Recurring Error When Trying to Use Site with Firefox

Serenade627

Hi there! I returned from a hiatus recently to find that I have somehow changed my Firefox settings so that I can no longer use Neopets properly. I specifically remember doing something where I thought "Oh, that's going to make using Neopets difficult... I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." but unfortunately I can't remember what I did!

The error message I'm getting is

"Error: You have been directed to this page from the wrong place! If you KEEP getting this error, chances are you have some security settings enabled that are not letting you play Neopets correctly."

Unfortunately the link it gives me takes me to a page that has no tips on how to fix the problem for Firefox users. I know it's a Firefox problem because for the past month I've been using Chrome for Neopets, but I prefer to do my thing in Firefox and my computer is lagging from the pressure of running the two browsers simultaneously.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and someone out there knows the answer. Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)

I'm guessing you've instructed Firefox not to send the HTTP referrer header, either with an add-on or via about:config. If you did it via about:config, you should be able to tweak it back with the network.http.sendRefererHeader pref (right-click & reset). :)

I've made an attempt at both suggested solutions.

bahati, unfortunately I can't find anything related to cookies in my preferences at all. I know what you're talking about because I've worked with those settings before but I can't find them.

Anonymous, I'm not 100% sure of how to execute your suggestion. I went into the "Network" tab and tried messing around with the proxy settings because I knew there was a reload button there but it didn't work.

If it's any more help I'm currently using Firefox version 6.0.2 Unfortunately I can be a bit of a noob sometimes so I'm having a lot of trouble. If you can put exactly how to get from point A to point B I would be very grateful. I like to think I'm a wiz at computers, but clearly I'm not :whistle:

about:config is the actual url to access firefox's configurations. you can type it into the url area directly. I don't think it's cookies though, because when I disable it I can usually still access neopets though logging in would be another issue. The certificates are in the encryption section of your advanced options.

as a former GM on a game server my best advice is, when in doubt - wipe and reinstall.

- this will tell you if it truly is a firefox problem (as long as you remember to wipe the firefox data stuffs it leaves behind as well or install in a separate folder). A bonus is that, it reverts everything to factory settings.

look on the bright side, you don't need to download 2GBs of randomness - it only takes 10minutes to do a reinstall of firefox at most.

Huh, I'm running Firefox 7 now and haven't had any issues with Neopets.

It's also possible to use Firefox with all add-ons disabled. Go to Help -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled. And it... disables your add-ons. Sometimes add-ons can make sites act funky, so it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would be your best bet. And while you're at it, think about upgrading to Firefox 7. It's not a humungous step up from 6, but it fixes some security issues.

Hmm... as a Firefox dev I'd probably recommend against wiping and reinstalling (especially wiping profile data) when possible. It's at best a troubleshooting step, and generally used in 'when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail' situations. If you have any add-ons installed, you might want to list them out (and maybe uninstall ones you no longer use) - as mentioned earlier, they can mess with preferences sometimes.

Here's a quick summary of the steps to make sure HTTP referrer headers are being sent:

1. Type about:config in the URL bar and press enter.
  2. Read the warning and heed it before you click the button to continue.
  3. Paste network.http.sendRefererHeader in the filter box.
  4. Right-click the preference that comes up and select 'Reset' (this should reset the value to 2).

It's worth noting, however, that if you aren't at least vaguely familiar with about:config, it's likely an add-on changed the preference and not you. If that's the case, you might have to figure out which add-on it is and disable/uninstall it, or it may just flip the preference again.

And of course, if the preference is already at 2, then the problem lies elsewhere. :(

Oh, and I second Shiranui's recommendation to update to Firefox 7 (go to Firefox > Help > About Firefox and it should check for updates for you), although I would like to add that Firefox 7 actually is a humongous step up from Firefox 6, just not on the surface. ;)