Windows Longhorn: What Would've Been

Samuel

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Lon...oad-55624.shtml

Softpedia reports that Windows Longhorn, the operating system that was supposed to be released but got called off in favour of pursuing Windows Vista in 2004, has now been ressurrected and is avaliable for download (if you know what you're doing). There was a build of it released by Microsoft in 2004, and some ubergeeks have now finished off the job =D

There's two screenies of What Would've Been:

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Window...-Download-3.jpg

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Window...-Download-4.jpg

Personally, it scares me. Would much rather have Vista =D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Longhorn simply Vista's codename? Then they released it to the public and everything was all hunky-dory with Vista?

They found out it was going to take a long time just building up from the XP coding without much changed, so they recoded it again from scratch. That's why it took so long.

Or not. <_<

But yes, it does look like a rather shiny version of XP.

It was indeed Vista's codename, but they weren't happy with what they were doing, and after releasing an initial build, scrapped it. This is like; Vista version one :P

Yeah, it took so long because they recoded from scratch, indeed.

They're already working on 'Windows Vienna' (also called 'Windows 7', both codenames), the next one to be released in 2009/2010. However, it's likely to be a more of a mini-update; like from 98 to 2000, with the biggest update coming in 2011.

Later in this year, 'Windows Fiji' - basically Vista SP1 - is supposed to be released. It's supposed to change Vista in a bounty of ways, earning itself a codename ;o

Anything with a codename is always something big. Indeed.

They're making XP Service Pack 3 I hear, now, too. Apart from that doesn't have a codename. I guess those who can't afford to upgrade don't get such a cool update. Hmm...

• 4 weeks later...

Lol, that version sucks. First, Media Center 2004?! That's like, so outdated. Then IE 7 and WMP 11 should be included, but aren't even in the ISO.

The only new thing about it, the log on screen. All backgrounds and patches were taken from Microsoft.

And it took 8 months? Jeez.