Yay for new experiences!

cleomiele

Today I passed my driving test and got my license (FINALLY), and I'm starting my first semester at university on Wednesday to study music! Yay!~ I often get kind of anxious about big changes in routines, my life in general, etc., but I think I'm really excited to finally start being more independent and, more importantly, to study what I love. I'm trying to embrace the next chapter of my young life and all that it entails! :laughingsmiley:

Aside from this being a "yay life!" post, does anyone have any tips or suggestions for making the transition to university a successful and enjoyable one? :) I'm living at home this year since I'm close to the university already, so I'm a bit worried about finding ways to get involved on campus, make new friends, establish good study habits, and all of that good stuff. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations and good luck! :)

My family moved when I graduated and so I actually spent my first year of university living at home in a city where I didn't know a single person! Uni is a really good opportunity for a "fresh start." It's pretty easy to get involved as there's probably a club for anything you could imagine - if you're interested in music, I'm sure there are tons of different ensembles you could join for fun, which is also a great way to make friends. :) I personally made my best friends because we ended up as an assigned lab group and found that we had almost all of our classes together, so we saw each other every day - simple as that.

Study habits are the hardest, since profs don't hound you to get things done. "Manage your time" and "don't procrastinate" are easier said than done. :laughingsmiley:

Congrats! That is super awesome. :D

Unfortunately, when I was at uni I didn't become involved at all, so I will not even try to give you advice on that front, LOL.

As for study habits, all I can recommend is that you make a point of doing SOMETHING every day. If you don't have any assignments due, study what you learned in class. Do something related to your coursework for at least 20 minutes a day, and make sure you take breaks during your study sessions. A ten minute break after working for 20 minutes, or a 15 minute break after working for 45. Whatever is best for you. Set timers for yourself, because nothing will hurt your enthusiasm for school more than burning yourself out after the first month. :)

That's great! I also have my driving test in a couple of weeks, though the UK is one of the hardest places in the world to pass (less than 20% chance of passing first time, 30% second time ect) Do you have a car sorted out?

Good luck at Uni, I'm starting next year as well, incredibly daunting.

Congratulations and good luck! :)

My family moved when I graduated and so I actually spent my first year of university living at home in a city where I didn't know a single person! Uni is a really good opportunity for a "fresh start." It's pretty easy to get involved as there's probably a club for anything you could imagine - if you're interested in music, I'm sure there are tons of different ensembles you could join for fun, which is also a great way to make friends. :) I personally made my best friends because we ended up as an assigned lab group and found that we had almost all of our classes together, so we saw each other every day - simple as that.

Study habits are the hardest, since profs don't hound you to get things done. "Manage your time" and "don't procrastinate" are easier said than done. :laughingsmiley:

I know for sure that I'm joining the orchestra, so there's that! Your scenario gives me hope that I'll become close with my musical peers as well :) As far as study habits, that's what I worry about--having to set deadlines for myself instead of seeing them or hearing them every day in class. Maybe I'll write those two mantras somewhere that I will see them every day to remind myself :laughingsmiley: or put them on post-it notes around my room...

Congrats! That is super awesome. :D

Unfortunately, when I was at uni I didn't become involved at all, so I will not even try to give you advice on that front, LOL.

As for study habits, all I can recommend is that you make a point of doing SOMETHING every day. If you don't have any assignments due, study what you learned in class. Do something related to your coursework for at least 20 minutes a day, and make sure you take breaks during your study sessions. A ten minute break after working for 20 minutes, or a 15 minute break after working for 45. Whatever is best for you. Set timers for yourself, because nothing will hurt your enthusiasm for school more than burning yourself out after the first month. :)

That's a great idea, especially the part about reviewing even if you don't have any pressing assignments. I purposely put some decent chunks of time between a few of my classes to give me an incentive to study or practice before class instead of going home to be unproductive or get on neo or something :laughingsmiley:

That's great! I also have my driving test in a couple of weeks, though the UK is one of the hardest places in the world to pass (less than 20% chance of passing first time, 30% second time ect) Do you have a car sorted out?

Good luck at Uni, I'm starting next year as well, incredibly daunting.

That sounds quite intimidating :sad01_anim: good luck passing the test! Thankfully I'm going to inherit, I suppose, my mother's car, as it's time for her to get a new one and I don't mind having an old vehicle as long as it gets me where I need to go ;) saves me money, in any case, so the car itself is one less thing to worry about. I wish you luck at uni next year!