Filling out collegeapplications

xLaura

I go to a community college now, and I'm going to transfer out next year.

I live in new york and theres a number of schools I could go to classified as "SUNY" schools (state university of new york)

Is it too late to apply for next year?

Does visiting the campuses REALLY matter?

everyone says I should always visit the campus, but I honestly don't care what they look like as long as I don't live at home next year.

I feel like im not getting the whole college experience here, all my friends went away to school and they post pictures on facebook of them going out and having fun, and im stuck here.. =/

you'll have to check out the college's site to see if you're too late, but I think you're fine right now.

Yes yes YES visit the campus. I didn't know I wanted to go to my college till I visited the campus. And it's more than the look of the campus. You get your best feel for the people on campus and how safe the campus is by visiting it. You say you don't care what it's like now, but a few months into school you'll be wishing you had a pretty, well kept campus to enjoy and nice people to enjoy it with.

And yeah, you're not gonna get the whole experience at community college... that's more like... high school with harder classes and more free time. Hehe.

Are you in upstate NY? I go out there every year and considered going to college there. I ended up not going out there for school but I plan on moving out there after I graduate (in a little over a year). Most of the campus' in New York are amazing. I have been to RIT and am considering apply to graduate school out there. As far as visiting the campus, I never did. It really didn't overly matter for me (i live in AZ though). Even when you visit the campus you won't overly know what it is like there without asking other people. Remember the people giving the tours are being paid to make the campus sound like an amazing place to get you to go there.

There is one thing I would like to ask are you more of a party person/social? I personally am not. I think that even if i lived on campus I wouldn't do all the "partying" either way. Of course that may come with my major (engineering) but either way if you live on campus that doesn't mean you will be going out and doing more. I personally found that me saving money living at home would allow me to do more because I have more money to do things. It is completely up to you though. Also I didn't have to deal with a roommate that kept me up when I really needed my sleep before a test. Sometimes roommates can completely ruin that experience.

Community college is like high school. The teachers still hold your hands with everything. You won't get the college feel there unless you try and be apart of as many clubs as possible. A 4 year university has the mentality of you are there to make me money so you have to fight a lot more for everything. Don't let it scare you but just be aware it is different.

Pretty much college is what you make of it. If you think that living on campus is what you want to do then go look at the dorm rooms (and ask people that live there if they would live there again next year).

Oh and i doubt you are to late for most colleges. Remember they are a business and they want your money! haha.

i live in upstate/central.. syracuse new york to be more exact. I love going out to places with my friends but only get to go out when they're home..so like my friend's spring break was this week so we hung out all week, but I wont see them all until april when their next break is

on the other side though I can just as easily stay at home all day and do nothing because i am incredibly lazy

I have to agree with Batman here. College is exactly what you make of it. I have friends who go to four year university and don't do much more than sit in the library and their dorm...and I have other friends who do nothing but party. For some people, community college is perfect because you are getting the same basic credits for a lot less...other people really want the whole traditional college experience. Personally, I have never lived on a campus, and I never will. I won't pay for it, because I really have no interest in it. Remember that living on a campus doesn't guarantee you good friends either, you still have to go put yourself out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it might be too late to apply to SUNY schools for Fall (my girlfriend has already heard back on her application), but you could always try to apply for next Spring Semester!

I'd also definitely recommend going to college that isn't just a community college, living in the dorms, etc etc. The school I go to (FIT, a SUNY school) keeps me super crazy busy because their program for my major is really intense, so I haven't really been getting as much of "the college experience" as my friends at other schools have been - but it's still been an incredible experience learning to live on my own. It's kind of like the real world but with training wheels, since you're living on your own but you've still got a lot of things being taken care of by the school (and your parents, if they're willing) so you don't have to worry about quite as much as you will once you've graduated.