Can we talk about the Auction House?

Varietypack

I've been having trouble finding advice and hints about successfully buying things that are up for auction. Currently I really want a Draik Transmogrification Potion but I don't know the correct way to bid on it. Right now most of the auctions for that item are atleast 2-8 hours long. Should I wait till the end of that time period to make a bid or is it a good idea to put in a starting bid right away? Do I want to start with a minimum bid or should I go for a higher bid and even raise it up to what the seller is asking for?

As you can see I have a lot of questions and I thought it would be nice to start something on the boards for not only my questions but for other people's questions about the auction house?

Any takers?

From what I've seen, high price items like that, including the draik transmorg potion (I've been watching it myself though I'm only like a 1/8 of the way there) are priced at several million as base, with an increment of several million.

So like, say an item is 8mil, starting will be 5mil with a 3mil minimum increment, meaning that by design unless you want to grossly overpay for the item, there will only be one bid. As such, on these it doesn't really matter when you bid as long as you are the first, because nobody will bid after you. If the increment is something more proper, I suggest waiting until its a few minutes from ending, because if you get into a bidding war with someone it will only drive up the price the longer it goes on.

Note I've never really done high price auctions, but that's my philosophy for averaged priced ones, as well as, that I've seen, most transmorg potions are in category number one, so there is no bidding war.

Anyways my humble opinion.

And I think you're right, we could use an auctions guide of some sort. I tried looking for one but couldn't find it. It looks kinda self explanatory and obvious at first glance, but I'm sure people have methods and strategies for sniping and pricing, and it would be nice to get a sort of intro on it.