The RED RING OF DEATH!!!

Guest Levy

For all you with next gen console deficiencies out there, the Red Ring Of Death refers to the red 3/4 ring on an Xbox 360 when it experiences hard drive failure. This horrible disease has plagued unlucky Xbox 360 owners for a while now and is only bringing up major concern now, especially with all the whinny nerds out there with internet access so they can complain to everyone. Now Microsoft has taken measures to cope with this problem by extending to warranty from one year to three years. But it takes about 6 weeks for Microsoft to receive, fix, and send back the system and even then there's the possibility it could happen again. I am afraid if game developers continue pushing the 360's limits, this will only continue.

There was an article in Official Xbox Magazine's December 07 issue about this problem ((I'm serious, December's issue)). I don't have the magazine with me at the moment but it seemed like a serious ordeal, especially those who were too cheap to get the warranty.

I am curious, what are your thoughts on the Red Ring of Death?

I'm a partial owner of an X-Box 360 (More of a Nintendo nerd) and I never experienced the Ring of Death. Although if it was to happen, I would be upset. Anytime a video game addict has to go into withdrawel from his/her favorite console, you know it's going to be agonizing pain. Microsoft is gonna do whatever it takes to make the 360 one of the best systems around.

Microsoft is actually keeping quiet about the Red Ring of Death, if they were going to do anything they would have been the ones to admit that it was hard drive failure, but they were not. I think they are facing class action lawsuits and they don't want to give out information that could 'help the enemy'. But I hope they face the problem and fix it before Christmas. The hard drive failure occurs when the system is subject to intense gameplay, effectively over heating the hard drive and causing the Red Ring of Death.

They're hardly keeping quiet about the whole thing. If they were, wouldn't they have kept the warranty length the same?

No, I don't own an Xbox 360, although I'm partial to it, owning an original Xbox.

Things have their limits. Computers overheat and crash too. It was just an unforseen event and they have taken measures to fix it in its design. It's now much less common than last year.

Its likely they've extended the warranty but haven't declared why. They claim that Xbox 360 hard drive failure is only 5% or 6% of 360 consoles, which is acceptable for any console. But it is clear that its far more than that, they just won't admit it. I saw an poll online, which was broadcast live on an episode of Attack of the Show, which is the news show for all the things you care about on G4. Apparently, 53% have experienced the Red Ring of Death. Again, it is caused by the hard drive overheating when subject to long and intense gameplay, a while ago people were blaming the games, but its faulty hardware and Microsoft won't admit it.

Microsoft won't admit anything if it will greatly affect the popularity of one of their products. They obviously don't want to have one of those recalls where every X-Box 360 is taken of the shelves and the company has to put time and money in figuring out how to fix it. They're just trying to find the best way how to deal with the Ring of Death without the garuntee they'll actually fix it.

THAT, is the best put explanation to Microsoft's ignorance I've ever heard when it comes to the Red Ring of Death. I'll have to find that OXM article and throw some quotes onto the boards too. *Thinks* Where did I put that thing?

You know, perhaps holding a poll on "Have you experienced something that happens after intense gameplay?" isn't going to fetch a straight answer on a show aimed at intense gamers. :/

And what foolish company would admit that their console has faults? That doesn't get them anywhere...

• 2 months later...

My friend had it happen, I saw it. It was almost as horrific as the blue screen of death on a pc. But he didn't get depressed about it, instead he had his uncle (a lawyer) act like they were gonna sue microsoft and they sent him a free 360, Halo 3, and 2 free years of xbox live.