Music on Lookup/Petpage

Brynda

I've heard two thing on this, so I'll ask here. Is it ok to put music on your lookup, petpage, shop, etc. Or will this get you frozen? I heard that it's absolutely against the rules, and I've heard that so long as the songs are clean it's ok, so I'm hoping to get a for sure answer here. Thanks a ton!

I am pretty sure you are allowed to, aslong as the songs are clean etc. Personally I think it is the most annoying thing, I hate going onto userlook ups and shops etc with sound on them :grrr: sorry personal opinion!

I'm not sure whether or not it's allowed, but I do know that the majority of people will find it extremely annoying, so I'd recommend that you don't do it.

Im pretty sure its against the rules because you dont have copyright over the music and therefor you'll be breaking an IRL rule.

So im sure its a no go, because TnT could be facing a law suit for allowing users of neopets to use copyrighted music on their site.

Well I don't think every song you could conceivably put on a page is copyrighted (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star :P ).

If you do end up putting music on a petpage or lookup, then it would be best to place it as a link which visitors can click on to start the music if they want it (instead of auto-starting and irritating everybody within earshot :P ).

Well, I can't really contribute to the discussion about whether TNT allows it or why/why not (copyright issues) but I do agree that it is quite annoying. I have loaded up lots of shops that have music, so I know people do it... but unless that shop has the item for MUCH cheaper than everyone else, the music is usually enough to turn me from a potential buyer into someone that closes the window super fast! If you really want to put music on your shop page, do as AA suggests and put it as an optional link!

All right, I've found a conclusive answer from this week's editorial:

I was just wondering... why does the music not work on the petpages and other things anymore? In its place it says "invalid code." I thought I had not entered my music code correctly but I re-entered it about 10 times and it just wouldn't work. If you deleted them because of bad lyrics or something along those lines then why not just allow midi music because it has no words. This question is really troubling me. I'd appreciate it very much to find out the real answer, thanks! ~x_tammeh

In addition to people posting sound files containing inappropriate things, they were also being used maliciously. We've had to take them down for the time being, but we're trying our best to see if we can allow it again.

So music was allowed, as long as it was appropriate, but there were some issues that caused it to be banned. :yes: