Back after hiatus, Neopets is an amazing place

yesadnil

Hello! Wanted to introduce myself to everyone and say hello. ^__^

I've played Neopets for almost 12 years now, and probably one of the older players.

I stopped for a while when I was in college, but now that I'm in grad school, decided to check back in again. I wanted to reflect on how amazing the website it, and how it's grown. The world of Neopets is now so large, so embedded with characters and history and small quirks that only regular players know....it's remarkable how far it's come in the last decade!

I love it so much. I love the games, the humor, the community, the low maintenance. I'm terrible at all the games, but it's still fun to play them and hone your skills.

So a question for the Neopet players out there...how do you integrate Neopets into your normal lives? Personally, I've never told anyone that I play Neopets. My sister saw me playing it once, 5 years ago, and she judged me so hard and mocked me so much that I felt really insecure and never told another soul ever again. How about you guys?

Welcome to TDN :D

It's always great to see players from a long time ago come back and enjoy the site all over again. I've been playing for 12 years myself and I took a long, long break. Ironically, it wasn't until I got married that I started playing again.

Personally, I spent the most time on Neopets when I'm at work. We have a lot of downtime and we're allowed to do whatever we want, as long as it's not inappropriate, so Neopets is the perfect fit. I've always been honest about playing and all of my coworkers (Which is a pretty even split of around my age of late 20s and those in their mid to late 40s) and my managers know I play. I've never once been teased. My coworkers either have heard of it due to their kids/friends playing, or have shown an interest in it and asked me what it's like. I actually had one coworker in his mid 40s start playing since he saw how much time I spend on it.

I've kinda learned over my life that it doesn't matter what you do, there will always be people that judge and feel the need to make fun of someone for something. If you enjoy it, that's what matters. Ignore everyone else. That's what I've done, instead of acting embarrassed, I've been open and confident about it and no one has said a word to me.

When I was younger I never told anyone, except my cousin who is two year younger than me. She has an account but I don't think she plays anymore. My neodeck is named after her and I think I named my first pet after her hahaha. That's how close we were. So no judgement there.

I made my mom sign up yesterday because she said she needed new games and wanted to know what ones I was playing. So I showed her, gave her my referal link (ch-ching 100 NPS!) and she signed up. I don't know if she's playing or not but hopefully.

I tried to get my niece into it but she's says she's too old. She's 20, which only makes her 6 years younger than me (at present. In Jan she'll be 5 years younger than me). WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP.

I used to care but I've developed a philosophy in life that I think will apply here. "I do what I want, if you don't like it, BYE!"

Also, welcome back!

Similar story for me...and a lot of other people on the forums! I started playing soon after it launched, but have taken a lot of breaks since then. Welcome back :)

When I was a teenager I remember getting the "Why? Isn't that for kids?" from the few people I told about it. Since at that age you're more interested in breaking away from "kid stuff", I might have cared more, but now it wouldn't bother me at all. Besides, how could it be any worse than a lot of those apps and phone games that so many adults are obsessed with anyway?

I have never met a single other person who uses the site, ever in my life, and that's pretty much the only reason I don't talk about it (and why I like the TDN forums!) I wouldn't have a problem bringing it up, I just know it would be explaining - No, actually there ARE a lot of adults who use it, and that's about as far as it would get. So yea, I basically just play on my own time and leave it at that.

:) I'm really glad to hear that people are proud of their passion, and won't let other people's judgment get in the way of it.

I would really like to tell my boyfriend (because I want to check my dailies sometimes when we're together), but I'm afraid he'll find it childish and ridiculous. I've also never know anyone around me to play Neopets, but I'm not sure if it's because it's an eclectic hobby, or because no one wants to talk about it.

I never talk about it, and only go on Neopets alone, in my room, at night, with the door closed, etc....

:) I'm really glad to hear that people are proud of their passion, and won't let other people's judgment get in the way of it.

I would really like to tell my boyfriend (because I want to check my dailies sometimes when we're together), but I'm afraid he'll find it childish and ridiculous. I've also never know anyone around me to play Neopets, but I'm not sure if it's because it's an eclectic hobby, or because no one wants to talk about it.

I never talk about it, and only go on Neopets alone, in my room, at night, with the door closed, etc....

I had a friend that I lived with and I'm not sure how it came about, probably that I was playing it and he saw or something but he was like "NEOPETS?! I played that forever ago. I wish I remembered my username and password. I've got a couple million NP you could have." I wanted to smack him. Tried to get him to figure it out but he didn't have access to his e-mail or remember what email he used. Pity.

My question is why do you feel like you have to tell him or that you have to hide it? It's not like it's extremely relative information. It's not a terminal illness (although sometimes FC does give me a panic attacks - like today my bets have me winning like 4 mil. It won't happen that way but I'm like "oh, no what did I do? My bets never look like this. I bet I did the math wrong, kill me now if I did the math wrong, because with Habi gone I can't afford to tank as often AAHHHH! Shame Spiral into....*PANIC ATTACK*).

So really, besides making it into this big deal, what is the harm in not making it into a big deal? Like play, don't hide that you're playing and if he asks and laughs, just shrug it off. Then you can come cry and complain to us and we'll console you like we're your neopets besties and tell you he doesn't understand and feed you Faerie Queen Cupcakes.

I mean, if the worst thing in your world is your boyfriend laughing at you for playing a "kids game" then I wish I had you problems hahaha. *lol*