antiaircraft

Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS do you think is best?

• Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    • Windows Vista
    • Other

Sometime soon I'm going to have to get a new computer, and with that, a new OS. I've been using Windows XP for several years now, so I'm pretty much sick of it by now. :P

I'm looking for any recommendations for a good operating system. I would generally prefer a stable, flexible OS that is highly customizable and can run most modern software. Comments on your own experiences with operating systems would be greatly appreciated, but please don't refer to extremely old versions of the OS, as I'm aware that some of the operating systems, especially Mac, have undergone some drastic changes recently.

I just recently upgraded my computer to Windows XP from some old Windows in the '90s. A major relief for me anyway.

But since that's besides the point, I'd say that you should go with Windows Vista. My brother has it on his laptop and I think it's amazing. A TON of new features are present on Windows Vista, and by the looks of it, is highly customizable. Also, the whole new look is a breath of fresh air.

That's my opinion of what you should get. Windows Vista.

Interesting comments - it seems that most of the voters in the poll agree with you. With SP1 coming out, there shouldn't be too many bugs hanging around either, although that hardware sounds a little pricey. >.<

I'll probably get a Linux Live CD and take a poke around sometime soon to see if I like it.

I'm not a big tech head but I know some. I'm not a big mac head but I know some. Everyone else in the world seems to be a PC head. For me? I have both a PC and a Mac. The mac has never given me issues, the PC's I have had over the years aaaaalways have. No contest for me! I heard vista is just copies of heaps of mac things anyway...but just repeating what I've heard

If you look at the OS market, as soon as one company puts out a new feature that people like, all the other companies copy it in some way or other - heh. So basically I think all OSs copy stuff from each other.

All three still sound like viable options at the moment...

I have Vista and it looks nice.

However, there aren't many things in it that makes you go 'WOW!'.

It's just a normal operating system but nothing out of the extrodinary unless you count the 'Diagnose & Repair' Function it has.

• 3 weeks later...
Sometime soon I'm going to have to get a new computer, and with that, a new OS. I've been using Windows XP for several years now, so I'm pretty much sick of it by now. :P

I'm looking for any recommendations for a good operating system. I would generally prefer a stable, flexible OS that is highly customizable and can run most modern software. Comments on your own experiences with operating systems would be greatly appreciated, but please don't refer to extremely old versions of the OS, as I'm aware that some of the operating systems, especially Mac, have undergone some drastic changes recently.

As an animator, I use computers quite intensively. I used to be a big pc user back in high school when all I needed it for was word, a bit of photo-shopping and games. As soon as I started uni, I got myself a nice mac and never went back. The major downside, is of course it's expensive. At work I use a pc for compatibility reasons with some big special effects machines, but at home I have a mac.

Good luck deciding!

Okay, I'm a devout PC user. I've used Windows since day one. However, I would NEVER recommend Vista. I work for technical support, and it just makes me want to weep, at times. Also, I hate macs. You really can't go outside the box on those things. Plus, I refer to those as training wheels for a PC. Start on mac, and work your way up. But, I still want to get a live copy of ubuntu, or something along those lines. Until I get one of those, I can't really make any suggestions.

Oh, and Vista was so bad that they actually started selling computers with XP, again. :yes:

As someone that deals with the OS's all day long, do NOT go with Vista.

If you had to go with something that was 'stable' I would say Linux.

Leopard still doesn't work with most Video games, and boot camp is interesting, but unreliable

Vista is horrible, and doesn't still have a lot of support. Most product support (like myself) doesn't have all the info on Vista, like we did on Xp, as Microsoft will not release. So getting support for specific programs, that deal with the os, you would have to pay for Microsoft support.

• 3 weeks later...
As someone that deals with the OS's all day long, do NOT go with Vista.

If you had to go with something that was 'stable' I would say Linux.

Leopard still doesn't work with most Video games, and boot camp is interesting, but unreliable

Vista is horrible, and doesn't still have a lot of support. Most product support (like myself) doesn't have all the info on Vista, like we did on Xp, as Microsoft will not release. So getting support for specific programs, that deal with the os, you would have to pay for Microsoft support.

Another criticism for Vista. I sincerely don't get it. My hardware all works on Vista (sure, there have been some compatibilities, but drivers solved that), and so does my software.

At my school (just for an example) our computer are XP equipped with Firefox as a browser (I asked for them to install it, because I REFUSE to work with IE otherwise it's a really important case) and Office 2003. Well, I hate working on it because XP, for me, is already too old. The computer on the other side have Vista and I can get the job done so much faster because of Office 2007 and the great features of Vista.

I just don't recommend Vista for games, it's too slow unless it's a DX10 game. Stick with XP for that, at least until SP1 comes out.

I've tried Ubuntu, but the variety of apps isn't that appealing. However, it's a nice OS, I just don't recommend it for personal use, it's a little complicated for non-cmd users.

As for Mac, just one video for you -

Interesting suggestions... I still haven't gotten a chance to look at Ubuntu yet, but I do consider myself a reasonably good cmd user.