Kris Kringle/Secret Santa

domsim

Soo I've finally been initiated into my family's kris kringle giving this year, and I have a $50 limit to buy for the boyfriend of a relative (so I don't know him super well), but he's early 30's and your average Aussie blokey bloke. All I can think of is a bottle of scotch/whiskey or something?

Do you guys have any suggestions?? What have you given in the past for KK/SS? Or what have you received that you liked? Btw the family's not really into jokey gifts, so probably avoid those, looking for something nice-ish??

Last year, I did Secret Santa, and my person was a college-age guy. I ended up giving him a quality set of headphones--something that is useful while still fun, and played to his musical tastes.

Last year, I did Secret Santa, and my person was a college-age guy. I ended up giving him a quality set of headphones--something that is useful while still fun, and played to his musical tastes.

That's not a bad idea actually...not sure if he's particularly into music but you know, who isn't? Did you get those bulky type of headphones? I always imagined them to be really expensive :(

God, get him a gift-card :D Easiest of all

Ahh definitely considered that one, and it's one of those things that people actually like because they'll use it, but I feel like everyone will think it's a bit of a cop out :P

That's not a bad idea actually...not sure if he's particularly into music but you know, who isn't? Did you get those bulky type of headphones? I always imagined them to be really expensive :(

Ahh definitely considered that one, and it's one of those things that people actually like because they'll use it, but I feel like everyone will think it's a bit of a cop out :P

Well, yah, I think I'm a bit obsessed with coming up with a perfect gift. So if I don't know the person well enough, I would rather let them choose their own than guessing the wrong choice. But for early 30, here are some more:

- Restaurant reservations

- Movie tickets

- Electronic devices / tools (look at Best Buy for some ideas). Like if he has an Ipad, get him an stylus pen

- Watch

- Fountain pen if he is obsessed with some forms of writing

- A game if he is a gamer

- Couppa of movies or Netflix / Amazon .... subscriptions for a month / year

- Books or a few ebooks if he's a nerd

I got many customized ideas but I don't know your friend at all, so that's all I can think of at the moment

I got many customized ideas but I don't know your friend at all, so that's all I can think of at the moment

Hehe that's my problem! The only time I ever see him is at christmas and even then I only *might* have a conversation with him, and if I do it's just generic 'oh doesn't the christmas tree look great' kind of conversation, so really I know him about as well as you do! Just from seeing him though with the family, he seems like a standard beer drinking kind of guy. It'd be great if I knew if he had an ipad etc to get him accessories but I just don't know :/ so really going to have to go with a generic 'everyone will like it' kind of gift, that seems thoughtful...hrmm. restaurant reservations probably fits well with that...can you pre-pay restaurants for a dinner??

Well, for food, you can try to buy coupons from places such as "groupon.com". I'm not sure groupon available in Australia, but I'm sure there will be similar service.

However, dinner would not fit everyone tho .... Do you know your relative any better? You can try to ask around tho.

After all, if he's not that important. Don't stress your self. You can always get him like a pack of Bud Light. Whether he likes it or not, it's not your problem

Well, for food, you can try to buy coupons from places such as "groupon.com". I'm not sure groupon available in Australia, but I'm sure there will be similar service.

However, dinner would not fit everyone tho .... Do you know your relative any better? You can try to ask around tho.

After all, if he's not that important. Don't stress your self. You can always get him like a pack of Bud Light. Whether he likes it or not, it's not your problem

Not sure about coupons, I've always felt ehhh when giving them to people. But yes, I think I'm over stressing since it's my first one! So simple might just be the solution :)

How about asking the relative he's a boyfriend of what he'd like?

Assuming that's not considered cheating of course...

Or alternatively, sometimes when I've done Secret Santa I've swapped with someone else :P

Weeelll when I said boyfriend I was just making it simple. He's actually an ex-boyfriend, but they had kids together and they broke up a few months ago so I think he's just coming because he wants to be with his kids, which means a) no one's really able to help me (feel a bit awkward asking my cousin) and b ) no one wants to switch with me!! Which is why I came here desperate for ideas :P

A bottle of whiskey sounds good to me, if that's something he'd like. What's your budget for this?

Went shopping today and found nothing except chocolate so this may be looking like the best bet. The limit is $50 but I don't mind going a little bit over.