What is a weapon?

Guest Levy

Lemme start this off with a story my physics teacher told us last week. She told us this story to compare the level of security in her school compared tot he little security we had because we have been having rumors of food fights.

She said when she went to high school her older sister's driverside seat in her car was broken, the recline part would stay down. Her brother suggested to prop it up with a baseball bat. She went to school the next day with a baseball bat propping up the driverside seat. Apparently the school took notice and threatened to suspend her because it was a "weapon".

I think a weapon is only a weapon if is being used as a weapon.

A car is a weapon only if you are running people down with it, a butter knife is a weapon only if you are stabbing someone with it. A Katana is only a weapon if you are slicing someone in half with it.

I know a guy who almost got arrested because he had a civil war rifle hanging in his living room, they considered it an unregistered firearm, I think. The thing wouldn't even fire anymore.

So, what do you realy consider a weapon, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon so what is a weapon?

I believe a weapon is always a weapon when it's being made for that specefic purpose. It's the fact that human intellect allows us to find ways to turn almost all non-weaponry into weapons that makes people nervous.

Sometimes if your watching the news or something, you may hear something like this:

Recently, a man was arrested for using a bat as a weapon

If they were talking about a gun, I'm sure the "as a weapon" part would be left out. Pretty much because all firearms are used as weapons for animals, humans, and self-defense. Like I said before, a weapon is a weapon if it is made for such.

This is a bit tricky to answer, but I'll try my best.

I believe a weapon doesn't become one only when you use it, but also if there has been a previous history of that object being used as a weapon (i.e. a baseball bat). It's not only about waiting for someone to use an object as a weapon, but try to prevent someone from using one. It's a sad thing that's happening everywhere at this moment so it isn't that surprising if an authority comes to you and ask you why do you have a hammer on the trunk of your car. If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't worry.

I think I would rather have an authority ask the person why is s/he carrying a "potential" weapon, than wait until something bad happens.

Some of it is ridiculous, but most of it is understandable. The baseball bat thing should've been consulted, not threatened. I think things should be spoken about instead of instantly jumping to conclusions.

In my opinion, a weapon is a weapon as long as it can be used as a weapon. It seems kinda ridiculous to call something harmless one moment and a weapon the next.

I think people shouldn't be arrested for having weapons, but for using them or trying to use them. After all, the human body can be used effectively as a weapon as well.

You're all right, and I especially agree that something is a weapon only if it is being used for harm. The baseball bat is, after all, sporting gear. What if she had a son that played baseball? Would that still be a weapon?

Crusher

Just to clarify my point: I think that, even if it had just been used to prop up the car seat or play baseball, the baseball bat is still a weapon. However, the baseball bat is also a useful tool and an essential piece for a game of sport. Thus, unless a weapon is being used as a weapon, it shouldn't be confiscated or whatever, even if it is still a weapon, unless of course it is very obviously a weapon and would be impractical to use for any other sensible purpose (eg. a bomb in an airport).

• 2 months later...

You have 2 catagories

Always Weapons

---------------------

Guns

Knifes Built For Killing

Bombs

Can be Weapons

-----------------------

Everything else

If you include one thing from one of the catagories, then you must include evrything else in that catagory, so if they say a bat is a weapon, then people must come to a school that is in a dirt field (the grass could hurt someone) with no supplies or anything, and they can't wear clothes (they might hurt someone). That is not the world I want to live in. ( At least not now, there are to many fat people)