Paying real money for virtual items, and lending

Cornflakes

So as we all know, getting the Space Faerie av requires buying a prize code with real life money that is a one-time use thing and gives you a prize item along with getting her as a BD challenger.

But then there are people on the neoboards who beg to be "lent" a SF code. Most of them say "When you give me the code, I will send the item I get back to you." And then there is the occasional post that says "I will give you the SF code" and they always specify that they want the item you get to be sent back to them!

I take issue with this. Isn't this basically tipping? Or at the very least, using real money to buy items from someone else?

-- Two things that are against the rules.

Now then. Why is it wrong for me to say "I will give you an SF code if you lend me your ZDAP?" or something like that. Because I'm not getting anything in return, just lent.

I personally refuse to spend money on neo. Grated I spend enough time on here that premium would be super useful for me but I just don't see the point. I had a very nice person give me a SF code but she didn't ask for the item or anything in return.

I don't overly think that it is right to have a avatar like this that can only be obtained using NC. In this case it is unfair in that not everyone has access to it (location) or the money for it.

Another way to look at it is lending the Hidden Tower avatar. They lend the 600k and ask for the paintbrush back. Should that be against the rules also? I don't know it all seems like grey area to me.

Well, I probably wouldn't arrange such a deal because Neo might frown on it, and I wouldn't risk it.

But in theory, I don't have a problem with it. I don't see it as asking for payment or anything.

I look at it this way:

A person who bought an item that has a code, enters it, and now has the BD challenger. If he or she buys another real life item, they would get whatever random neo item from entering the code, but they already have the SF as a challenger.

So if they allow someone else to enter the code, that person gets the challenger and then sends the item back to the person who bought the item with a code, they are getting the same random item from entering a code as if they entered it themselves, but they just made it possible for someone to get the SF along the way. Isn't that just doing someone a kindness?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but TNT might, because they wouldn't make money out of the person who go the SF code. But for someone like me, who lives in Canada, I would need someone to give me an SF code because I cannot buy neopet items here. And it would simply be a kindness to give the item back to the person, even if they didn't ask for it. But yes, like it was said earlier, it is all gray area.