New Moderation Technique

Matt

It's been on trial for about a week now, and we'd love your feedback!

Previously, posts were edited in the rather vague "Mod Edit: _____" method. It didn't really hold much water. But, if you've been around the forums for the past week, you would have seen something more like this:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Matt) because of a violation of the forum rules.

The threadmaker is amazing.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

It comes in a variety of different shapes and colours for pinning topics, editing topics, moving topics, closing topics and alike. If you were unfortunate enough to recieve a verbal warning, you would have seen that format change too.

We would like some feedback on our newly aquired system, if it's not too much trouble. :) Is it more helpful than the previous Mod Edit method we had? Is it more confusing? Is it better to see what's happened at a glance of the colour? Are there just too many colours to know what they mean? Basically, we'd love your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

I think this one and the last ones are just as good, mainly because

The last one was "Mod Edit: (Rule Broken)" so as soon as you saw it, you instantly knew that you broke a rule, and what rule you broke, Only bad point sometimes that when scorrling the screen, it can be hard to miss

But this new one is more clearly etc

"This post has been edited by a member of staff (Matt) because of a violation of the forum rules.

The threadmaker is amazing.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules."

It shows you have broken the rules also, but it also has the link to the rules which would be very helpful to make sure it doesn't happen again, because i think most people who break the rules, never even check them again (and some people don't check them at all)

Only downside i feel is that the rule broken isn't as clearer, normally you would just read the bold statement because that normally the main point, But on this the rule you broken is in the middle bit, i think what could be used to improve it is to somewhat comibine the middle bit with the top, so it stands out more or put the middle bit also bold red. (if that made sense :P )

Also with the new look, you would scroll down the pasge and see "oo a red paragraph, somethings wrong"

But it deffinetly look more formal

Which was definately tne intention, to make it more formal; Matt created a very spiffy Warnings Creator for us, which generates the coding automagically for us once we've filled out a form =]

Guest Lightning Strike

In my opinion, I think this new moderation technique is very eye-catching, due to it explaining better the reason of your violation of the rules, etc. and providing a handy link to review the forum rules and/or inbox for PMs sent by Staff in case they need to contact the poster.

It certainly is more neat and organized, for which the colors should mean different reasons. However, I would like to ask if you could post what each color means, so in the future we know what they stand for, knowing immediately what kind of edit a staff member has applied. I think it would also clarify many doubts regarding our members, seeing as not everyone knows what the colors mean yet. Thanks.

I think the main thing I saw when I saw it for the first time, was the fact that it shows authority, not just some random person that made their font red and edited your post. Knowing which staff member "took action" is a good thing I think, it is good for the person it is against, because they can contact them to get further details.

On reguards to what Lightning Strike said (I think that is HBK? sorry if I'm wrong) about the different colors. I don't think that us (forum members) should know what the color codes are for, I mean, then we would know what different action that has been taken against members and I don't think that is intended for us to know. Now I understand that once it is out, it's out, so there really isn't anyway to control it, that I can think of.

I think that is all, but overall, it gets an A++ from me! Great change and great idea, whoever it was.

EDIT: Matt, posted right after me, since the colors don't mean anything, ^^ that was taken care of. ^_^

The colours don't mean anything. It's merely a quick way to both seperate the different warnings and to catch your eye. But since you asked so nicely... :)

Red - General Edit / Locked Topic

Green - Pinned Topic

Purple - Moved Topic

Orange - Locked Topic (Non Serious. Topic merely finished)

Guest Lightning Strike
The colours don't mean anything. It's merely a quick way to both seperate the different warnings and to catch your eye. But since you asked so nicely... :)

Red - General Edit / Locked Topic

Green - Pinned Topic

Purple - Moved Topic

Orange - Locked Topic (Non Serious. Topic merely finished)

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind. :D

I like it. The only thing wrong is that it is harder to see why the topic was edited. You should make the middle line more visible, or move it to the top.

And red doesn't always mean bad. A closed topic can just be because the question was answered

Yea but its typically orange. I thought these have been the colors for a while.

yes it does look formal. But we dont wanna think of it as Your bad. HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, it says who did it, but most of the time we just create a new post with it in on the end anyway. :P

Yes, locked topics because the topic had been answered appears as a calm orange, while if we find out you're talking about, I don't know, Cheerios on a topic about fishing, we'd shove a red locked topic on there. Not so friendly.

I really enjoyed it. But when you closed my topics typically orange sometimes red do you always have to put check your user inbox, because i never get a message. no that im complaining. It that i think im going to get a message but i dont.

edit:No i meant the moderators don't want the people who experience it to think they are bad.

I think spelt with the best ability. Because these forums like grammar and other english stuff like that.