Volunteering at a Day care

April

I'm just looking for some input. I'm applying for an ECE (Early Childhood Education) program and one of the requirements is to work for 60 hours in a day care or other childhood facility.

I'm a little nervous. Having never had a job before. I've called a few places and put questions. One manager is calling me back and such.

I'm just wondering, has anyone volunteered at a day care before? I want to know what to expect.

I'm super freaked out. I'm really shy and this is a huge step for me.

Also any other advice and pointers would be great.

And I'm unsure, do you know if some places are open to student volunteers? This is all new to me and I don't have any one to help out with the applying process. I did homeschooling and I don't speak with my parents nor anyone else that could help. It's all so overwhelming.

I've worked at two nursary schools, and it's seriously so much fun!! I'm quite a shy person as well but being around children and playing games with them took that shyness away completely :)

Hmmm pointers.. well I gots a couple of things they really encouraged us to do, such as asking the children questions that are open ended e.g what are your favourite stories about? What's your favourite colour?; try to spend time with as many children as possible (like, don't just pick your favourite and mother them :P), act as enthusiastic as possible about everything - which is so easy cause it's fun!! Oh and make sure you tidy up activities you're a part of so things don't get too messy :D

It's pretty much just a case of keeping the kids entertained (push the learning games and things like reading) :) Another thing I liked to do was find the kid that's left out (there's always one unfortunately :/) and try and get them involved in an activity with the other children to build confidence ^_^

About applying - I'm not really sure how it would work in your area, I found an ad in my local paper for one of the jobs and the other was work experience when I was at my school. You could try the paper? Also maybe get on google maps and check for nursaries in your area and write a cover letter to drop in? If they like you you'll probably have a day where they see how you are with the kids and you'll go from there. Wear comfy shoes XD

Good luck love, and don't be nervous - you'll be great!! :D

I babysit a lot, and I've volunteered at a nursery school before. Plus I actually work with children now, not quite in the same setting, but similar. And in May, I start a position volunteering helping children with developmental disabilities. Kids are great for encouraging you to come out of your shell.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO HAVE FUN.

The children aren't going to judge you- that is a super important point. I'm very nervous and concerned about making myself look stupid- but when you think about it, kids don't care, they like that, it makes them comfortable with you, and they'll usually think you're hilarious! Wear clothing you don't mind getting a little bit dirty because chances are there will be finger painting and crafts (not to the interview of course- dress your best for that!). Don't be afraid to talk to the children, and don't baby them, treat them like little adults for the most part, because a lot of children seem to appreciate that. Plus, kids definitely know what's going on! As Saxen said, encourage learning games and things like reading- I find most children really really like reading!

I hope that's of some help! :)

Thanks both of you! It makes me feel a bit more confident. :)

I'm stoked to take the University courses but wasn't expecting to need to volunteer first. I was hoping the courses would help make me more comfortable before dealing with children. XD

Thanks for your input. It definitely does make me feel a bit better.

Kids are awesome. :D

Rayray is right, the best thing about kids, are that they don't judge you. And EVERY kid is a kid, so even with the shy ones, try making the effort to draw them out. They'll eventually respond, and when they do, they're just too cute! :) I don't really have much advice to give you, but all the best! xD Oh, and, do make yourself approachable, I always find myself, while responding to the more open ones, also coaxing the quieter ones out, so that they can have as much fun as the rest, too!

At the end of it, you'll never want to leave.