Commissioning Art of My Neopet..?

Ethelune

So, I'm interested in commissioning an artist to draw a picture of my Chomby, just for my own enjoyment (i.e., I wouldn't be entering it into the Beauty Contest or any other competition). I'm not exchanging money for any in-game benefit, but I am paying for art that uses characters copyright to Neopets.

I'm always nervous about breaking any of the rules... so I thought I'd come to you guys and ask. It's better to be safe than come home to a frozen account. :S

This isn't allowed. This question was actually just asked recently in the Editorial. I will hunt it down and edit this with the info.

Neopets Editorial - Issue: 486 | Question #10

Okay, so I've got this touchy issue that I thought to ask you guys about BEFORE I took any action (phew!). Basically, I've started my own little "IRL" (in real life) collection of artwork that I really admire. Although I am no art expert, I'm always on the lookout for paintings / pictures that spark my interest. I would love to purchase full renders of some of the art that users submit to the Art Gallery competition. I've read through past Editorials and from the Terms of Service, though, and they pretty much all say that it's wrong to give / take commissions on the Neopets site. ANNNND it's wrong to inquire about outside contact like deviant-art. So, am I basically out of luck? Sorry for the longwinded question, but this dilemma is very frustrating. If it's against the rules, please remove my username so people don't contact me. ~username removed

Neopets are the intellectual property of Neopets.com, so unfortunately artists can't legally sell artwork derived from our intellectual property.

It's a totally stupid rule :P How many artists on dA or at anime cons get paid to draw fanart of whatever series? I paid a few bucks for a sketch of a Heracross at Otakon last year :rolleyes_anim:

Your chomby is really awesome though. I would totally offer to draw him but I'm not very good xD

That's what I thought. :( It's a disappointment, but I understand the importance of respecting intellectual property.

Aw, thank you, Manta! :laughingsmiley: Since I finally got my Chomby, I've been saving up to customize him. I'm not anywhere near done, but I'm really loving how he's looking, so far. Hopefully, I can get off my lazy butt and finally find the motivation to draw something of him. ^_^