I'm going to be in the NT!

Parry

I can't even wait for the edition to come out first before posting the good news. I've wanted that Neopian Times CHAMPION!! trophy for about 6 years, and now it's mine! :D My short story's called The Squid Farm, and here's a little spoiler ahead of its publication:

Small Giant Squid

The squid undergoes their infant stages of life as a Small Giant Squid. Aged 6 – 24 months old, a Small Giant Squid establishes its diet during these years, and chooses what they eat. They retain their inability to digest kelp.

I have had a life-long fondness for squids, and while I cannot remember the exact year that it started, my parents have said that my first ever catch from Ye Old Fishing Vortex was a Small Giant Squid. Technically, the catch hadn’t been mine; I had yet to acquire language at that time, let alone having the strength to make it. No, it had been my father’s. I used to watch him fish with a kind of newfound wonder that renewed itself energetically every single day, and one day, he had taught me how to grasp the fishing rod. I was much smaller back then, and holding onto the rod on my own was like trying to carry an Autumn Birch Tree. Of course, I wasn’t alone, and my father did everything; I just had an excellent view.

I had never been more ecstatic when we caught something, and even more so when the Small Giant Squid shot out of the water and into my father’s outstretched hand. I remember touching it, and finding the slimy, somewhat rubbery skin strange and exciting. If we had had all the time in the world, I don’t think I would have ever let go. The experience had been new, exciting, enthralling, and it opened up a new level of curiosity in my mind.

Awesome work! It sounds like I've got yet another item to add to my reading list. xD

Wow, that's awesome! Hehe, you've inspired me to try to get into the NT during my summer break. This should be fun.

^^

Little word of advice; if you're doing a series, and you happen to go over the 1500 word limit but only write about 4 pages per part, extend it. The Squid Farm was originally a 2-part series, but it got rejected because apparently, 'your story was too short for a series'. I was fairly surprised, considering how each part was actually 1700 words (or 3400 put together)!

^^

Little word of advice; if you're doing a series, and you happen to go over the 1500 word limit but only write about 4 pages per part, extend it. The Squid Farm was originally a 2-part series, but it got rejected because apparently, 'your story was too short for a series'. I was fairly surprised, considering how each part was actually 1700 words (or 3400 put together)!

It seems we have differing issues with the NT word limits. xD I tend to average 3,000 to 4,000 words per part for my series, although they're rather short overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! This looks rather awesome to read :D I'm usually not a NT person but I'll remember to look for your story =)