Someone is stealing my account?

siemis

Hey^^

I got an email from neopets:

Greetings!

A request was made to retrieve the usernames associated with this email address. Since you asked so nicely, here they are:

Username: schattenpflanze

Password: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Username: fyonan

Password: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You can use any one of the these usernames to log in to Neopets here:

http://www.neopets.com/loginpage.phtml</a>

See you in Neopia!

The Neopets Team

This e-mail was sent by NeoPets, Inc., P.O. Box 10263, Glendale, California 91204. NEOPETS, and all characters, logos, names, and related indicia, are trademarks of NeoPets, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright 1999-2010 NeoPets, Inc. NeoPets is a MTV Networks company.

You are receiving this email because someone has used this email address to create a Neopets.com account. If you wish to no longer receive ALL Neopets site related news, please click on the URL below, or copy and paste it into your web browser and you will be automatically removed from the email list: http://www.neopets.com/unsub.phtml?hash=60hKrPkkgyL&[email protected]&type=1

To manually update your email preferences, please click on the URL below, or copy and paste it into your web browser:http://www.neopets.com/email_pref.phtml

To read the Neopets Privacy Policy, click here: http://www.neopets.com/privacy.phtml

But I didn't request my username or password. I did change both of my passwords but do I also have to change email or the password to that email address?

Am I right, is someone try to get into my account? oÒ

pleas help~

This actually occurs pretty commonly these days (unfortunately). This email is sent automatically by Neopets when you use the site's forgotten password function, so all a user would have to know to trigger it would be your username or email address. They could then enter this into the forgotten password form, generally in a rather pointless attempt to steal your account. As long as they don't actually have access to your email address, there's really no threat.

If your Neopets/email password is weak or hasn't been changed in a long time, I'd change it just in case (you should be changing it regularly anyway). Otherwise these messages can be safely ignored. :)

This actually occurs pretty commonly these days (unfortunately). This email is sent automatically by Neopets when you use the site's forgotten password function, so all a user would have to know to trigger it would be your username or email address. They could then enter this into the forgotten password form, generally in a rather pointless attempt to steal your account. As long as they don't actually have access to your email address, there's really no threat.

If your Neopets/email password is weak or hasn't been changed in a long time, I'd change it just in case (you should be changing it regularly anyway). Otherwise these messages can be safely ignored. :)

I did change my email pw to be safe =D

thanks a lot for your help ^____^

I got the same e-mail last night. The odd thing is, I requested that info months ago and never got it. I was wondering if this was one of those e-mail issues where the mail gets "stuck" until someone fixes the problem, then all the old mail is "released" at once.

I got the same e-mail last night. The odd thing is, I requested that info months ago and never got it. I was wondering if this was one of those e-mail issues where the mail gets "stuck" until someone fixes the problem, then all the old mail is "released" at once.

Hmm... that is possible, but usually mail doesn't get stuck for that long (it ends up vanishing altogether instead :( ). Thankfully this is pretty rare though.

I also got one of these emails yesterday. I changed my passwords, just to be safe, but my webmaster assures me that no one has tried to access my email account.

Events like the AC bring out all sort of scammers, so it's expected that some opportunistic people will be trying to steal other peoples' accounts. Unless you have a hotmail account as your account email, and it's the same as your Neopets user name, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good grief I've been getting about one of these per week and now I just got 4 of them within one hour. Should I be concerned? I have very strong passwords that are different on everything anyway....

This generally means somebody is being persistent and extremely stupid. If you like you can change your email password just to be safe, but this shouldn't be anything to be worried about. :yes: