I'd love to be an optimist, but...

eightbitdimwit

I know if I'm a pessimist I'll catch more problems and faster. I only found out about this latest set of college holdups because I wouldn't settle for "It'll be fine!" until I was in the classes.

I'm so sick of it. I feel like, crazy as it is, the world is constantly trying to wreck things for me and if I don't watch everyone and everything like a hawk, things will derail. I don't want to be so overbearing because I dislike the trait, but would I have caught any of these problems if I wasn't? This is the third thing that's needed fixing this month just because of a change in my major, and this next semester starts in just a few weeks.

It's two in the morning and I can't sleep because I'm so paranoid of what other ridiculous hidden problems might stand between me and just going to school.

I have the same thing, hun. I have to be in control of everything, and if I'm not it feels like things are going to fall apart (and they usually do!).

Have you tried stretching/yoga/meditation to try and calm down your anxiousness? There's also hippie teas and stuff that are supposed to do the same thing. When your anxious tiring yourself out during the day is very important, when I don't go out I stay up all night, at least until 12pm the following day D:

Also, Malt helps you sleep apparently- do you have like, Ovaltine or Horlicks over there?

To me, optimism is more looking on the bright side of things than expecting everything to fall into your lap perfectly.

I always expect problems. And while worrying yourself sick about what could happen isn't good for you, it seems like knowing what problems could arise and being prepared for them helped you in this case. You're being on top of things.

The only thing I can recommend besides the relaxation techniques is this:

Since you're the type of person who is on top of things, be on top of this. Make a list. Two columns: 1) What could go wrong and how you could recognize it if it does, and 2) What you will do IF they go wrong. Knowing that you have a solution, I feel, will help you somewhat.

Then, once things have gone wrong, see if you can find a single positive about it. I know it's hard.

Thought this was pretty interesting as I am what they call an 'optimist' but I think its just because I know that in general looking on the lighter side makes me worry less, feel better, more happy etc but In your case I think its having so seperate the things that you can do something about and the things you cant and looking positively on the things you cant change if you know what I mean? The list idea is good too, instead of it going around in your mind its there in front of you :) Its horrible when you cant sleep so I definately reccomend all thos relaxation techniques because I think lack of sleep can really make you feel terrible, irratible and always seems to have a negative effect on your mood!

Know this is a bit of late reply but oh well! :evo:

Something similar to me happened at the end of this past summer bc of school anxiety too. And I got IBS less than half way through the semester bc I was freaking out all the time, sleeping poorly, and drinking tons of coffee bc I was sleepy all the time. All of that combined gave me IBS that really only comes out when I start to get stressed and it SUCKS! bc then I have to start doing pregnant lady breathing techniques to calm myself. So from one stresser-outer to another, find ways to calm down before you too start having tummy issues bc of it. =/