Weird/odd food item(s) you've ate?

Aubree8584

I've eaten Chinese snails and escargot before. I really liked the Chinese snails but the escargot was kind of plain to me

I'm Mexican, so I've eaten some things Americans wouldn't even touch haha.

Most recently I've had grasshoppers...fried and eaten from a street vendor with 0 rules for sanitation.

My favorite "weird" dish is menudo - spicy cow intestine soup. It's REALLY good, I promise! We used to have it every Sunday but now I just get it when I go see my horses early in the morning and dad wants to go have breakfast somewhere. It takes ~7 hr to prepare with the recipes used here, so it's not something my mom would ever make for us.

menudo.jpg

I live in the southwestern side of the US and I always see signs for Menudo! I know whats in it and thats why I'm afraid to try it.. but it it does look good!

It really does taste good, if it's prepared well. Bad/rushed menudo will at worst be greasy because it has to be brought to boil and then cooled back down multiple times so the grease congeals at the top and it can be taken off. It'll usually be served with bread, so you can use that to dip into the soup if you're scared to try the meat. Oh, and it usually has corn in it so you could fish that out. But the meat itself is soft and the taste can only be described as VERY umami. Think concentrated chicken. I personally only fish out the smoother pieces of meat because I don't like the texture of the other ones, but most of the meat is smooth on one side and "fluffy" on the other and IMO that's the most kid-friendly meat in it.

Menudo goes from very mild to medium spicyness, so if you're not good with spicy just have it with a lot of bread :)