Firewalls & Breaking through them

So for my magazine class, I was assigned "Hackers and Firewalls" (*waits for AA to jump on me for that* that's the topic I was assigned I didn't come up with it. Complain to my editors...) as my clip. Problem is... I know nothing. Less than nothing. I know jack squat.

I was thinking taking the angle of how computer programs are used to break through firewalls, but how does that work? What programming language would someone use, should I talk to the computer science department, I've tried calling the school's technology services, but have had no one get back to me.

Help, please? I'm doing this as a multimedia piece so a short (2-4 minute) video. I was thinking video of someone creating code and explaining how each bit works & at the end (or beginning) have a voiceover of the tech. experts explaining how firewalls prevent such programs?

Literally:

Long: Ring of Fire

Clip: Firewalls/hacking

That is all I got. I don't think just focusing on the importance of putting up firewalls would be long enough without going into far more depth than needed...

Could you explain if you're trying to break the firewall from INSIDE (eg. Student at school trying to bypass school's firewall/filters) or OUTSIDE (eg. Outsider trying to hack into someone's computer that has a firewall enabled)?