Question about the Bank and Interest

drpepper700

Okay, so this may be a stupid question, but I signed up just to ask it because it's been bothering me. It's kind of a long story, but I'm really confused about it.

I made my neopets account almost 2 years ago. I really liked it and played it a lot. I didn't post on the boards or talk to anyone, just bought stuff for my pet(s) and mostly played games. My goal was to buy a cloud paint brush which took me a week or so I guess. In the middle of saving for a baby paintbrush (I wasn't very close, I remember), I lost interest in favor of Christmas presents or something. :santa:

So I forgot Neopets even existed until 3 days ago. I logged in, fed my starving pets, and started playing the old games. I only had about 2000 points (as expected) on me but when I checked the bank... 60,000,000. My mouth literally fell open. My first thought was, "I collected all this interest while I was away!!!!" :woot:

but then I remembered... don't you have to collect that to get it?? That's what it says everywhere. I got a little scared that I may have gotten hacked or something, even though that doesn't make a lot of sense for a hacker to do. I'm SOOOO happy with the money, but I don't really understand, maybe I should just accept the riches but I'm mostly afraid that the neopets staff will think I'm a hacker or something and freeze my account.

So am I just paranoid, or do you not collect interest while your away? Sorry if this is stupid...

You do not collect interest when you're away. I recommend you change your email address, password and PIN (and put the pin on everything, immediately) right now. Especially if you really do not remember having that much (and I know I never had that much, so yeah ;P )

Maybe someone used your account as a storage. Definitely do the things I mentioned just now.

Another thing, I recommend that you don't post this on many other places. People may try to get into your account because they read that. It's just like you're waving your bills of money in real life, and someone might try to steal your wallet.

OK, thank you so much for telling me. :sick02:

I changed the password yesterday, and I KNOW I didn't have that much I didn't think I had more then about 15,000.

I didnt plan on posting it anywhere else, I was reluctant to post it here but I had to find out for sure. I removed my neopets username from my account on here too.

I don't get how it happened, I had never talked to one person on there, it's really weird.

That's okay. There are many ways people may have gotten into your account. A couple of years ago there were cookie trackers (who copied your cookies, your login data pretty much, so they could use it on their own pc and play until you logged out), another thing that may have happened is that someone may have gotten into your emailaddress, if you stopped using that one.

Then there are people who use programs/lists of data to figure out passwords, that can happen to anyone and has happened to me once.

Just make sure you make your account as safe as possible, and have fun with the money! :)

(Also, you're free to stay on TDN if you wish, welcome!)

Yeah I was just confused mostly because when I went to the neopets' page about keeping your account secure it said no one had ever hacked neopets and that I could only be hacked if I gave my password to someone! I guess it was naive of me to be reassured by that...

Yeah I was just confused mostly because when I went to the neopets' page about keeping your account secure it said no one had ever hacked neopets and that I could only be hacked if I gave my password to someone! I guess it was naive of me to be reassured by that...

I think they are right when they say nobody has ever hacked neopets, but people still find ways to sneak into your account.

No need to be all paranoid now though! It can happen to anyone, but if you secure your account well it probably won't harm your account.

Personally, I would contact neopets and tell them what has happened.

If they find out otherwise they may freeze the account and you'll lose everything

It may be that someone else somehow got access to your account by accident, and has been using it thinking it was theirs. They will be distraught that they've lost all their money...

If someone had hacked your account, the first thing they would do is change your password. No one would be stupid enough to store 60 million in an account they knew someone else had the password for.

I don't really get it either, though as I said I left it for 10 or so months unattended... but it seems almost impossible that someone would have mixed up our accounts, somehow known my password, and then seen my neopets and never known it wasn't theirs?? I mean neither one makes sense I have no idea what happened.

I thought about contacting neopets but I wasn't completely sure how... I could probably find how to but I'm a little scared they won't believe me. :( I mean it sounds pretty ridiculous. One of the things that worried me most about all this is that I'd get frozen. I don't think whoever was using the account still is, because I went 24 full hours before I changed the password. (Stupid, I know.)