Valentines Day

Awesome_Paul

what does valentines day represent. its a day where you give gifts to your loved ones, thats its.

BUT isn't that meant to be each day, you should have to share your love each day rather than just one day, so the debate question is: Is Valentines just another scheme for shops to make money?

i think so, they acting like you have to buy your loved ones gifts once per year rather than weekly etc.

why is valentines even around, there no past history date is there

Well, Vivi. It makes sense to love one another every day, but Valentines Day is a holiday dedicated to that. It's certainly doesn't mean you don't have to love any other day. And for the history, Valentines Day probably began around a couple hundred years A.D. It was named after two men named Valentine. I don't really see anything wrong with the holiday. Sure, people may use the holiday as a marketing scheme, but it's not all that bad. Besides, you don't have to buy anything. Home-made gifts work too.

Here are some theories I found

"One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men -- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death."

"According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France."

eh i know it was explained to me how/why it started but i forgot. but with how it is currently ive never been big on it and stil not even tho im actully with someone for it this year, lol(ok well last 2 years) we are still gonna use it as an excuse to go out to a fancy place we both have been wanting, he has been there before i havnt.. basicly bill will be atleast 100 for just us 2, lol. but we arnt even going until the end of the month or maybe after the 15th of next month.. waiting on his 15% incresse to kick in on his paycheck.

he always brings me home random things he knows i like, even a little mettel thing that we have no idea what it is but he knows ill love it because it will be fun to use in a sculpture or to make jewelrey out of. infact he and i both even forgot when it was vday until he had looked at the date. lol

but on topic i dont hink its a 'scheme' i jsut think its been completly warped from where it started..kinda like christmas and easter and even halloween..pretty much every holiday there is, excluding mothers day and fathers day, lol

Since it is also friendship day, not many people give gifts or see their friends everyday so its good to have just one special day for that.

This post has been edited by a member of debate staff (Chipmonker) because of a violation of the forum rules.

The thread has been closed due to it's age. Please contact Chipmonker if you want this thread reopened or for any other mod duty.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.