Natives Stop Magma Machinations Cold

Midtime

jetsam_day_2004.gif

Here we are again, Altador Cuppers, ready to explore the results of today's labours. I'm Brooke with The Daily Neopets, reporting live from our comfortable, air-conditioned studio. Today was the last day of round three; we're in the home stretch now! So as long as no more staffers go missing, and no one gets blown up or falls out of a tree or drinks a bad slushie, we'll be here to the end. Let's head right into the Alabriss bracket together, shall we?

Cake-cakity The results of the match between Tyrannia and Meridell seemed all but a foregone conclusion as the teams took the field today. The frightening prospect of going up against the nearly-unbeatable Fossils for the second time this round did little to daunt the mighty Knights, however. They gave it their all, as they always do, but still came up short against a team that has taken no prisoners all season. After their second round in a row unbeaten, Tyrannia stands third in the standings; Lost Desert is close on their heels. Meridell is resting comfortably in sixth place; not a bad showing so far!

The Haunted Woods haven't managed a single Yooyuball win this year, but today they came tantalizingly close in their match against Roo Island. The Rooligans swept the Zombies, making their second sweep this round. They are now in seventh place, whereas the Zombies are sitting at the bottom of the standings, tied with Moltara. If they really work at it, they may be able to pull themselves out of the bottom and pass up Virtupets, or even Brightvale. Time will tell!

Faeries and Maraquans The last match of the round fell to Maraqua and Faerieland. The Faeries have been doing better than expected this year, pulling off some upsets against teams with much better records. Today their strength in Yooyuball paid off, as they bested the Mermaids on the field. Elon Hughlis rallied the troops, however, and Maraqua sideswept Faerieland. Maraqua has ended the round in tenth place; the Faeries are not far behind in thirteenth.

I'll turn things over to Midtime now for the Minitheus bracket. How are things going your way, Midtime?

[Midtime looks up, and clears their throat.]

Thank you, Brooke! Er, as we are both in the same studio I believe our total velocity should be very similar. Oh! Yes, the Minitheus bracket. Let me see to that.

Holy naked Gnorbus, Batman The Mummies found the tide turned against them in their first encounter with the Kikos this season. No effort was spared, as always, in the Kikos' onslaught, and despite their most valiant exertions, Team Lost Desert could only somewhat lessen the margin by which they lost, and the match ended just as one-sidedly as all the rest of today's. Kiko Lake are by now the only team never to have lost a match this season, thanks in no small part to their own efforts; and in view of how steadily they have kept up this record, it may not be too early to say that they took home the Cup!

[The reporter visibly freezes.]

Um - I apologise. Due to the function of grammatical tenses, it would, in fact, be too early to say that.

Let us move on.

Happy Robot The Robots outdid themselves in spectacular fashion, executing an unforeseen sweep against a capable but unsuspecting Team Brightvale. While Virtupets have snatched their share of small triumphs over the course of the Cup, their performance today, according to commentators, was far beyond anything they have mustered so far, rivalling this year's most prominent contenders. Virtupets fans, in justifiably high spirits, managed to flood the news conference their idols held, forcing it to be cut short - unfortunately - before our interviewers could solicit a comment from team captain Keetra Deile. To compensate for this, we have instead sent a list of questions to Team Virtupets' official email address. If it has not been intercepted by their spam filter, we can expect it to be read and responded to as early as next year! Fortunately, our email practices are absolutely professional. I sent the questions a dozen times, just to be sure that they would be noticed.

Last in the bracket, Team Krawk Island's rematch with Altador ended in another sweep on the Pirates' side. Both teams may be able to say they have had a rough three rounds. For the Pirates, this is a valuable accomplishment, boosting them to eighth in the rankings - tied with the Minions. For the Suns, it is merely another in a long string of crushing defeats. It may be easy for fans to be demoralised by Altador's present record, but let us all remember that it is the spirit of the game that counts! The greatest motivator of all is revenge.

Er, I mean camaraderie. One of the two - I often forget.

This has been the Minitheus bracket. I will pass you on to Matt, now, who will stall until the Vaeolus results arrive.

[Cut to Matt.]

Thanks Midtime! The results from the Vaeolus Bracket just came in, so let's get started right away!

BANG kind of Kreludor ended the third round with a bang as they brought out the brooms once again to blow away the Minions. Although the Minions came close to preventing a sweep in Slushie Slinger, they weren't able to make that final push to tie with the Moons. As a result, the Moons finish the third round on a high note. Currently second place overall, Kreludor will be looking to retain their podium position. On the other hand, the Minions will try to make a push to rise up from the middle of the pack.

The matchup between the underdogs of the bracket, Mystery Island and Moltara did not disappoint spectators today. Although the match ended in a sweep in the Natives' favor, the Magmas fought valiantly and had a close match in all of the games. With a score gap of only one point in all of the games, the Natives inched slightly ahead of the Magmas. If the Magmas focused on one or two games rather than spreading their energy to all four games, a different story might've occurred. However, the past is in the past and both teams will be looking ahead to round four as they try to redeem themselves and rise up from the lower brackets.

Chill-Chillery The final matchup between Terror Mountain and Shenkuu was also a rather close match. The Chillers were able to dominate Make Some Noise like usual, and with only two losses up to this point, it seems as if the Chillers' fanbase is bigger than ever this year. However, Yooyuball and the remaining two side games were a different story as the Ninjas were able to make a close push to close the score gap to one. In the end, the Chillers were able to finish the third round with a solid sweep. The Chillers have a good chance to make a run for the podium this year, but will they be able to keep this momentum up throughout the next two rounds?

That wraps up today's report! Tomorrow is a bye day so teams will be resting up, and so will we. We will return later with the results from the fourth round but for now, this is Matt signing off. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be making my way back to the newsroom. I've had enough of the outdoors experience. Brooke, Midtime, I hope you'll both be delighted to hear that I'm returning to the studio! Until next time Neopians.

caption_1025.gif

Obligatory disclaimer: This news report was written to inform you all of the latest Altador Cup results in as entertaining a manner as possible. The rest of its content is largely fictional, composed from various fan comments and the whims of our imagination in an attempt to inspire a sense of realism through our reporting. While we do our best to keep things reasonably neutral, this report is in no way intended to be a completely bias-free listing of the day's results, nor does it claim to provide critical analysis of past and potential outcomes from qualified Altador Cup experts. Please note that the opinions formulated in this report are from a full team of different reporters, and in no way represent the views of only a single faction. If you're looking for 100% unbiased performance data, take a look at our standings page. If professional analysis tickles your fancy, you want our predictions pages (global/daily).