Human Cloning

antiaircraft

Scientists at a California company reported yesterday that they had created the first mature cloned human embryos from single skin cells taken from adults, a significant advance toward the goal of growing personalized stem cells for patients suffering from various diseases.
Full article here.

With this advance, we are faced with the fact that human cloning isn't a far-fetched notion of science fiction, but a very real possibility that could be achieved by some institution or other within the next decade or so. However, there are some people who are opposed to this notion for one reason or other, and therefore a worldwide debate rages (or will rage shortly) on whether it would be right to create a human clone.

Go ahead and debate. :)

Note: The article I referenced refers to the recent replication of human embryos for the purpose of creating stem cells. I linked to this article because the fact that they were able to clone human embryos shows that science is extremely close to achieving human cloning. This topic, however, is for discussion of human cloning, not the production of stem cells.

I always thought human cloning was illegal in the US, amoung many other places including many European nations.

Though I always sorta hoped this would change.

Here's the wikipedia article on Human Cloning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Cloning

I thought I saw an article detailing certain countries that outlawed it... Nope, can't find it.

At this rate the scientist will beat me. :( I always wanted to crate a clone of myself in order to study how the environment effects a person's development more then their Genetic structure...

I can see human cloning as a great help to science (towards our understanding of genetics and variation especially) and with a huge array of other possible applications as well. Simply put, human cloning would be a huge leap forward for science.

I support cloning, and even if anybody else doesn't... It will happen. In the 16th century, a sun-centered solar-system was viewed as heresy. It was wrong to believe that the sun was in the middle...

Right now you might believe that cloning is wrong but in 50 or so years it may be so common that our desendants will laugh at us.

And for you religious folks out there consider this. God said thou shalt not kill... God never said thou shalt not create.

Honestly, they've been doing something like this for quite some time. I had read something before about how they'd take the DNA of a loved one and put it into an embryo so that they could bring back their loved one after they'd passed away. *rolls eyes* I don't support this reason for cloning, but I do support cloning to further science.

On a different note, they just passed a bill/law that it's legal to eat cloned animals. XD

Erm... I have no idea. :P

But to my knowledge a proper human clone has never been successfully created before. If a human clone was created in my lifetime, I'd feel lucky to be alive at the time of such a great scientific achievement.

I'm sure there's some country or other that doesn't ban it... I just hope nobody else tries to fake their way to fame. <_< (You know what I'm talking about right?)

I doubt that would happen. If someone claims they succeeded then the scientific community would require a DNA test between the original and the clone to confirm it otherwise it wouldn't be reguarded as a clone.

Anyway, cloning has became a tool to bring back endangered species and even The possibility to revive extinct species.

When I come back Sunday night I'll find sources to what I mean. CYA!

I understand what you mean. :yes: I've seen a few documentaries and read up on that concept.

However, when I talked about somebody faking their way to fame, I was talking about that Korean guy who got found out. There was a huge international scandal about it. Just look at any of the articles that turn up with this search.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no clue that human cloning was even possible until about a week ago when a friend told me. :worried: Since when has this been possible....

Since humans existed. :P We just didn't know about it back then.

But they figured out it was possible about January 18th.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a feeling that the scientists are getting even closer. I just read an article a few days ago that they have finally been able to repliacte a beating heart. I dunno if they could do this before, but from what the article said, it sounded like the scientists were pretty esctatic.

There's a good reason for them to be ecstatic - if scientists could replicate a beating heart, that means they could carry out heart transplants and such by growing a heart identical to the original, thus massively reducing the chance of rejection. :yes:

I don't see anything wrong with human cloning, it's good for the sake of humanity. Though I wonder if we actually deserve it....Hmm. Anyway. I have some questions.

Would clones have bellybuttons? (I hear the answer is no, but I wonder..)

If clones don't have bellybuttons, are they clones? (Shouldn't clones be asthetically equal to the original? Or is this a common misconception?)

How long before I get to meet Bobba Fett? (<3)

Well, until we find some other way to grow foetuses, they probably will have belly buttons, since they'll have to grow in somebody's womb anyway. :yes: