Brain Teasers 2

Myriad

I'm back in the game! :P

The answer to this puzzle is 81. It appears that in the Quoccorain mathematics system, their operators are the reverse of ours, and to get the final answer you must subtract 3 from the result and then multiply it by itself (i.e. square it). So 6/2 would become (6*2 - 3)^2, which is 81.

It literally took me ages to get the reversed operator thing... <_<

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Waves- Hello! Hope you didn't spend too much time on that one. :D

What others do laterally I do upright.

My namesakes have run races but I don't compete, alright?

My cousins are dragons but not a lizard be,

I do one thing that all men can't so what can I be?

Seahorses. I'd explain it but it would bore you all to death. Did you all know that the male seahorse is the one who gets pregnant and not the female? When the female is pregnant, she lets out a 'tube' for lack of a better word and it's attached to the male. She then transfers the unborn fetuses into the male. Weird, huh?

Lol, yeah. :) The answer was seahorse, too. You get a prize, Ryuuk! Anything in particular you'd like, and who shuld I send it to?

Oh yeah, and I won't be on from Wednesday-Friday. :(

There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?

Splitting, then spitting, sitting, siting, sting, ting, tin, in, and finally I. Comprehensive vocabularies rock! :D

Uhm. . . I don't know. . . I don't go on Neopets really all that much anymore so it doesn't really matter to me. Just something simple and inexpensive, I suppose. sweet1234525036 is my username so. . . yah.

And even though you prolly got it before I did, the word that I think it is is "startling". Remove the L and you get "Staring". Remove the second T, "String". Keep doing that and you would get these words, "Sing," "Sin," "In," and "I". I had fun with this one! ^_^

:( You're gonna be gone? Aww! Well, it can't be helped. I hope you have fun!

Well it seems that both of those fit... :P I wonder if I could find another possible answer...

Yes, the answer on the site was "startling", but "splitting" works as well, so you can both get a point.

One day, an eccentric billionaire decided to give a destitute man a break. But not a total break, as we shall see. So, he invites him into a room in his mansion with seven doors. There is also a large-screen projector that projects the following five images, repeatedly, one at a time:

A human brain, Earth, the incomplete phrase: 'Fair and ____,' the letters AZCONMUT and a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with the edges perfectly cut off.

The poor man was allowed an entire day to study the images, after which he would have to choose the door that corresponded to the commonality of the images. The next day the man walked through the correct door, and the billionaire made him rich. What door did the man choose?

He chose door four. The letters represent the four corners, also known as Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. I live in Arizona, so this one was easy to figure out. "Fair and ______" is "Fair and square". A square has four corners. A sandwich has four corners. Thus, the answer is door four.

That's correct!

One day, Spy IQ found a note on the windshield wiper of his spymobile. It was from his boss. It concerned where the spy's next assignment was. Yet all the note said was:

near angry print

In what country is Spy IQ's next assignment?

My first thought was Africa because the note said "Near Angry Print" and it reminded me of a cheetah.. but then I thought 'are cheetahs even native to Africa?' and then I reread the teaser. Windshield wipers are used to wipe of rain. I took the letters R A I and N out of "Near Angry Print" and got "E G Y P T". So the answer is Egypt.

I have a friend in Egypt.. actually, he's not a friend, he's more of a stalker.

He lives in Copenhagen in Denmark.

Budapest is in Hungary. Kabul is in Pakistan. Copenhagen is in Denmark. Their names are the last letters in the name of the country they live in.

And yes, I do have an Egyptian stalker. It's scary.

Lol, I mean, poor you. :(

Right again!

My friend Jon has a telephone number that I can never remember, so I practise "dialling" the number in my calculator to get into the habit. As it happens, his number is 638468.

I dialled on my teleohone to ring him last night but a voice at the other end of the line said "Hello, Newton 692462".

Can you explain these events and tell me what I have done wrong?

That's simple enough. A calculator has its keys laid out like this:

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

But a phone is laid out like this:

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

So when he dialled the number he had practised on his phone, he dialled 7, 8, and 9 respectively instead 1, 2, and 3, and vice versa. :)

You're right, way too simple. (:

Have I posted this before? I forget.

I am your employer. You have a dead end job that you want to get out of. You are just dying to QUIT. But really, you don't have to do that. I'll let you resign with a huge payoff if you can spell the word QUIT. Oh, of course there's a catch: I DICTATE TO YOU how to spell it. Follow my lead:

Given:

Q = 17, 3, 2/5

U = 21, 3, 3/5

Task:

Tell me what number sequence equals the letters I and T according to the pattern I gave you, thus completing the spelling of the word QUIT. If you are successful, I will let you go with a good recommendation, and with a lot of spending money.

That's right. You don't have to explain because the answer's really long.

What am I?

With it I am a collection.

Without it, litigation.

What am I?

With it I am a hazard to health.

Without it I am just myself.

What am I?

With it I am linked to a moon.

Without it I am linked to the sun.