Weapon Comparision: Sword of Tawre Vs. Kelpbeards Trident

Yung

The very first thing to take note of is the fact that both of these weapons does the same exact amount of icons. This difference comes into play when looking at the icons themselves.

Consistency:

Sword of Tawre - 15 WATER icons, 2 PHYSICAL icons. + 7 PHYSICAL icons.

Kelpbeards Trident - 12 WATER icons, 5 PHYSICAL icons. + 7 WATER icons.

So in retrospect we have the Sword of Tawre which more have 15 WATER icons and 9 PHYSICAL icons, compared to Kelpbeards Trident at 19 WATER icons and 5 PHYSICAL icons.

These stats considered... then we have a price difference, Sword of Tawre costs consistently around 10.8mil, where as Kelpbeards Trident is gonna run only 7.9mil. So we are looking at almost 3mil difference in price range here. So why even bother with the Sword of Tawre? Here is why... the countermeasures.

Anyone in 2p who knows you are sporting water icons is more than likely going to bring in a Faerie Tabard and this little number literally kills Kelpbeards Trident in one swift blow blocking not just some but all of Kelpbeards Trident attack. The Faerie Tabard will block ALL water icons as well as 5 Physical icons. This is detrimental to the difference in these weapons as the Sword of Tawre can slip 4 icons past the Faerie Tabard. This may not seem like very much but it is literally better than the nothing that you would have been left with had you chosen Kelpbeards Trident.

The other major defenses to watch out for are the U-Bend of Great Justice and just because it is not likely your opponent is carrying this does NOT mean to take it as a light threat because this bad boy reflects 80-100% of water icons right back. It doesn't block them, but clearly there are other pieces of equipment that does... couple this with the Enchanted Kiko Squeeze Toy and you have yourself a complete lock down of water icons, blocking and reflecting every water icon thrown your way.

If your opponent has not prepared for water defense then the Kelpsbeard Trident with the more dominant water icons is easier to slip by without being blocked. The physical icons of the Sword of Tawre are easier to block than the water icons as there are hundreds of equipment choices that allow for blocking physical. Even some species specific moves are good at this. This is where the Kelpbeards Trident will shine bright over the Sword of Tawre.

All in all these are both very consistent weapons, and at those price tags I must favor the Kelpbeards Trident. Personal preference between these two weapons was and shall remain the Sword of Tawre for better chance of surviving a water lock down on the field.

I've heard some boards say that the Sword does more icons, though I tested it personally and found it was not the case.

KBT is just much cheaper and carrying mass water is always a lot of fun. ;)

Personally, I would go with KBT until the rest of your set is up to par, and then decide.

All I was saying is that it is my personal preference because it isn't completely killed by the Faerie Tabard and less affected by the big boy water blocker/reflectors.

All I was saying is that it is my personal preference because it isn't completely killed by the Faerie Tabard and less affected by the big boy water blocker/reflectors.

LOL I quite sure you'll see the HNMS more often than any of the reflectors or Ftab

My postings here was to show that the Sword of Tawre is not a complete waste and that it CAN punch through some holes that Kelpbeards Trident cannot.

I think you could have just conducted a poll and not an "analysis" of the weapons. The thing is, more people, like me, prefer the KBT over the Sword of Tawre because not only is it cheaper, but it does more icons (based on my personal tests). The Power to Price rating would clearly be more favorable to the KBT.

Yes of course Power to Price is clearly in favor of the Kelpbeards Trident and please do not misunderstand me. I am not bashing it at all. Kelpbeards Trident should definitely be purchased first. This is merely to show that there is a slight edge to the Sword of Tawre compared to Kelpbeards Trident. The main appeal is that the Sword of Tawre doesn't get killed by Faerie Tabard where as Kelpbeards Trident does.