I feel so horrid!

So a few weeks ago, someone came and spent simply scads of NP in my shop...we're talking about 845K-worth. I had some good items--stamps, petpets, paintbrushes, etc.--so I wasn't really surprised about the amount, necessarily... :eh::worried: Just to be on the safe side, however, because it was a ginormous amount of loot from/for one Neouser, I Neo-mailed her to say thanks for the shopping spree/feel the waters, because the whole thing felt fishy to me... :worried:

She mailed me back, completely freaked, saying that her entire bank account had been hacked, all her NPs now gone. (!!) :ohno:

I feel like a co-conspirator to something bad, but I didn't do anything! I contacted Neopets and let them know that she'd reported being hacked to me and was upset, and I urged her to do the same.

All things considered, I don't know if I should've done something different in this situation; thinking over it now, I still feel like I did the right thing.

Why, then, do I feel so bad? Because I know how long it takes to come up with millions of NP? Because I've had my account for 8 years and I'd be crushed if someone hacked or phished it? I don't know, but I feel so bad for this poor girl. :crying:

From a Neopets-level, what do I do to protect myself? Obviously, anything I could offer to her would seem like trite platitudes, because, "I'm sorry you got hacked" just isn't going to cut it.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

How do you know thats shes telling you the truth?

It could might as well be a new scam/beg - Ohhh i lost all my np *cryyyyyyyy*

And then a blue eyed person will give her items, because they feel sorry for her...

And by the way - 50k a day is more than 1mill a month. And thats not included SM, RS or sniping...

Ghee i just reread what i've written. It may seem a bit harsh for some, but i guess, thats just how life has formed me..

You did everything right and you shouldn't do anymore until you have been contacted by TNT regarding the matter. They should be able to make a decision on the matter and until then both of you should keep the items safe and neopoints safe incase they want to transfer them back.

I think I would feel the same in your situation, but contacting TNT and reporting what had happened was the best thing you couldve done, now you just have to wait ....

How do you know thats shes telling you the truth?

It could might as well be a new scam/beg - Ohhh i lost all my np *cryyyyyyyy*

And then a blue eyed person will give her items, because they feel sorry for her...

And by the way - 50k a day is more than 1mill a month. And thats not included SM, RS or sniping...

Ghee i just reread what i've written. It may seem a bit harsh for some, but i guess, thats just how life has formed me..

Quite right. Thankfully, I haven't given her items, and all I've done is felt bad. Otherwise, nah, not harsh. Realistic, indubitably...

TNT is really the only party that can handle this safely - not to mention that they have the authority to freeze the offender if they catch him/her. :yes: On the other hand, they are rather trigger-happy, so it would be best not to start doing anything until they get round to investigating your case.

You have acted SUPER nice, and now all you can do is wait for TNT to sort it out. Just don't spend the NP and you'll be fine, you haven't done anything wrong but just the opposit =)

And yes, there's always the chance the scam is a scam in itself. No one can ever know. We just have to believe in the best in people and hope it'll be alright =)