Glasses

neeker2

Well, I had to get glasses. I have (I think) 20/70 vision. (I'm nearsighted). I don't really like having to wear them..and the fact everything is all of a sudden so much clearer makes that worse. And I have no idea about contacts, and I won't get them until I am responsible with my glasses. I've done some looking into and about Lasik Eye Surgery, but I have to be 18 or 20 and over.

Awww, it sounds like you're not too happy about it...

I was in denial for YEARS about how bad my vision was before I finally went to see an optha-ma-something-or-other. But isn't it nice to see things clearly? And, if you were like me, you were probably having trouble seeing stuff in school, glasses must make it so much easier! My greatest joy in getting glasses was to be able to sit at the back of the class again and STILL be able to read the acetates/power-points/board! :P

Wearing them gets easier. At some point, you just forget they're even there. I put them on when I wake up and take them off when I go to bed automatically now. You'll get used to them *hugs* (It's really not so bad ^_^)

I'm sorry you're not happy about getting glasses hun :( I'm sure you'll get used to them in time though, and seeing better will (I'm sure) make things more comfortable in the long run ^^

I'm shortsighted, I really need glasses but they look bizarre on me. I'm content with squinting and headaches for the moment until I somehow get a new face :P lol

Hope you feel better about them soon x

It's really not so bad having glasses. I have them as well and I've actually grown to like them, makes me look smart and cool =P When you start to look around you'll realize that almost everyone has them xD I'm near-sighted as well like most all people heh

glasses have their advantages/disadvantages, i have to wear mine all the time, seriously blind without them, but at least didn't have to copy anyones notes anymore because i couldn't see, and once you remember to put them on all the time its alot easier.

i broke 2 pairs of glasses in 4 months when i first got them, sat on one, stepped on the other.

contacts are totally different, and i personally don't wear them, like getting new glasses, contacts give me a headache and i can never be bothered getting them in. plus i've heard all the horror stories so urgh. not putting them in. but they are useful. for instance, when you go to the pool, you won't be blind! or in chem class, you don't have to wear thoose stupd safety glasses on top of your glasses. i would suggest getting used to needing glasses before getting conttacts, contacts require very caareful care, you don't want to scratch your cornea or get an infections, so hygiene schedule is very important even with disposibles. its enough of a routine to remember to put glasses on in the first thing in the morning.

lasik is very expensive, and they don't recommend that until your perscription is stable. i just get my eyes tested and get my glassses, so dunno how bad 20/70 vision is, but i've had friends actually grow out of needing glasses, so wear them, there is much more you can do with them, you will be allowed to drive, can read, sit where you like in class, don't have to squint at signs, and recognise friends from further away!

I've had glasses since I was 7 for myopia. My degree is pretty high now. It's annoying at first that I have to have it because it's kind of inconvenient especially for a swimmer like me but I got used to it anyway.

Contacts? I've heard horror stories about them getting stuck in people's eyeballs so it's a no-no for me. :/

Lasik is not only expensive, but it has its risks like contacts as well. Also, having read some accounts of people who had undergone the surgery, the procedure seems pretty scary as you're conscious while the doc does his thing. x_x

I had to get glasses when I was 10. I think I got contacts when I was 15-16.

When you're ready for contacts, go try a pair. (I think your doctor would fit you for them and see how you do with them.) Don't get discouraged if you can't handle them. The first time I tried them, I couldn't deal with it, my eyes wouldn't stop watering and burning, so I gave up. I tried again a year later, and I could wear them with no issues.

Contacts? I've heard horror stories about them getting stuck in people's eyeballs so it's a no-no for me. :/

Lasik is not only expensive, but it has its risks like contacts as well. Also, having read some accounts of people who had undergone the surgery, the procedure seems pretty scary as you're conscious while the doc does his thing. x_x

I've been wearing contacts for nearly 10 years now, and I've never had any sort of issue with them. They've always been easy to get in and out, and comfortable. :)

As for the Lasik, my mom had it done on both eyes 15 years ago, and she did great with it (She'd gotten to the point where she could no longer wear contacts and the lenses in her glasses were insanely thick and heavy frames to support them, so they gave her migraines.) She's only had to start wearing reading glasses in the last year. She also didn't feel anything, and even with being awake, she wasn't really aware of what was going on and didn't remember it later.

I've looked at getting lasik myself, because I'd love to not have to mess with glasses or contacts, but my eyes haven't stayed stable long enough. They want your vision to have not changed for a certain amount of time.

regarding contacts getting stuck behind eyeballs, thats unlikely and most likely a urban myth. the eyeball isn't really round but is slightly egg shaped, also the actual lens in your eye creates a bulge that the contact sits on, its why when you put contact in and blink a few times they center themselves. so its sort of like a freshly cracked egg with the yolk sitting higher than the white, the contact just fits on top of the yolk like a cap and doesn't move.

also the orbital muscles fit pretty tightly around your eye and its unlikely something would slip between them.

contacts are getting better all the time, lighter, more flexible and breathable. mine had to be specially fitted and are very expensive as i have astigmatism so my poor eyesight is due to my eye being more eggy than it should be.

i have reservations about wearing contacts because i'm paranoid about scratching my eyeballs, and super paranoid about infections. thats mostly preventable if you practice good hygiene, but i'm just.. paranoid,

how is it going by the way? is it getting easier to wear them? remembering to clean them is a bother.

• 2 weeks later...

I love wearing contacts despite them getting really dry and clouding out my vision at times. Can't stand it when my glasses fog up after stepping out from an air-conditioned room and I've been wearing glasses since 8 years old. But when I first started wearing contacts, i took FOREVER to get them in cause i my eyes couldn't stop blinking in retaliation to a foreign object haha.

Just don't wear your contacts to sleep, I heard it isn't good at all and it's important to cleanse them properly after each wear.

My mum did lasik too and I can't wait to get mine, but I'm afraid that it might hurt:((((