Neopets Virus Still Out There

Ian

Hi guys,

We've been receiving various reports via email that the Neopets can virus is still out there! Please stay on full alert, seeing as Neopets hasn't fully removed this spyware from their site yet. We don't feel that it's as urgent to post a safety alert, but stay on guard. I truly am shocked, Neopets...

80_chia_police.gif

Stay safe!

~ Team TDN

Well, Ian, what can we do when Viacom has quite a lot of control over the ads, not to mention their sponsors, which influence the type of ads.

Thanks to Firefox and TDN, I was able to block ads from the Internet permanently. :) But those with IE aren't that lucky, I must say...

...Ironically, I got that virus pop-up about five minutes ago. >.> Has anyone reported the virus to TNT? (I'm guessing yes)

I'm one of those unlucky people with IE. D:

Remeber neopet is not the same since 2005 adam does not own it this other company ish does

I find it ridiculous they still have not removed it. :angry: A virus is no light matter. They are basically forcing people to use firefox add-ons such as Adblock and Noscript. I downloaded Opera to view the site when I first heard about this and I don't surf it on IE at all anymore.

I know! Ever since those jerks buyed neopet. It not the same. i mean not there pop-ups and viruses everywhere! Adna neopet prenium O.O i bet somewhere adam is regretting it...

Did you hear that Adam??? You should be ashamed of yourself for selling neopets and not worry about us :crying_blow:

but then again it his site O.o I wish he could see his mistake... Or is was'nt a mistake O.O

I find it ridiculous they still have not removed it. :angry: A virus is no light matter. They are basically forcing people to use firefox add-ons such as Adblock and Noscript. I downloaded Opera to view the site when I first heard about this and I don't surf it on IE at all anymore.

Yeah, I know. But as we say, there are bad things that actually turn out in favor.

Lucky me! I've never gotten the ad, probably because I've adblocked most ads on Neo and I use Firefox! Seriously, I've used many different browsers, but Firefox beats them all :D

Lucky me! I've never gotten the ad, probably because I've adblocked most ads on Neo and I use Firefox! Seriously, I've used many different browsers, but Firefox beats them all :D

Hmm, I've been using Netscape Navigator for quite a while, and it really is similar to Firefox in nearly all aspects. Although now I'm on the awesome FF 3 Beta 1, and it's really fast. :)

Umm. we have IE version 7. It has Phishing Filter that filters websites. Will that make it safe? Our Anti-virus is expiring.

Nope, this will not protect you. The Phishing Filter is for fraudulent websites only - it cannot protect you against viruses.

Use a different browser if you can. :)

This isn't the point, "change to FireFox." Sure, there are some people who like FireFox, but I personally don't like it at all. So this shouldn't be a matter of sticking just to FireFox and stop using IE to browse Neopets. Neopets should be safe in all browsers. I think if people protest on the Neoboards, they will listen. Otherwise, they will assume people are protected or they just don't care.

@HBK: I think Firefox actually originated from Netscape ages ago.

It seems that Neopets grew too big for its own good, and needed the financial support of a large company. In my experience large companies tend to mess things up.

I don't see how any company gains from sending out a virus though (unless it was an antivirus provider xD)...just doesn't make sense to me *shakes head*

The company has NOTHING to do with the virus, it is the ad provider. The problem is that apparently Neopets isn't listening and they're not doing anything at all, they don't even mention it nor apologize! It isn't too late, but I hope they do say something about this issue.

This isn't the point, "change to FireFox." Sure, there are some people who like FireFox, but I personally don't like it at all. So this shouldn't be a matter of sticking just to FireFox and stop using IE to browse Neopets. Neopets should be safe in all browsers. I think if people protest on the Neoboards, they will listen. Otherwise, they will assume people are protected or they just don't care.

Then whatever, use Opera, Netscape, Safari, whatever, just don't use IE. It has been proven that IE has the most security vulnerabilities, and that's not talking just about Neopets. But if you want to follow the 82% of the Internet community that still uses Microsoft's crappy browser, fine by me.

But if you catch just one infection, let your AV deal with it, I must say.

All my teachers recommend Firefox. Since it was installed in all my school's network computers, the virus percentage has decreased by a stunning 68%! And yes, the computer all have an AV and it's updated various times a day.

I like Microsoft, their products are good (mostly), but I just don't like their browser. Sure, I was an IE user for some long years (IE 4 and 5, good times, no spyware), but when 6 came, I fled to Firefox.

It all began with spyware.

Bottom line is, whatever browser you use, don't click the ad, and protect yourself!

And yes, Firefox and Netscape are from the same company, Mozilla.

I love how you all praise firefox. *I* use firefox and I get the ad constantly, not as much as in the last few weeks, but I still get it. Obviously their pop up things aren't working correctly on my firefox, and yes I have them set to no popups. I had adblock but it slowed my firefox down completely, I felt like I was using dial up! I had to remove all ad ons because they slow firefox down.

At any rate, they should not still have this ad that's causing this virus to be on there anymore. They've been told about it yet nothing is being done about it. I am sure they could get another ad to replace it.

I love how you all praise firefox. *I* use firefox and I get the ad constantly, not as much as in the last few weeks, but I still get it. Obviously their pop up things aren't working correctly on my firefox, and yes I have them set to no popups. I had adblock but it slowed my firefox down completely, I felt like I was using dial up! I had to remove all ad ons because they slow firefox down.

At any rate, they should not still have this ad that's causing this virus to be on there anymore. They've been told about it yet nothing is being done about it. I am sure they could get another ad to replace it.

Well, I praise Firefox because it's an excellent program and browser, or do you think I shout out the odds to every bit of code that I test and use?

Regarding Neopets, well, it's not entirely their fault, but after the complaints, it's a bit disappointing that TNT hasn't taken any action.

I guess their busy you know? I mean drawiing picture for advent calender but ya it a bit dissapointing

I praise firefox because it deserves the praise. :P If I'm not mistaken, PC World named it the number 1 browser available, and that's good enough for me.

It's not this virus that started my frustration with IE...I've hated IE for how many years now? :P

Well, knowing TnT they may get around to looking into the virus problem in what, a year? xD Judging from past history...neoschools, pound, etc. etc.