Ack Program Wont Come off. Its Spyware.

Dillon

Ok I accidently click a popup and it downloaded spyware. I cant get it gone. The program is called Virus Protect Pro3.3. Can any one help me get it off?

Go into your Start window, Go to Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs, Find the program and click remove on the right hand side and follow the intrustions to get rid of it

Seriously? Hmm.. Maybe try viewing it in your programs file and see if it gives you the option to uninstall the program?

Okay.

That is very wierd that it is not showing up in your control panel under add and remove.

No, I'm affraid not. It will only be delected from your files, not your computer.

That's why I was shocked that it's not listed under your control panel.

Hmm,

Are you sure it's not listed under there?

Yeah I tried it and said it was already uninstalled. Norton said If my computer restarted it would be gone. I think Im gonna try that.

Norton is a good program

Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help.

Theres 2 options

1) Try a System restore

If Not (and only if 1 don't work)

2) I had a slightly same Problemo with a trojan which no-one could remove, (not even my friend, and he is a famous computer ethnical H***** around the world). We couldn't get rid of it no matter what until we tried the 'sweeping under the mat' technique

You can make loads of users on one PC. make a different login(user) and transfer all your files to that. Then delete the old user. Hopefully the Spyware will be deleted as well. (it worked with a trojan)

You could also use an online tool (like HijackThis from Trend Micro) to try and get rid of it.

But thoes are just adding more programs to his computer that will run in the background if you think about it.

Ah, you need a stronger solution than Norton. First, TURN SYSTEM RESTORE OFF. THIS IS VITAL. Then, sweep with Ad-Aware, remove threats, install Spybot Search and Destroy, sweep and then remove threats. Install Hijackthis and send me a log if possible to my email or PM it. DO NOT ATTEMPT to remove any things you don't know, please. Hijack is one of the most powerful programs and it can screw your machine up, so don't delete nothing you don't know. After this, I will tell you what to do if all I indicated above works.

If this doesn't work, a full reformat of the hard drive should be executed.

Thanks.

I noticed that sometimes spyware is installed on my Cookies so what I do is first run Spybot search & destroy (it's free to download and very simple to use). Then once I see the spyware what I do is try to remove it by just deleting my cookies and temporary files, then run Spybot again and scan, if I don't see it then it worked, but if I do see it then I try to remove using Spybot.

Yes but that require him to install more programs on the computer -.-

That takes up space and can result in a slow pc.

Up to you though, and hes parents if they want all that stuff on there too.