Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do

Peter Pan

Hello all. Ok, this isn't exactly to start a debate here, but I couldn't find any other forum in which this would fit. Anyways, a friend of mine is participating in a declamation/debate contest and it's only 2 days away and she still hasn't written a word (a huge laze, I know). And well, I thought I'd help her out, but my brain is kind of having trouble thinking of anything at the moment. So, I thought I would ask for your help.

Well, the topic is : ''Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do'' And she will be speaking in favor of the topic. I'd be grateful if you guys can provide some help in the form of inspirational ideas. Thanks a lot!

I would look at how people deal with some extraordinarily tough situations- wars, etc. I think that the British reaction to the Blitz during the Second World War is an excellent example of tough people lasting.

When I was at the Britian at War museum a couple of years ago, I got a photo of a picture that was in a newspaper, I believe, of a couple of shop keepers setting up their shop after the windows had been blown out.

33ymli9.jpg

If that's not tough people lasting through a tough situation, I don't know what is.

But, as people have always lasted through wars, conflicts, famines, epidemics, revolutions, and so on, any of them would work well.

People go through tough times. Those that give up die. i.e. suicide. The tough people are the ones that survive in the end. Hence natural selection. -cough for people who believe in it cough-

I realise this isn't supposed to be a debate but I resent this comment and have to say something. It's not 'natural selection' when people choose to commit suicide, that's ridiculous. - and it's not about 'giving up' either. Natural selection is a part of evolution. When a species no longer can adapt to it's environment, it's offspring and the offspring that they have will evolve different traits to be able to cope with the change, or to further the versatility of the species - hence how we humans evolved. Natural selection is what it says on the tin, natural selection.

To keep on topic, I think Rebecca makes an excellent point.

I Googled the topic and found this, but I'm not sure how helpful it is. I think Rebecca is on the right track - look at historical examples for classic cases of tough people outlasting tough times. I'm actually not sure how you'd argue against the topic, though. :laughingsmiley:

People go through tough times. Those that give up die. i.e. suicide. The tough people are the ones that survive in the end. Hence natural selection. -cough for people who believe in it cough-

Sometimes people succumb to war, famine, disease, etc., not just suicide. I guess toughness could be physical or mental/emotional resilience, but I think the former (e.g. war) are better examples of both at the same time.

I'd be wary of using natural selection in this type of argument (although I'm not sure what you mean by "believe in it"). Natural selection is based on reproductive success, so if someone has kids before they die, it's not really natural selection. I'm sure it still acts upon humans to some degree, but not in this example for the most part.