"3" Musketeers

Piticent

Now, Im reading Sleeping Freashmen Never Lie *mutters something about hating summer reading* and spotted something about there being 4 musketeers. I've started to google it, but I came here to triple check...are there 3 or 4 musketeers?

The three original Musketeers are Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. In their story, a young man named D'Artagnan seeks to join them. The story ends with him becoming the fourth musketeer. So there are technically four.

And I hated summer reading back when I had to do it too. Do you have to *gulp* write book reports on each book :sick01:?

Pfft be forced to read an anthology of HORRIBLY written greek mythology and then talk.

We had to do that one summer in high school...the book was so universally hated by us that the english teachers of our year could not test anyone without starting a riot. It was so amusing and one of our rare victories :D

I just had to point out that this thread is full of so much fail.

*sigh*

I know! I can't seem to wrap my brain around the concept of a school system that expects students to do school work for classes they aren't even in yet. That makes no sense at all to me. What if you have to change your schedule around and you've wasted time writing a report for a class you aren't taking?

As if the people that developed this curriculum actually believe that forcing kids to read boring books during the summer will foster positive attitude toward literacy.

Actually, by "fail," I was referring to the following:

Now, Im reading Sleeping Freashmen Never Lie

*I'm

*Freshmen

...are there 3 or 4 musketeers?

...Even if you're not familiar with the literature...or the movies...there's a popular candy bar called 3 Musketeers for heaven's sake...I mean come on! sigh.

No thank goodness but we *thuroughly^ study them

*thoroughly

So yeah...it would seem to me that perhaps summer reading is a terrific idea for some!

Sigh...what kills me is that you younguns have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips via the internet, but you're using it mostly to look at captioned pictures of lolcats and to find out what Lady Gaga's favorite food is. Don't know how to spell something? Use the old Google! It actually tells you how to spell stuff! :P

Now go hit those books, young man! America needs its citizens to be educated!

Am I the only one who loves/loved her summer reading? >.o

I don't think I ever read a book for summer reading that I hated.

There were the bright spots of course. But so much of the stuff that was assigned at least to me was overly tedious and would not catch the imagination of anyone let alone a teenager. Assign GOOD books! I also disagree with the definition of the word "classic". Some books are indeed classic in how old they are. So old in fact that young people with their ADD cannot sit down and read. I think mostly of Charles Dickens here, samples being Great Expectations and Tale of Two Cities. Good books and great examples of their times. But (especially given the fact that Dickens was paid by the WORD to write these books) they are so verbose that no person born in the age of quick information and the internet can hope to sit down and pay attention to them.

Reading is important and I do love it. But so much of what is "required" goes against how today's teens and young adults are wired.

Sigh...what kills me is that you younguns have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips via the internet, but you're using it mostly to look at captioned pictures of lolcats and to find out what Lady Gaga's favorite food is. Don't know how to spell something? Use the old Google! It actually tells you how to spell stuff! :P

Aww, come on. Lolcats are cute. P: Have to agree about the spell check though. I don't know about the rest of you, but my browser automatically spell checks emails, blog posts, and...message board posts. Hmm.

I hated a lot of my summer reading, and I love to read. I just can't really do much with stuff like The Old Man and the Sea. I don't like Ernest Hemingway, I'm sorry. That book was like slow torture. That and The Grapes of Wrath. Good lawd! That phonetic spelling was upsetting for me. Just because something is a "classic" (i.e. old and famous) doesn't mean it's fun to read, nor that everyone will necessarily draw any sort of lesson out of it.

...Even if you're not familiar with the literature...or the movies...there's a popular candy bar called 3 Musketeers for heaven's sake...I mean come on! sigh.

How is this a fail? Did you not read the thread? There are actually four musketeers.

Even if there were only three musketeers, it is rather geocentric of you to assume everyone has heard of the candy bar. I've never seen it in Europe in my 5+ years there.

I know! I can't seem to wrap my brain around the concept of a school system that expects students to do school work for classes they aren't even in yet. That makes no sense at all to me. What if you have to change your schedule around and you've wasted time writing a report for a class you aren't taking?

As if the people that developed this curriculum actually believe that forcing kids to read boring books during the summer will foster positive attitude toward literacy.

I know right! Its not like the student is going to get better at reading or learning the language by just reading the same stupid story over and over again.

Oh and Cornflakes, that candy named three musketeers isn't exactly popular. I've tried a few times before....doesn't really taste that good.

How is this a fail? Did you not read the thread? There are actually four musketeers.

Even if there were only three musketeers, it is rather geocentric of you to assume everyone has heard of the candy bar. I've never seen it in Europe in my 5+ years there.

There are three Musketeers. It's common knowledge.

And I didn't say anything about the candy bar being popular in Europe. Since Piticent is from New York City, it can be assumed that they have the candy bar where he is, since it's in the US.

I don't appreciate name-calling, thanks.

Additionally, why did you call me "geocentric"? Lol, looks like someone else needs some summer reading...fail.

This is getting out of hand. This board was created for the answer to a question, and quickly went beyond. There's no need to insult people for not knowing certain things, whether it's considered common knowledge or not.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.