Gimp Help

xLaura

Alright..so I'm using this program called gimp (or as i like to call it, the poor mans photoshop)

And I don't know how to delete the white background from the image without losing the white parts in the image

I've done the "color to alpha" thing.. and the magic wand still leaves a thing layer of white around the image.. WHAT DO!!

(thanks :whistle: )

The poor man's Photoshop? The GIMP is the culmination of years of hard work from all over the free and open source software community. It's a lot more than simply the poor man's Photoshop. ;)

That said: stick with the magic wand tool, but tweak the threshold to your liking. That should let you shave off the thin remnant. :)

I LOVE GIMP! It's just as good as photoshop, and can actually be better if you know what you are doing. The learning curve is just a bit steeper than Photoshop. I learned Adobe Photoshop when I was in Grade 7. I started playing around with GIMP maybe three years ago? Two and a half? Either way, I have learned how to do JUST about everything I used to be able to do in photoshop. The only thing is, I do not have a tablet, so I use it a LOT less than I would if I did. :P

I LOVE GIMP! It's just as good as photoshop, and can actually be better if you know what you are doing. The learning curve is just a bit steeper than Photoshop. I learned Adobe Photoshop when I was in Grade 7. I started playing around with GIMP maybe three years ago? Two and a half? Either way, I have learned how to do JUST about everything I used to be able to do in photoshop. The only thing is, I do not have a tablet, so I use it a LOT less than I would if I did. :P

yeah i dont have a tablet either, i wish i knew how to do cool effects and such

/edit

I JUST SAVED IT WITHOUT THE WHITE BACKGROUND AND THEN WHEN I OPENED IT BACK UP IT WAS THERE AGAIN...THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING

AND ALL MY LAYERS ARE GONE

okay im going to calm down..i just need to figure out how to get the fuzzy select w/e thingies

I love gimp. I have one of the Adobe Photoshops but I only use GIMP <3

What file type are you saving it as?

If you want to go back to it later, keeping your layers separate, save the project as a ".xcf"

This way when you open it up again it will be just as you left it.

To save images (that you do longer want to edit layers of) with transparent backgrounds, save the image as either a ".gif" or ".png"

Also, when exporting to one of these file types, do not "Flatten Image", instead right click any layer on the layers menu and click "Merge Visible Layers" before you save - This will make all of your layers merge into one, while keeping the transparency.

For the Magic Wand Tool, keep changing the Threshold. I suggest you fill the whole surrounding area of your image in white, then click the magic wand tool, then click the white. Zoom in a little to see if there's a gap between the outline of your image and the selection line. If so, keep increasing the threshold then clicking the white again until the selection line outlines the image like you want it to. Also sometimes the tool will leave almost, but not completely transparent pixels, to avoid this untick "Antialiasing" (Located somewhere above the threshold bar).

Once this is done, right click then go to Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel, then click delete and all the white should disappear. Afterwards, save accordingly (I mentioned above a good way to do this).

Sorry if this makes little sense. I tried my best to explain it but I'm not a great person at explaining things.

I love gimp. I have one of the Adobe Photoshops but I only use GIMP <3

What file type are you saving it as?

If you want to go back to it later, keeping your layers separate, save the project as a ".xcf"

This way when you open it up again it will be just as you left it.

To save images (that you do longer want to edit layers of) with transparent backgrounds, save the image as either a ".gif" or ".png"

Also, when exporting to one of these file types, do not "Flatten Image", instead right click any layer on the layers menu and click "Merge Visible Layers" before you save - This will make all of your layers merge into one, while keeping the transparency.

For the Magic Wand Tool, keep changing the Threshold. I suggest you fill the whole surrounding area of your image in white, then click the magic wand tool, then click the white. Zoom in a little to see if there's a gap between the outline of your image and the selection line. If so, keep increasing the threshold then clicking the white again until the selection line outlines the image like you want it to. Also sometimes the tool will leave almost, but not completely transparent pixels, to avoid this untick "Antialiasing" (Located somewhere above the threshold bar).

Once this is done, right click then go to Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel, then click delete and all the white should disappear. Afterwards, save accordingly (I mentioned above a good way to do this).

Sorry if this makes little sense. I tried my best to explain it but I'm not a great person at explaining things.

UUUUUGH WHERE WERE YOU HALF AN HOUR AGO WHEN I STARTED THIS ALL OVER...

oh well, i'll be sure to remember this next time I do something, thanks for the advice.

now I just need to figure out how to do animations in gimp..like making part of the image "shine" ..like letters and such

/edit

I also need to figure out how to download fonts I like and get them in there =/

I never make animations in GIMP so I can't help you there. But check out youtube tutorials for it! They usually help A LOT :)

Fonts on the other hand are an easier process.

If you want, type "Free Fonts" in Google and several good sites come up.

So..

- Choose a site

- Browse for fonts you like

- Click the right download (some vary depending on computer)

- Then if something pops up "Save" (can't remember if this is necessary but you can do it anyway) then "Open".

- The file will be a .zip so you need to find the part on the window that comes up which says "Extract all files", (or right click the individual font and click "extract"... then just accept everything in the extracting process which pops up.

- Then afterwards, right click any extracted fonts (probably will be in TrueType format or whatever the other one is) and right click and copy them.

- Then go, Start > Control Panel > Fonts... then you can simply paste any of the fonts you copied into that folder and they will be installed automatically (it should say this).

- When they are installed in this folder, they will appear in GIMP next time you open it.

Some computers have shorter ways of doing this, but I just said the basic way which most computers work with.

If you have a Mac, this process may be entirely different.

EDIT: Wow, I just read that and realised I have probably said this all very confusingly. Well.. I tried o_O

I never make animations in GIMP so I can't help you there. But check out youtube tutorials for it! They usually help A LOT :)

Fonts on the other hand are an easier process.

If you want, type "Free Fonts" in Google and several good sites come up.

So..

- Choose a site

- Browse for fonts you like

- Click the right download (some vary depending on computer)

- Then if something pops up "Save" (can't remember if this is necessary but you can do it anyway) then "Open".

- The file will be a .zip so you need to find the part on the window that comes up which says "Extract all files", (or right click the individual font and click "extract"... then just accept everything in the extracting process which pops up.

- Then afterwards, right click any extracted fonts (probably will be in TrueType format or whatever the other one is) and right click and copy them.

- Then go, Start > Control Panel > Fonts... then you can simply paste any of the fonts you copied into that folder and they will be installed automatically (it should say this).

- When they are installed in this folder, they will appear in GIMP next time you open it.

Some computers have shorter ways of doing this, but I just said the basic way which most computers work with.

If you have a Mac, this process may be entirely different.

EDIT: Wow, I just read that and realised I have probably said this all very confusingly. Well.. I tried o_O

nope, makes complete sense..i do basically the same thing with brushes, just wasn't sure if it was the same with fonts, thanks!!

Oh, yeah it's exactly the same :)

Though I think for brushes you need to save them in the GIMP folder?

Whereas with fonts, you're saving them for your whole PC rather than just GIMP so they can just go in control panel & will appear in GIMP too (& MS Paint, Word processors etc).

Oh, yeah it's exactly the same :)

Though I think for brushes you need to save them in the GIMP folder?

Whereas with fonts, you're saving them for your whole PC rather than just GIMP so they can just go in control panel & will appear in GIMP too (& MS Paint, Word processors etc).

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh

im so excited I got it to work..now I just dont know how to get the text onto the image..lol

What do you mean? :O

You just need to use the text tool, click on your image, it will come up with a text box. Choose the words and set the format, then use the move tool to place it where you want it to go on the image.

What do you mean? :O

You just need to use the text tool, click on your image, it will come up with a text box. Choose the words and set the format, then use the move tool to place it where you want it to go on the image.

no i mean i guess in order to make animated text you have to make it in a completely different window and it take about 100 layers..i just dont know how to put it directly on the image I want now..gonna try something out