Kill the enviroment.....

Empress Keiko

Well, here we go, my first debate board.

Now, we all know that people drive cars. It's beneficial. Then we have the people who turn driving cars, into a nightmare.

Take your average car. What do you think is average? I like to think a smaller car. Some people think that average....is the size of this text compared to...the size of this text. Guess what people? Those 3 and a half ton cars aren't normal. Then why do people drive them? to make themselves feel taller? To show that they have money? Because they're bored and everyone else got them? I think its all of these. Guess what, people? You're killing our enviroment every Gas-guzzling car! SUVs are sooo heavy, that theweight is unbalanced. Making a sharp turn will make your car turn over. Hitting a bump in the road will make it flip. It has no protection too. So why do people buy it? I think it's to make themselves feel more important. People, grow up. SUVs also help pay terrorists in the mideast. This is why Bush is making a whole speach about it! People, SUVs are death-mobiles.

Do you people think the same?

lol....not much to debate. Someone must have something to say? But I'd be happy if everyone agreed.

Well you make good points and I agree, but some people buy SUVS because they have big families. Some people buy a car because they really need one for transportation 24/7 and to get to their meetings on time. So not everyone buys them just because. We had our chance to prevent damage to the environment, and now we cannot prevent anything bad that is to come. So let's just enjoy it while we can. Also if just a few people stop driving those big cars, it won't solve anything.

And what does that have to do with the debate? (Just wondering)

Anyways, I agree, especially with the part about Bush. I think he's finally pulled his act together.

Lets get back a little more on topic.

Those 3 and a half ton cars aren't normal. Then why do people drive them? to make themselves feel taller? To show that they have money? Because they're bored and everyone else got them? I think its all of these.

Some people need trucks for buiness / personal life reasons. Like hauling dirt, rocks, lumber, etc. And (at least in my area) if the locals didn't attach snow plows to their trucks, we would be trapped for days. Or until the county could get down through the backroads that I live on.

Although I do agree that just buying SUVs just because you have money isn't a good reason. But having a single SUV isn't going to kill the environment - it's when some million people by SUVs that that really has any effect on the environment.

One should also note that US citizens AREN'T the only ones on the planet. Nor are they the single factor in causing the planet to go. (However a large factor nonetheless)

And to futhur comment;

It has no protection too.

Truck > Car; Huge Mass > Small Mass

SUVs also help pay terrorists in the mideast.

No. You can't say that b/c regular cars use gasoline too. And I strongly suspect that the US doesn't patronize oil countries that support terrorists (Iran). Rather, the US buys it from Saudi Arabia and the likes.

To chipmonker: Car with Large mass such as hummer = too much weight distributed to the top. = easier to flip.

I'm not speaking about pickup trucks and stuff like that. We need that stuff for work.

I know that we're not the only problem. Places like India burn cow manure, which means horribly polluted air.

I know regular cars also use gasoline, but SUVs are gas guzzlers. Literally.

And to ellie: Yes people may need big cars, but here in Suburbia, the cars are huge, and there are only two people in it. Going to stop and shop. A good substitute would be a station wagon

Fine, I will give that too you.

"SUVs and light pickups are marketed to suburbanites who drive them like cars, careening around corners. When driven in this manner, truck-based SUVs and pickups are prone to flip over."

However in the same breath;

"The study also found that the most dangerous vehicles for their occupants are compact and sub-compact cars ("econo-boxes" such as the Dodge Neon and other small vehicles) and, at the other end of the scale, pickups. In this sense, the study confirmed the popular belief that econo-boxes are death traps. And so they are: do not buy them and do not let your children ride in them. The study also confirmed the popular belief that large cars are safer than compacts. But safety design, not tonnage, is the significant factor."

Also, Hummers don't flip over. They are dangerous to other people, outside of it. That is why they are also military vehicles. See - http://www.lynchhummer.com/tailgater.html

Also look at this page - It spiked my interest. (It's the Moscow traffic x_x )

http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=429

• 4 weeks later...

How did you get in here, you stupid little ad bot?

...on topic...yeah...

I just think for now, that one cannot just restrict a car because it burns too much gas. We really need to find alternative solutions to our problems before trying to "fix it." Otherwise we are going to end up a creek without a paddle. And a few hundred million people extremely anger because they don't have cars anymore.

Could anyone think of a way we might do that?

Well we have find an alternatives. They just can't compete with gas. Hyrdogen cars, Hybrids, and Electric cars

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Chipmonker) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Ehhh...this post is getting a little old. PM me to have it reopened.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.