Views on the Armenian Genocide

kikaown

Should the US and Turkey formally recognize the Armenian Genocide as the fault of Turkey?

Turkey has denied responsibility since 1920, and this is one of the reasons it has been denied admittance into the EU. The government maintains that the Armenians brought it upon themselves by fighting with the Russians. Talking about the Armenian Genocide is a serious offense in Turkey, and may result in years in prison. Many leading journalists have been inexplicably killed after publishing articles about it.

The US Congress has created multiple proposals during the last few presidencies to recognize it, but all were shot down by the president (first Bush Sr, then Clinton, then Bush Jr.). Each time was because Turkey threatened to destroy all American military bases in its territory. In the most recent time, Turkey threatened to deny access to Iraq through its territory.

Although the Armenian community has been pressuring Turkey for years to acknowledge the Genocide, not much will be accomplished through it. It is like Iran's denial of the Holocaust. If they change, nothing will be affected, but its the right thing to do.

For those who need background information, the Armenian genocide happened in the Ottoman Empire during WWI. The Turks accused the Armenians of treason and deported millions to the Syrian Desert, resulting in the death of 75% of Armenians worldwide.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. I guess it boils down to whether or not we want to avoid another armed conflict - on top of Iran and Iraq.

American and Middle East. Not Friends.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Chipmonker) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Ehhh...this post is getting a little old. PM me to have it reopened.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.