The Neopet Year

ScarlettViktoria

The actual Lenny started many discussions about the year of Neopets...

When was the beginning of Y9? The calendar tells you that all the 2007 is Y9, 2008 starts with Y10...

But Neo birthday is at 11/15...so in my opinion the Y9 started official with this date...

What do you believe? Or maybe you know the rule?

Has the birthday something to do with the official "year couting" (<-- does something like this exist? don't know..) or are they independent?

It's set up to where Nov 15, 1999-Dec 31, 1999 was Y1. Jan 1, 2000 started Y2, even though the site was less than 2 months old. So, once the new year comes, the year is one more than the age. It's kinda confusing.

I did this week's LC but I started from the 1st January as the beginning of Y9.

I did it pretty quickly after the release, but I don't think I'll get a trophy (assuming I got it right!)

I believe the current Neopets 'year' and the Neopets birthday are pretty much independent.

It does make sense to believe that the birthday would have something to do with the year, but I feel that they're looking at it more from the perspective that it's a New Year, and so they make it thus for the site as well.

Ok... thanks :) I understand why they did it... of course it's better to change the years when there's the normal new year...

I was very irritated because the News said "Yah! Neopets is eight years old today." But when I think about it...to be 8 years old and to be in the neo year 8 must not have anything to do...

I learned something new :graduated:

• 2 weeks later...
It does make sense to believe that the birthday would have something to do with the year, but I feel that they're looking at it more from the perspective that it's a New Year, and so they make it thus for the site as well.

Correct, so if Neopets is 8 years old, and it's already in Y10, don't fret. Technically, it is 8 years old, but if you count Y1 as their starting year (which was a short one, because it started on November 15th, 1999), and count up to 2008, you'll see that it actually makes sense. :)

It's nearly always 2 years ahead of the real Neo age. Like when Neo turns 9, it'll be Y11 quite soon enough.