Political Correctness

aethenlynden

I'm looking for peoples opinions on this.

Banter passes between people, when it escalates to insults PC likes to step in.

a short escalating argument that disturbed my staff recently.

PersonA: Is from the islands, she took exception to being given a suggestion by a Brit even though this person is her equal, if not her superior and comes out with an offensive racial slur, telling her to go back to her own country and ruin it.

PersonB: replies with a similar slur and that she has to go back, PersonA should also go back to her own country.

PersonA: plays the race card to management, how unfair it is she was being insulted for her race - she omits that she pulled the first slur.

PersonB: has been give a disciplinary and file note, PersonA doesn't get discipliner over this incident.

Sadly because this was not my department, I didn't have a much of a say. if it had been within my own department both would have received a warning and PersonA would have been received an additional file note for provocation.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘General Chat’ to ‘The Debate Chat’.

I'm looking for peoples opinions on this.

Banter passes between people, when it escalates to insults PC likes to step in.

a short escalating argument that disturbed my staff recently.

PersonA: Is from the islands, she took exception to being given a suggestion by a Brit even though this person is her equal, if not her superior and comes out with an offensive racial slur, telling her to go back to her own country and ruin it.

PersonB: replies with a similar slur and that she has to go back, PersonA should also go back to her own country.

PersonA: plays the race card to management, how unfair it is she was being insulted for her race - she omits that she pulled the first slur.

PersonB: has been give a disciplinary and file note, PersonA doesn't get discipliner over this incident.

Sadly because this was not my department, I didn't have a much of a say. if it had been within my own department both would have received a warning and PersonA would have been received an additional file note for provocation.

this dosn't sound like political correctness gone too far it sounds like somebody taking advantage of racism when it suits them and i think they should be disciplined purely for that

Political correctness in and of itself is too far, no matter how it's used :P

If they were both being racist, I'd say the person who started it should be punished - maybe both. If a person attempts murder, and during the attempt the person defends themselves and almost kills the murderer, both sides of the story are listened to and then they look at evidence to see who is telling the truth. In general, and in most cases, the person who initiated the murdering is charged and punished, and the person who defended themselves is (usually) not. If the person who defended themselves did far more damage to the original murder attempter, then some charges may be brought up against them.

Person A made the first insult, and should be punished because if Person B was the one from the islands A would already have been disciplined. A is taking advantage of her race, and that in itself is racism against her own people. I don't think B should have been punished at all, depending on the suggestion they made, and the A is to blame, B was defending them self, and would have probably never said anything if A hadn't first.

Person A made the first insult, and should be punished because if Person B was the one from the islands A would already have been disciplined. A is taking advantage of her race, and that in itself is racism against her own people. I don't think B should have been punished at all, depending on the suggestion they made, and the A is to blame, B was defending them self, and would have probably never said anything if A hadn't first.

Agreed times about five thousand.

Person A is in the wrong. And your point on person A raking advantage of her race - that was a very, very good point.

• 2 weeks later...

Telling some one to go back to their country because you don't like what they said or did is concentrated stupidity, and it seems everyone does it, everywhere. It's not a racist statement in all cases, but it is always a form of voiced bigotry that shouldn't be tolerated in any civilized environment.

Defending yourself with more nationalism/racism in the face of it is not the same as defending yourself from being murdered - One requires a response, and the other doesn't and can potentially make a heated situation far worse... Both should have received whatever form of warning you have with the person who initiated receiving a harsher one.

Just a note: Almost everyone who starts a sentence off like "this may not be politically correct, but" is going to say something incredibly offensive.. I've yet to see an exception to that rule.

Just a note: Almost everyone who starts a sentence off like "this may not be politically correct, but" is going to say something incredibly offensive.. I've yet to see an exception to that rule.

This may not be politically correct, but...could you pass me the black crayon?

Gotta laugh when people are afraid to use the word "black" to describe the color that is the opposite of white.

I doubt the validity of this anecdote.. Sounds like a made up example for some one to prove a point..

Oh, I'm certain that the vast majority of the stories on that site are made up or exaggerated. They're still hilarious. Some people are like that, though--they'll avoid saying "black" at all costs.

However, this was a true incident.

To sum up that link: you may have heard about this when it happened. A guy used "black hole" as a metaphor to describe the office of central collections because paperwork kept disappearing. Some people got angry and said it was racially insensitive.

EDIT:

So today, I was watching the Colbert Report online and stumbled upon this video.

Jew them down!

Basically, Larry Taylor told insurance companies that they should not be trying to screw over victims of natural disasters, and he used the words "Don't try to Jew them down." The difference between this and the "black hole" thing is that "black hole" refers to the lack of light and isn't even referring to race at all--while the other is actually perpetrating a negative stereotype.

That's not what I want to get into.

I just want to tell a story.

Once upon a time, there was this adorable, sweet, innocent young girl. She didn't understand racism because one is not born racist; one is taught racism instead. She did not understand stereotypes because she judged people based on themselves and didn't associate their negative attributes with others of a similar religion or whatever.

Then she met a bunch of adults who used a certain negative stereotype. They talked about Jewing people down. They talked about Jewing people out of what they deserved.

Being the sweet, innocent child she was, this little girl did not understand the first time. She heard it as a J, but she knew the word Jew. It was a noun, not a verb. Therefore, it was impossible to "jew" someone, right? So being the ingenious little girl she was, she logically concluded that she had misheard. They hadn't said "jew them down"! They had said "CHEW them down"!

A magnificent turn of phrase, she concluded. Similar to cutting people down to size when they've gotten too big. When they ask for too much money, you chew them down.

Then one day, she was selling Girl Scout cookies, and someone started joking with her about haggling. The wonderful, non-racist child asked in her adorable little-girl voice, "Are you trying to chew me down?"

That was the day she learned what that phrase was referring to.

(The first half of this story is true. The Girl Scout cookie part is not. I figured if I was going to tell you a story, I might as well make it interesting.)