The Neopets Scam...

Barundar

I am obviously very angry about this.... :grrr:

Recently my account and my fiance's account were frozen. It says its because I sold NP. I logged in and needed some items for my gallery and some food. I looked at my fiances store because she had a jelly drake head I wanted for my medieval themed gallery. (we live together...) so she comes in the room and tells me she needed to remove those items from her store because she still needed them and didnt have the chance to remove them from the store yet. So I sent the items back. There were like 3 of them valued at around 4,500NP. Not nearly enough for a 'sale'. She didnt even get a chance to log in after work and her account was frozen. Not to mention I get no response from NP on this even though we both sent in a complaint on this.

We both have spent over 100 dollars on a virtual picture of some clothes (NC Mall). So we get frozen for a misunderstanding...but we can make up a new account and waste more money according to Neo....Well this looks like a scam. Buy nothing for money, get suspended for nothing, do it again? Yeah thats not really whats going on, but I can interpret it that way just like they did on my account.

The bottom line for Neopets...

YOU HAVE LOST CONTROL OF YOUR PRICING IN THE GAME!!! The estimated value of items is USELESS. You cannot predict value on demand. People will like different things for different reasons. WE determine the value of things now. Therefore items have become so damn expensive that some people have to cheat or spend a lifetime saving up for one item. I spent 8 hrs a day or more playing to get my items and they are frozen. Not to mention my fiance did absoultely nothing wrong...

So neopets spends their time making judgements on peoples accounts. The gods of the game. Determining weather or not you deserve to play their game...HEY...take a web search for 'buy neopoints'. You will find PAGES of sites selling NP. I see illegal lots all the time. Items in stores for 100,000NP that arent even worth that. Go after the REAL problem. Hell I even saw a full page banner on Marapets to get a cheat program for Neopets. Its a program that you can set to do all your daily stuff while you are away from your PC. But I guess they dont care about the people getting RICH off them. Only the people that care about the game and make mistakes...

Lets see how long this message stays up...I figure it will be deleted because I told the truth...

This isn't really a site that would delete your post because you're upset at TNT (the neopets team). There are quite a few people (some of the staffers included) that have had their accounts frozen unfairly as well. I agree that TNT is very trigger happy and should put more effort into investigating what's going on before freezing. Unfortunately, they don't. Whether it's a matter of them being too understaffed and so they adhere to the "freeze first, take care of it later if we have time" method, or if it's because they just don't care (which is a sad thought, but unfortunately very likely as well) only TNT knows. I have never had an account frozen, though it is frustrating at how careful I always have to be in order to ensure that, especially as I know I never do anything wrong. There are people on here that were able to get their frozen accounts back, though it did take time. Since you sent in your complaint, all you can do is hope that TNT is willing to put forth the time and effort to do the right thing by you. And if they don't, you most definitely have every right to be extremely upset and angry at them, and feel free to bash them. That's what business and capitalism is about (and neopets is definitely a profitable and capitalistic business.) If they don't keep their customers happy, their (ex)customers talk poorly about them and their business could suffer in return. However, I'll still keep my fingers crossed for you that you and your fiancee do get your accounts back. And if you do decide to return to neopets, whether with a new account (or your returned old account) keep this forum in mind. It's a good place to vent and get some encouraging support back in return (and there is definitely times everyone needs to vent at TNT).

Also, check out this thread. Lots of people posted on there about their accounts being frozen and if they got them back or not. Perhaps if you ask one of the people who did get their account back, they would be willing to give you any suggestions they might have.

I will be watching this forum...so I thank you all for allowing the venting. The bottom line for me? I am very upset about this and the real cash involved. But I have 3 other pet games and many MMOs to play. I like the site and the games but I do have other things to do...

My fiance however loves Neopets. It is the ONLY thing she has to play after work. I cant even get her to try another game. She misses her pets and her Usukis. To her its like taking away her real life cat and her wallet. And her dad is a lawyer...I feel her wrath every night against them for doing this. She is who I really care about. I make a mistake in their eyes and she suffers.

Well back to city of heroes, Marapets, and WoW. I can never make another account on Neopets if this is how they treat people. I spent too much time building my cha to come home and see my Fiance sad and hurt. Thanks alot Neopets...

well, now that the pound is back up and that there are transfers available, if she doesn't get her old account back and if she decides to sign up for a new one, perhaps she can find someone who is adopting out a painted usul (thought maybe that was her pet of choice if she was into usukis...). I think one was even mentioned on this forum somewhere. That way she can kinda get a helping hand towards getting her account back to where it was. Though I know it would be a tough decision about whether she really wants to give neopets another try. I don't use nc, mainly cause I'm always broke, but if I did, it would definitely add to my anger if I was frozen. Hopefully your history of nc usage will help TNT decide to reactivate your accounts. I don't know if TNT takes nc into consideration, but they really should as its real money that people have invested into their accounts. once again, good luck. And welcome to the TDNforums, even if it's after a bad neopet experience.

We all know TNT is trigger happy, they have been for awhile, unfortunately. We have staff members here on TDN that have been waiting to get there accounts back for months and they just have to keep waiting or keep trying to contact TNT. Unfortunately most of us have realised that TNT don't seem to care about their ex customers and it takes a VERY long time to hear anything back from them. Most of us also agree that they are probably understaffed, but they are a business and they do run the website for free, so I guess all you can do is keep your fingers crossed!!

Ouch... that just sucks. :sad01_anim: This is just another sad example illustrating the fact that TNT no longer handles their freezing system properly (whether it's because they can't or just don't want to I'd really like to know). The best thing to do in this case would be to send TNT a message and wait (which I see you've already done) - they have an automated response bot that replies and tells you that they're looking into the matter, but the actual reply often takes quite a while or in some cases just never comes. I wish you best of luck in getting this sorted out. If you decide to make a new account and would like some help restarting, I have a decent amount of NP sitting in the bank doing nothing which I'd be happy to donate (if TNT doesn't freeze me in the process that is). :)

Random somewhat off-topic statement: Yay! I coined the usage of the term 'trigger-happy' to describe TNT and now other people are using it! :P

Off topic I know... but do you just have a whole bunch of neopoints you dont want sitting around, since you seem to offer them to everyone!! lols..

I like being helpful for some reason. :yes: But I do have a use for neopoints, it just doesn't take them out of my bank account very fast. I guess that means I couldn't be considered a 'serious' Neopets player, but I am still really annoyed at TNT's lack of restraint with their giant freeze guns.

I'm sorry to hear that you both lost your accounts. Sadly it happens all too often to people who don't deserve it. I myself have had to start again once. That's the reason I won't pay for NC. Losing Neopoints is nothing compared to losing actual money. I hope you can resolve the situation, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

I thank many of you for letting me know that I can write without fear of my topic being removed (within reason of course :)).

I recieved my first response and replied to it. I will share and post below. When I get their response I will most likely flip out on them and post it here. Provided it is a PG rating!

Them to me:

Your account has been frozen for attempting to, or actually buying or selling neopoints.

As it clearly states in the first lines of the Terms and Conditions (http://www.neopets.com/terms.phtml):

"The accounts, activities, items, neopoints, characters, locations, faeries, games and pets are for you to play with while on the site. Except as permitted by the functionality of this site, you can't sell them (for money or Neopoints), give them to anyone, trade them for anything (including Neopoints), or pretend you made them."

By purchasing neopoints, people wind up supporting scammers (who are responsible for the vast majority of attempted sales). The neopoints purchased then wind up being from any number of children's stolen accounts.

This is why we do not return any accounts frozen for purchasing or selling neopoints

THAT is an automated response because I got the same one twice. I assume they have a pre-patterned response in the database. So I responded with one plea. And then I will get hot:

I explained what happened. I sent items back to my fiance that I

purchased from her store because she said she still wanted them. This is

why I was frozen? That is not a purchase of NP. And what about the profile

tefficat? How is it that she is frozen. All I can figure is because I sent

the items back. There were like three valued at 4,500NP. Thats not a sale.

It was a mistake. I have been a supporter helping new players and having

fun. I have made purchases from the NC mall also. I think you are being

hasty here. It is a game. If you bothered to do a web search for 'buy

neopoints' you would see pages of people getting rich off your site. But I

am frozen for a mistake. Honestly, my fiance is devistated. She didnt even

wallet away. Go after the real problem. The values of items in the game

are useless because the players demands for the items has changed the values

so much people are forced to play forever for one item or cheat. We just

wanted to have fun here. Not get rich off your site. Even Marapets has a

banner for a program to use on Neopets that will let someone do the daily

routines without being on line.

Please reconsider the facts here. Even if you want to take it out on me

fine. But please restore my fiance's account (tefficat). She is innocent.

I made the mistake by returning the items to her. She doesnt deserve this.

We both support this site.

Thank You

Rich

Well that was quite a nice response if I may say so myself. I got a warning from neopets once for something I didn't do and I sent them quite and angry response lols.. and that was only a warning, wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if I got banned!!!

I hope your fiance atleast gets her account back, if not both of you *fingers crossed*

TNT has been known to freeze innocent people's accounts. After all, they don't know what quite happened, and if they found out something that might be just a little bit suspicious, they would freeze your account. Even if it was accidental. I think it's really unfair. I'm sorry to hear that you and your fiance's accounts are frozen.

Guest Levy
TNT has been known to freeze innocent people's accounts. After all, they don't know what quite happened, and if they found out something that might be just a little bit suspicious, they would freeze your account. Even if it was accidental. I think it's really unfair. I'm sorry to hear that you and your fiance's accounts are frozen.

Ohh, that reminded me of something I saw... Lemme quote a bit of it.

"In addition, they freeze for even the most ridiculous reasons, i.e. existing." - *Source censored by Levy*

A lot of players are always sore about losing their accounts to a misunderstanding, poor evidence, and existing. Usually you can send them a message about it and the problem will be fixed within 6 to 8 weeks, but just like a package it usually takes longer. Sorry for your loss.

I really do wonder about the wisdom of TNT using automated bots to give an initial e-mail response. It tends to make things less user-friendly...

I hope they do really look into your problem (and take less than year to do so). You wrote an excellent response by the way - the art of calm, clear requests and explanations is really under-appreciated in today's world. :(

Sky Shadow Wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________

You wrote an excellent response by the way - the art of calm, clear requests and explanations is really under-appreciated in today's world. :(

________________________________________________________________________________

As is the art of noticing said skill ;)

Heh, from one expert to another. ;)

I just remembered that last year, an official TDN account used for collecting NP donations was frozen by TNT... we were lucky enough to get it back, but minus all the donations. :sad01_anim:

b) To Sky Shadow: That figures! LoL

I did want to add my thanks to all for letting me get this...off my chest... as it was. I am sure the administraors would like to keep this a PRO-Neopets forum even though we all know no system is perfect. The truth is the Neopets game engine is one of the best around. Many sites that emulate this style do not have the ease of control or user friendly interface that NP has designed. AND they have more games on average than other sites.

The only problem I ever had with the game was the pricing. I felt that the DEVs created the EST value based on things at the beginning of the programs life. It is necessary to give an economic base for a game to create good trade and value on items. But as I mentioned, you can't predict demand on something when you create a world like this. People will be drawn to things for different reasons and the value changes daily. Some items are so expensive that they are unattainable. Especially considering most games are capped at 1,000NP. What they could do is track the average current price of an item based on what people are selling at and change EST value to AVG value. But with so many people confused your prices wouldn't be perfect. It would be in the ball park however. Most new players sell based on the EST prices and those junk items from the tree have nice EST values. This could also cause a more experienced player to report a store as it may look like a sale for NPs. Only flaw? The top 100 stores' pricing is WAY above average because of the faerie quests. You cannot use the shopwiz and must hunt in their stores. They control the pricing in the game when you get a quest.

For there to be a problem with people buying and selling NP, there must be a reason. Logically we must look to the economics in the game. Items that are desireable cost alot of NP / games capped at 1,000NP = No item. If you really want it there are 3 options: trade, save, cheat. To eliminate the 'cheat', you increase the caps on the games or fix the economics in general. Just a thought....

I did suggest to the DEVs that they add a 'wishlist' search to the trading post. This way someone who has an extra ORN codestone, for example, could search that in wishlist and find a lot someone is offering for that item. I believe that would ease trade in the world....but I wonder if they would be able to process that many more transactions!

All in all it's a great site for all with only a few bugs in the programming. But BE CAREFUL....the snipers are watching!

PS: Someone please do a scratchcard in my honor! I miss those things... :crying:

I did want to add my thanks to all for letting me get this...off my chest... as it was. I am sure the administraors would like to keep this a PRO-Neopets forum even though we all know no system is perfect. The truth is the Neopets game engine is one of the best around. Many sites that emulate this style do not have the ease of control or user friendly interface that NP has designed. AND they have more games on average than other sites.

PS: Someone please do a scratchcard in my honor! I miss those things... :crying:

Whether your posts are pro or anti neopets, I think this forum mainly just strives to be Pro-fun and supportive! Which is why it's the only neopets forum I've ever really joined or been active on :laughingsmiley: And it's very true, neopets is the best site around. I've tried marapets, etc. and though it may be easier to get points, items, whatever, on those sites, they still aren't as much fun. Oh, and as soon as the scratchcards open back up again, I'll definitely scratch one for you! ;)

Also, has your fiance decided to open up another account while you two wait to hear back from TNT?

Well your suggestion for the average item values would certainly be implementable, but would place a huge load on the Neopets servers, so for now we're stuck with using the shop wizard and trading post to find item values.

By the way, this forum has a faerie quest help thread where you can ask other people to search for certain items for you. :yes: