how to work this thing.†Elizabeth spoke this time. “Yes, I think we’ve dawdled long enough.†Kepu thought for a moment. “I assume you’d have to cast a travel spell.†Joseph gave her a sharp look. “Trust me, Jo, I would have done it sooner, but my wand isn‘t powerful enough. Only a power source as big as this orb could do the trick. Now, let’s see here…†Kepu flipped through her book. “Ah, I think this is --â€

An eerie silence was lofting around in the room. Joseph showed question in his eyes, but Kepu held her hand up, motioning for him to stay quiet. “Do you feel that,†she whispered. “The rumbles?†The group remained motionless, trying to detect even the softest of sounds nearby. The rumbling became more fierce as time passed, and the ceiling began to cave in. Elizabeth looked frantically for the nearest exit. “What’s going on, Kepu? What did you do?!†Kepu showed much worry on her face. “I didn’t do anything. There must be something up there!â€

Joseph raised his sword up. “You imbecile,†Elizabeth countered, “you’ve haven’t been trained in years!†The man kept his position. “I’ll cope with it.†The entire ceiling was on the floor now, and out of the gap appeared an ogre-like giant. Joseph ran toward it, but another one burst through the wall. Elizabeth screamed, for she recognized them instantly. “Tell me where Lydia is! What did you do with her?!†She picked up the nearest stone and chunked it at one of the ogre’s forehead. It staggered back a little, losing an item from its pocket. Elizabeth rushed over and picked up what seemed to be a white stick.

Joseph kept himself busy with the other ogre, slashing at its leg and dodging its kicks. Kepu was too dazed to do anything, let alone move. Something didn’t make sense to her, but she couldn’t figure out what. She was brought back to her sense when she noticed the white stick Elizabeth was holding. “Careful! That’s a blasting staff! If you hit that beast in the wrong spot, it’ll deflect the blow and hit you instead!

The ogre facing the two ladies was about to squash them. Kepu froze the creature, while Elizabeth flicked the staff at the ogre’s head. It finally collapsed, leaving Joseph stabbing at the last one. The giant knocked Joseph out of the way and walked toward the orb. Kepu threw a rock at it. “Joseph! Don’t let him crush the orb!†Hearing this, the man took a clear shot at the ogre’s leg. He threw the sword like a dart, which pierced right threw its flesh. The ogre fell to its knees, look at the orb, and smiled. Upon drawing its last breath, the creature threw down its fist and shattered the orb into millions of pieces.

Joseph cursed loudly, and Elizabeth fell down and cried.

Hehe, you think that's good, wait'll you see this surprising twist. ;)

Kepu dashed toward the fragments scattered on the floor. “Oh no…no!†She scooped up the tiny shards in her hands and stared at them. “The orb…oh, this is not good at all. Without it….the plants will start to wither…along with the animals, and…†Kepu threw the shards down in frustration. “We have to get back to the castle, and quickly!â€

Joseph burst out loud, “Why? What good will that do us? How else can we get home? Do you’ve any other bright ideas to throw at us? Come on then, spit it out!†Kepu looked away from Joseph and climbed over the pile of rubble that came from the wall. “Please, just bear with me. King Typh will know what to do. We have no other choice.†Elizabeth lessened her sobs and followed Kepu out of the temple. Joseph stayed behind for a while, then finally left the room.

Meanwhile, back at the castle…

The sky was beginning to darken. King Typh was holding his head as if he had a headache. “Oh, the rueful day has come. I never thought it was more than a fairy tale. Alas…†The door on the other side of the throne room dissolved at that moment, and out stepped a tall, dark figure. It drew closer to the king, a sword in hand. King Typh jolted out of his seat and faced the figure. “How dare you intrude my manor in such a way!†The creature merely laughed. “My dear lion, you will soon learn to grow more…respect for me.â€

The trio reached the front gate of the castle. Kepu quickly opened the gate and the door. The guards inside were crouched over and moaning. “They are already starting to pass,†Kepu said worryingly. “It may not be long before even His Majesty’s power starts to fade.†They continued running throughout the halls and corridors. When Kepu finally reached the throne room, she skid to a halt and fell down. Elizabeth helped Kepu up, but Joseph stared at what was sitting on the throne. Kepu looked up as well.

“King Typh?†The creature at the throne remained silent. “Who are you? Where is King Typh? I demand an answer!†Kepu charged toward the figure, who then held up its hand. The girl was held in place, unable to move. The figure finally spoke, “Be still, Shatau Yyst. There is no need for reckless behavior in here. Not at this time, no. However…†It stood up. “If you are so interested in the facts, then no one better than I can give them to you. I am Lord Pugh, King of Darkness, and most powerful being in all of Petria.†Pugh sat back down. “Pity, though. I expected more of a fight from your silly little Typh. But we can’t all be winners, now can we, little girl?†Kepu, still restrained, showed much hatred in her eyes.

Pugh looked at Joseph and Elizabeth in the back. “And who have we here? A couple of peasants? One with a decorative stick and the other a small knife? Tsk tsk. You truly shame me, children. It would degrade me to kill you myself, so I’ll leave that job to a minion. Murt!†A large, scaly creature in black armor materialized in front of Kepu.

“Dispose of them.â€

“Yes, your Highness.â€

Pugh disappeared in a puff of black smoke, and Kepu could move freely again. Murt drew out an axe and took a fighting stance. Kepu backed up a little, but Elizabeth and Joseph were already standing beside her, willing to take down this opponent. Murt raised his axe and charged toward Elizabeth. Joseph quickly shoved Elizabeth out of the way and blocked the axe attack with his sword. The blow from Murt was powerful, however, and Joseph fell down after impact. Kepu took her chance and shot some fire from her wand. The fire redirected itself to the back of Murt, where the strings burned away. Murt realized that his suit wouldn’t hold for long, and in anger, lept toward Kepu and kicked her toward the wall. Kepu was knocked unconscious.

Elizabeth saw this opportunity to knock the armor off. She pulled out her blasting staff and aimed for the chest. There was a bright flash of red powder coming from the armor, slowly dissolving it. Murt ripped the armor off and tossed the axe aside. He pulled out two blades and swung them around. Joseph focused on the blade movements and blocked the swings. Elizabeth continued to blast at the chest. Murt finally grew tired of being shot and knocked the staff out of the way.

While Murt was distracted, Joseph took a stab at his back. Murt shouted out with pain and slashed at Joseph’s leg. Joseph was seething with pain and blood running down his leg. Murt walked up to him, clearly convinced that Joseph could go no further. He raised one of his blades in an attempt to cut Joseph’s head off. Joseph was too quick, and thrust his sword into the monster’s chest.

Murt stopped his attack and fell to his knees. Gasping for air, he managed to whisper, “You are…a mere…fool. My king….will…triumph…†His face fell to the ground, and Joseph pulled his sword out. Kepu woke up at that time. “Uhn, what just happened?†She wandered over to Murt’s body, which then began to glow.

Joseph gave her a sharp look. “What are you doing?†Kepu shrugged her shoulders. “I’m not doing it. It’s some sort of…reaction going on in this body.†Elizabeth drew closer as well. The scales were falling off, one by one. The body began to shrink, until it resembled a small, thin figure with red clothes on. The transformation stopped, and the figure awoke. It stared into Elizabeth’s eyes.

“Elizabeth?â€

“Lydia?â€

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, here's a quick update:

The next chapter HAS been written, but its still in it's crappy, unproofread stage. Be on the lookout during the next few days for this special chapter. :D

Sorry for the delay.

• 3 weeks later...