1. 1. Which is better?

• Neopets
    • Marapets
    • TDN!!!!!
  2. 2. Was this helpful in any way?

• Yes
    • No
    • TDN!!!!!

Marapets is a complete RIP-OFF of Neopets. They have Marapoints, pets that are like NeoPets but are cheesyer and pretty much everything is like Neopets. But the question is, is Marapets better?

Pro's (good things) Neopets

250+ Games

Forum with lots of helpful people

Websites Branching Off of Neopets

Huge World to Explore

Fun Plots to participate in

Lots of different pets to choose from

Cool Pre-Made characters for you to enjoy

Battledome where you can fight different people

Customizable Pets

Free with a feature to upgrade

Shops and Galleries

Con's (bad things) Neopets

An annoying new layout

If you don't participate in a plot, you feel left out

Sometimes it can be hard to get Neopoints

Hard Battledome characters

Sometimes unfair admins

It's getting more commercialized

Annoying Ad's

Pro's (good things) Marapets

Dress-able Avatars

16 Walkaround Worlds

Lot's of Members

Weird and Interesting looking animals for you to own

Clubs where you can meet new people

Child-Safe Forum

FREE Prizes (if you can find them)

Not as many ad's

Shops and Galleries

Con's (bad things) Marapets

COMPLETE RIP-OFF

Not as many games

Not as many members

Doesn't have any help websites

Doesn't have a wikipedia page! Ha!

Ugly Pets

Ugly Avatars

Un-original pets

Again, COMPLETE RIP-OFF

So with all the Con's and Pro's, now it's up to you. Which is better, Marapets or Neopets?

Go to their websites!

Neopets

Marapets

Con's (bad things) Neopets

1.An annoying new layout

2. If you don't participate in a plot, you feel left out

3. Sometimes it can be hard to get Neopoints

4. Hard Battledome characters

5. Sometimes unfair admins

6. It's getting more commercialized

7. Annoying Ad's

Comments to the above.

1. I actually like the new layout. It makes it much easier to RS when the game loads in the same window.

2. Well if one chose not to take part in an event, i dont see why they should feel their need to complain. Every decision in life has its consequences. And when one choses not to be a part of it so be it. But just dont come running to mommy when missing out of all the fun.

3. Like everything else in life, nothing gets served on a silver plate. One must work before enjoying.

4. The same as #3.

5. I can agree on that, but then again it can be hard for an admin to see whats truth and whats not. Dont judge them, they're doing the best they can. And with all those scammers roaming, its simple just natural that some get caught in the line of fire. I feel sorry for all those who got iced without having done anything wrong. But then again - the admin is people like all of us, and i highly doubt that any of us can go through life with out making any mistakes.

6+7. I would rather have more ads than pay X a month. Hosting a site aint free. Nothing in the world is free. If TnT removed all ad's, then where should the money then come from? The users? Nah i prefer it this way.

Conclusion - i can only agree partly on # 5. The rest i strongly disagree with.

And concerning marapets - I've been there once in 2 minutes. Then i closed the window and went straight to neopets. Marapets is probably one of the most newbie site i have ever seen. Bad games, bad graphic, ugly pets.

TDN all the way!!!! Wahoo!!! :jerrypteri: (except we have to change jerry to TDN)

You click on the smiley face when you are posting a reply, brings up a pop up window with all the different emoticons :)

The smiley face? It is in there too. All the emoticons are in the list.

Yes we are, but my vote still stands... *chants* TDN, TDN, TDN!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They are in theory, but they're also extremely messy and basically a nightmare for anybody who knows proper grammar. :yes:

But as for my vote: TDN pwns them both! :D :D :jerrypteri:

@Marianne: Jerry is the TDN mascot, so there's no real need to change the sign. :P

I joined marapets just for this topic!

Its difficult to understand. The graphics are terrible. I feel like an 8 year old made everything.

Even though neopets has changed a lot over the years...I really think it is better.

@The two people who voted for Marapets: Don't be afraid to post your opinions on this thread. :) TDN Forums is well moderated and nobody here is allowed to insult or otherwise offend other members. Besides, I want to know more about the good points of Marapets. :P

• 1 month later...

I saw Marapets...I prefer Neopets. I don't know why they'd make a site that's sooo much like Neopets in the first place though. BUT if they cleaned it up a bit maybe it would be more popular. Who knows maybe Neopets own Marapets o_O

It would be illogical for Viacom to create a site that draws customers (and thus profit) away from a site that's already well established and earning them good revenue. And additionally, I'm pretty sure we'd know if Marapets had been acquired by Viacom. XD

Neopets is heading downhill, but I'd say it's still ahead of Marapets by a considerable margin. :yes:

I don't understand why all they think of doing is to add new items, but not to spice up graphics, or something else that would get users excited or maybe even addicted. If neopets is even actually better than marapets, I don't even want to know what marapets is like... :grrr:

Neopets, for most of the pros, although I do disagree with a lot of the cons. Zafia listed some of the points, but I feel like going more in-depth because... I have a tendency for doing that.

An annoying new layout

Neopet's new layout is the one thing about Neopets I think I would defend to the death. The fact is, the old layout just wasn't good anymore. When Neopets started and smaller screen resolutions were common, before web accessibility became a big deal, and before HTML upgraded into XHTML and the like it was, at most, an alright layout . But coding, like everything else on the internet (and world of technology, for that matter), is not static. It changes, and Neopets layout needed to, as well. They new layout is more accessible to prospective players, more professional, and overall a better layout. I can safely safe that had Neopets not changed their layout I wouldn't be playing, because the sheer amount of design-related problems would have annoyed me to no end.

Plus, if a web designer submitted Neopets old layout to their boss or client now-a-days, they would get laughed at, and then probably fired/taken off the job. Maybe not in 2000, but certainly now.

Now, I'm not saying their new layout is perfect, but it is better than their old one.

If you don't participate in a plot, you feel left out

Wouldn't that be your own fault for choosing not to participate? I don't see how this can be a con held against the whole of Neopets.

Sometimes it can be hard to get Neopoints

There is a variety of ways to get Neopoints, for a variety of players. While I do admit sometimes game ratios are obnoxiously low, TNT themselves has stated that upping the 1,000NP limit would be murder to the economy, and the economy already is suffering. However, for the casual player, it is not that hard to play a half-hour's worth of games and gain a few thousand Neopoints. Beyond that, restocking, and the stock market are choices. If making Neopoints were any easier it wouldn't help anything--it would just shoot up inflation faster than it already is.

Hard Battledome characters

And easy Battledome challengers. Neopets has been an active site for nearly ten years, and with the Lab Map it's not that uncommon to see high-level pets. If they didn't have hard BD challengers, then people would be complaining about how it's too easy. I will admit they need more of a variety of one-player challengers (especially for those of us that don't play two-player. Like me), but I wouldn't say that the challengers are too hard or too easy.

Sometimes unfair admins

Neopets is a large website, people make mistakes, and I don't think there is nearly as many mistaken freezings as people claim. No one ever wants to admit to being wrong, which is probably why there are so many people claiming TNT wrongly froze them.

That being said, I do think it's ridiculous how uber-careful you have to be not to get frozen or warned.

It's getting more commercialized and Annoying Ad's

Neopets is a game, but it's also a business. They have servers to upkeep, bandwidth to pay for (and I don't even want to think of how much bandwidth costs for them), and a slew of employees (from web designers, to games developers, to artists, to marketing executives, to moderators) who I highly doubt work for anything near minimum wage. People complain about the NC Mall and customization, but that probably took away from another slew of ads they would have otherwise had to have added to keep Neopets up, so it's not like they aren't trying to think of how this effects the players.

Also, I don't care how silly people think they are, the offline products are fun. -loves the plushies, and has a boyfriend who plays the TCG-

Plus, Marapets is just fugly, and their layout is ridiculously cluttered. I also like cute things. Neopets gives me cute.

Well if they made both sites then they'd be getting two profits. I've never thought of neopets going down hill I would think it was going up hill. LOL next there will be neopet tv shows, movies, maybe even a network, and who knows maybe they'll make another website like a mixture of neopets and facebook (or myspace which ever you prefer) you know for the older generation.....or it could all just die LOL eh

Oh and Dae Lærke I agree with all your points especially about the new layout and the ads some people never seem to like change and some people don't seem to understand that we all need to eat LOL

TDN rocks them all!! :jerrypteri: Insanity reigns supreme! Muahahaha...

Back on topic. I really prefer Neopets. I've seen Marapets before, when I was quite new to TDN, and i didn't get that it was a rip-off at the time. I thought that virtual pet sites were really common, and they were all like that... :P

Whatever marapets is like, I think I'd like to stick with neopets, even if it might get a little broing, have annoying layouts, wastes your money, or makes you feel left out. I think I just maybe have a goal in mind. I guess that's a personal opinion. :eh: