Blizzard Over Here!

Novelista

I'm not sure which other states have been sacked by the snow and cold (Ohio and Minnesota, I think), but we're getting beaten up over here!

Click here for snowfall totals.

None of these are my exact location, but I'm 35 minutes from Holt, for example.

Or, crossposting from another post in a separate subforum (and twitter):

Snowfall Totals as of 10 PM...Lansing 15''...Jackson 17''...DeWitt 16''...Hillsdale 14''...Coldwater 19''...Springport 16.5''

I'm about 15-20 minutes from West Lansing and 25-30 minutes from Lansing proper. So you can guess what it looks like at my house! (I'm going to stop and watch the news momentarily to see if they have a number for my town...they usually show it on the map.)

Due to the blizzard and the subzero temps tomorrow, pretty much every school in the area is closed. Michigan State University is closed. General Motors canceled third shift and delayed first until 8a. (My dad is a GM retiree and I think he used to report to days at 6a, if that tells you anything.) Many cities and townships are not only closed tomorrow, they've declared snow emergencies to keep the roads clear. And, to top it all off, the governor has declared that all non-essential state functions will be unavailable tomorrow.

As you may have heard me mention earlier, I turn 28 Tuesday. I have to say...this is the worst I've seen in 28 years!

I'm supposed to have a birthday massage, but I scheduled that before I knew about the wind chill issue. With a potential of -30 wind chills on Tuesday, they may close then, too. (They already said on FB that they're closed tomorrow.)

You weren't in the part of the state that got rain, then?

You weren't in the part of the state that got rain, then?

Nope, that'd be me. :laughingsmiley: It was sort of rain-sleeting around 5-6 p.m. my time... Now it's windy as hell and blowing snow everywhere... We got about a foot this past week that hasn't melted yet, so it's just a giant mess. Everything is basically closed. Thank God I was already supposed to have tomorrow off work. I wouldn't have gotten out of coming in, like everyone else has.

Ah, I know where Sandusky is! It's been a long time, but like most Michiganians, I've been to Cedar point. :D

We had lots of wind...I almost said last month, but it's January now! Enough wind to have the power out from Sunday (or Saturday? I forget) through Thursday in November. And then that bad ice storm last month that killed power from Sunday through Friday. (Where's a "keels over, dead" smiley when you need it? :laughingsmiley: )

I wasn't sure who got rain and who didn't, given that they only show part of the Ohio map. I'm going to guess, given the measurements in the areas within a half hour of us, that we got about 17" since Saturday afternoon. And they said on the 11p news that we could get another 1-3" tonight. Bleh.

Ah, I know where Sandusky is! It's been a long time, but like most Michiganians, I've been to Cedar point. :D

We had lots of wind...I almost said last month, but it's January now! Enough wind to have the power out from Sunday (or Saturday? I forget) through Thursday in November. And then that bad ice storm last month that killed power from Sunday through Friday. (Where's a "keels over, dead" smiley when you need it? :laughingsmiley: )

I wasn't sure who got rain and who didn't, given that they only show part of the Ohio map. I'm going to guess, given the measurements in the areas within a half hour of us, that we got about 17" since Saturday afternoon. And they said on the 11p news that we could get another 1-3" tonight. Bleh.

Yes, that's pretty much all we're known for. Not else much around here — especially this time of year. ;)

It honestly doesn't seem that bad out right now. It was blowing snow bad earlier, but now it's just sort of lightly sleeting over the snow. Which I guess will be slippery... But it's not like there are any visibility issues right now. You can see perfectly fine! Everyone was hying this up like it was gonna be the storm of the century. :rolleyes_anim:

How much snow did you get, Alissa?

====

Update: Here's measurements close to me (10 min or so) from this morning...

...EATON COUNTY...
1 SSW WAVERLY 11.2 M 700 AM 01/06 42.72N 84.63W
NNE GRAND LEDGE 11.2 M 900 PM 01/05 42.76N 84.75W
DIMONDALE 13.3 M 225 AM 01/06 42.65N 84.65W
1 NW GRAND LEDGE 14.4 M 700 AM 01/06 42.77N 84.77W
2 W EATON RAPIDS 15.0 M 700 AM 01/06 42.50N 84.70W
BELLEVUE 15.0 M 1231 AM 01/06 42.44N 85.02W

The measurement in bold is the one closest to me. (Well, either GL, but the one in bold is the most current.) So maybe not 17", but bad! (Maybe seventeen is closer with what we already had on the ground.) And the M means measured, so it's not estimated.

We haven't gotten much snow where I live in Colorado, but we've had the cold temperatures. It's currently about -4 F, with the windchill, it's about -9. Earlier it was -9 with a windchill of -15. We're supposed to get into the 30s today. Yesterday didn't get above 1-2 degrees.

We're not set to get any further snow and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50s. o_O

Last night's news said the windchill warnings extended all the way out to Montana. Brr!

Meanwhile, can we have some of your 50s? Except for the part where that would probably cause flooding...so maybe not. xD

We aren't getting any snow down here in the south, but apparently we're supposed to have some of the coldest temperatures in years. Honestly I would rather have the snow along with it. At least then we could all miss work and lay around for a day or two :P

Even if my last job had been able to keep me on a couple more weeks like they talked about, I doubt I'd be working today. No one in their right minds would be shopping today, unless it's food! (Plus, I just remembered that the township where the store is located has declared a snow emergency, so they'd be closed, anyway!)

12? That's balmy! :laughingsmiley: When I checked the thermometer around 9:45, it was -10!

I'm wondering what day I'll see mail and newspaper. The latter, maybe not 'til Thursday. My mail carrier might be brave enough to come tomorrow, but I don't want him to get frostbite, either, so maybe not 'til Wednesday...

How much snow did you get, Alissa?

It says we got nearly 10 inches, but the problem for us really wasn't the amount of snow... it's the ice and freezing temperatures right after. Literally everything is a sheet of ice. They've canceled school the 5 straight days since they were supposed to be back from winter break.

...ERIE COUNTY...

3 SSE SANDUSKY 9.7 613 PM 1/02 SNOW SPOTTER

SANDUSKY 9.6 700 PM 1/02 SNOW SPOTTER

BERLIN HTS 3SW 8.5 800 AM 1/03 SNOW SPOTTER

5 NNE WAKEMAN 8.0 700 AM 1/03 COCORAHS

Oh, I know what you mean. It's supposed to get up to 19 tomorrow--finally--but I think they've canceled schools for a third day because the roads were still crappy. The wind chill advisory is finally supposed to end at 4:45a.