What's the likelihood I'll get my old account back?

Shenandoe

I have an old Neopets account, probably created around 2001 or 2002. I continued to play periodically but not seriously until about 2008, when I logged in to find my account frozen with this message: "Due to potentially suspicious activity on this username, it has been frozen for the owner's protection." Since I mostly just played games, I didn't do anything about it at the time. Fast forward three years, and I decide to try to get it unfrozen. I submitted a ticket and then after no response, another about a year later. I found information elsewhere suggesting I will probably never get my account back owing to "the purge"; however, I can still log in (getting the same frozen message), and I can look up my old pet (whose owner has been frozen, of course, but he's there).

A few days ago, I finally got a reply from Neopets, a year after submitting the (second) ticket. The message reads:

"After reviewing your ticket, it appears your account has been inactive for quite some time and unfortunately our system doesn’t keep account records for over 1 year. Please let us know if you still wish to gain access to your account. We will then begin the process of verifying account information. You can reply to this email and we will gladly do our best to assist you."

I replied, saying yes I'd like access to my old account. Since the original ticket took about 13 months to get a reply, I'm not sure how long I'll be waiting this time, leading me here to see if anybody has any thoughts in the meantime.

Does anyone know if getting my account back is actually an option? On another board in the past, people seemed sure that the account was made inactive during the purge, and that I'd probably never hear back from Neopets -- I accepted that and made a new account. The message is confusing since it says they don't keep account records (I don't really understand what this means within the context of my question), but then says we can move forward with verifying account information. I can't tell if that's contradictory information, or if I'm just confused.

Anybody with a little more understanding of how this might work have some insight for me?

I found you have to keep hounding them to get a response from them. Mine was iced because someone hacked me. It took them 2 months to get back to me and I wasn't allowed to even submit a ticket. If you email the support team directly with the situation, it may speed the process up as long as you have the correct account info such as the email and the birthday on the account.

I'm in a similar situation, hope to get mine back too! I got frozen feb. of 2012 and have refused to even use neopets, because I was so mad they wouldn't even get back to me after 12 years using the site. They must be sending out a lot of those, because I got the exact same email 2 days ago.

Just found this about account purges on jellyneo:

"When an account is deleted, it effectively vanishes from the site. Any pets, items, Neopoints, and petpages associated with it disappear."

So maybe the fact that you can still see your pet means there's still a chance. I'm not really sure what they mean by not keeping account records, it might just mean they can't see what happened with your account or why it was frozen.

Let me know what happens! I'm just hoping these aren't just junk emails they'll never get back to.