Changing Auction format?

Nataluna

so today i had two petpet paint brushes sniped right under me, i don't really have a fast connection and i was wishing that Neopets could change the auction format to something like eBay, where you make a maximum bid and the system automatically bids for you.

this is mainly because the neopets autofill bid makes it soo easy for snipers that after 1 frustrated day, i'm just going to do it through the trading post, which is a shame because really, Austrlia has terrible internet plans (and terrible availability)

or the introduction of the click-on-the-neopet format as seen in the shops?

thoughts?

(and i do admit it probably is better with the in-exact time thing, but since you can track items on the current auctions page, not that helpful)

While I also find it incredibly annoying to be snipped, if you boost your price up a bit more than the minimum bid, it's much more likely that you will win the item. It's always fun when you manage to snipe someone else though :rolleyes_anim:

I'm not a complete fan of the current auction system but it works. And I don't think that changing it to an e-bay like system would actually help because you can still get snipped in e-bay too. Faster connection speeds will almost always win. It's the same as restocking, I don't think I'll ever get the chocolate avatar. :sad01_anim:

it wouldn't work with an autobid system because people like me would just come along put an auto bid to the amount it would be profitable so that even if you did win you couldn't sell it for a profit, and if it had this function i'd search for paintbrushes and set it up on items that are 24 hours away so that i wouldn't miss, them whereas atm i'd have to wait till it got within 30 mins then start bidding for it which creates a lot less competition because i can hardly ever be bothered to auction snipe, the reward is too small usually

Autobid WOULD be easier BUT the richest Neopians would always win ¬_¬ I was being spoken to by someone I was bidding fiercely against. She asked when I planned to stop, I replied whenever I felt like (i.e. I'm not telling you!) but we BOTH got sniped! So we went 'RAAAAAAAAR' about that for a while XD

last night i was probably.. too frustrated to have really thought that through :P auctions are always going to be difficult, i do agree with the points pointed out.. its never going to be a perfect system :P and i think from now on, sticking to the trading post :laughingsmiley:

i totally got sniped last night. i hate the auction house with a passion, especially when there's 3 seconds left and it says things like "The current asking price for this item () is 80000 Neopoints, and the minimum increment is 1000 Neopoints. This means you have to bid at least 81000!" when it had JUST been 70k on the bidding page like half a second before. this is especially bad when coupled with a picture of the scorchio going "auctions are so much fun!"

i don't know how snipers have such fast connections, je suis jalouse.

As much as it can be annoying, part of the fun of the auctions is being able to get stuff for quite cheap on occasion. But if you want to get some good deals without dealing with too many snipers, try to use the auctions at a low traffic time. I find if I go on in the early morning, EST, I have much less competition for items than if I go on in the evening. Also, if you have the money, try bidding on some unbuyables. There are fewer people trying to snipe them due to the np investment since you can't turn around and sell in a shop